Search results

1. grinch

Diminished interest results increased hair algae

I have been a bad, bad, boy, and allowed my little reef (8 gallons) to go crazy. I now am the proud owner of lots and lots of hair algae, and a cyanobacteria outbreak. I only have one fish remaining, a yellow shrimpgoby. Sooooooo.. Do I a) empty the whole enchilada and start over, returnng...
  2. grinch

turf algae

Ok, so I read a recent thread that touts turf algae as the low tech method to completely filter an aquarium, just throw a window screen on a 5 gall bucket, add some high lumen clip ons lights, and let it grow..... I am having a hard time with this one.
  3. grinch

something's eating my starfish

I have had a red starfish for about 6 mos and in the last 5 days I have noticed his arms appear to be being chewed on. One is definitely shorter. and had white strings coming from the end. The only thing in the tank is a shrimpgoby, and emerald crab and some COC, ????? ps having a cyano...
  4. grinch

I have been a bad bad boy

So I went all out and read and read and read and set up my tank, and then had issues, then got bummed, then depressed, then totally disinterested. I have put my hobby on "ignore" and I am so embarassed. Now I have cyano (at least I think so it is purple-y and hair algae!!) So i guess I owe it...
  5. grinch

Fiji premium rock

Being of the school "If it appears to good to be true, it probably is" I ran across this ad for "ultra premium Fiji live rock" on Ebay for 3.00/lb the seller is Wholesale Aquatic supplies, anyone have experience with them?? I am planning to purchase 50-75lbs in two orders. The pictures show...
  6. grinch

more bad advice from LFS?

I just bought a used 75g tank that was a reef. The way my LFS owner had it set up, he used a uindergravel filter. overflow to a bak pak skimmer, 110g refugium and mag700 for return. Anyway the sand is still in there, it has been down for 6 months. He says "keep the sand, rinse it in saltwater...
  7. grinch

Death camp for shrimp??

Ok so it is now official, I am running the death camp of shrimpdom. First a coral banded, he disappeared within 3 days, no parts were found. Second a beuatiful fire shrimp, about a week, and found dead covered with white slime. Third, today found my cleaner shrimp in the same condition...
  8. grinch

mushrooms scrunched

Have had some purple shrooms in my tank for 2 months, now scrunching up , don't seem to open fully anymore? worry, not worry?
  9. grinch

Did I just do something stupid?

I recently got some advice about replacing bioball junk with LR rubble. So I had a piece I removed from my tank, and it:fishy: was out and dry for 3 weeks, yesterday I broke it up and put it back in my tank, hoping to innoculate it again with bacteria. My question is, is this dangerous? could I...
  10. grinch

wreck-0-mendations please

Am losing the rest of my sanity and setting up a 75g. My questions are 1. The tank has some wet live sand in it, with coraline, shold I wash it? pitch it? or just fill it? It has been sitting for 3-6 months 2. Refugium, good suggestions for a powerful PS 3. returns, one or two (considering...
  11. grinch

readjusted my sights

OK so I was ready to buy a used 120g from my LFS for a good price, when I went to see it, he also had a beautiful 70g tank, hood, lights (2 PCat 300+watts)and stand, also threw in a 30g refusgium with Live sand still in it all for $750. This is a better fit for my room, and I think a bargain so...
  12. grinch

clownfish sleeping in leather coral

I was stuck in a hospital waiting room for hours over the W/E. (bummer) BUT they had a big reef aquarium and I watched for hours with the lights off, I saw a percula clown laying down on its side in a leather coral~ I know they host in certain anenomes, but is this behavior common?
  13. grinch

Alien in my tank?

can anyone ID this round, egg looking striped thing that is in my LR? just noticed it
  14. grinch

Suggestions on setting up 125g

My LFS has a used 125g set up (tank/stand) that was used for freshwater. He is willing to sell for not a bunch of money. Knowing the equip expense I am looking for some sugg on filter/RO/PS setups and most of all LIGHTING. I am planning a reef so will need some big guns (MH vs PC vs t5) so all...
  15. grinch

shrinking pipe organ

I purchased a pipe organ coral from the LFS about one month ago. It has been slowly shrinking by the day. Tried moving it up inder the lights, but it became shriveled under the return, so I moved it down to bottm, now shrinking continues (in the middle) Also the LFS called it a xenia, but...
  16. grinch

wasting away

I am confused at the happenings in my reef. I have lost a frogspawn, a xenia, and a bubble coral, each at different intervals, all with ok water parameters, and each seems to just shrink up and fade away. I supplement with marinvits with strontium, add calcium routinely, others doing ok (but not...
  17. grinch

adding O2 to covered tank

the more I read, the more I believe I need to add suplemental O2 to my tank. It has a tightly covered top (good to keep my 6line in the tank) but apparently bad for 02 exchange. :ponder2: Have not had o2 tested, but reef is ok not really "flourishing" like pics I see.
  18. grinch

RO water

:snrkl: :snrkl: The LFS is selling RO water for 75 cent/gallon. Is it worth it for my 8 gal Oceanic biocube (it is too small to fit any decent protein skimmer without ading a refugium. I am now doing 20% water changes weekly, and notice my corals get a burned look from freshly mixed saltwater...
  19. grinch

Lighting adequacy

I am trying to determine if my "all in one" reef package has enoght lighting to maintain corals. It is an 8 gallon Oceanic Biocube with a 10,000K 18 watt double tube, and an Actinic double tube. Also has lunar LEDs.Depth of tank is 11 inches, most of the corals would be 3-4 inches from these...
  20. grinch

protein skimmer for nano-reef

I am atempting to add a protein skimmer to my Biocube 8 gall. Problem is the ones made by Oceanic only fit the 14 and 29 gallon sizes. Try as I might I could not get the PS to fit in mine. When placed inside the aquarium, the chamber fills with water, very little bubbles. When placed in bioball...