Search results

1. Lee

Chaeto all died...

I got this big ball of chaeto that I had in my new sump and in all turned white and died after a couple weeks... Could lack of water flow be a cause? I was concerned that the water flow through the sump was only skimming off the top layer. I could add a nano powerhead or something. I had a...
  2. Lee

Any obvious flaws/recommendations/suggestions to this 55g sump plan?

I currently have a dual-tank sump where my drains split and feed two separate tanks; a refugium on the right, sump/skimmer on the left. Kinda like this (only the fuge has been moved to a separate tank to the right as in the 2nd picture) My problems with this setup are: -complete...
  3. Lee

Sebae to Coralife 14g Biocube?

I want to move my Sebae anemone and corals to a Coralife 14g Biocube, but I'm not sure if the dual PC lighting is enough for the hungry Sebae anemone. He's been living under high powered LED's for the past 9 months or so I see nems in Biocubes all the time at LFS's... Wondering what your...
  4. Lee

Can't seem to shake this HA problem... Experts enter

I've been battling Hair Algae for a couple years now across two separate tanks. I have tried virtually everything that has been suggested to me and I'm just stumped. Every time I post a thread like this, I get lots of generic answers about doing water changes, skimming, using RO water...
  5. Lee

What's the best way to manually remove hair algae from LR?

I had a long thread going about algae control, and I had it pretty well under control as of late, but after my last WC, I had a massive outbreak of this green/brown fuzzy hair algae (see below). I just set up a GFO reactor the other day, and I treated the water with a marine algicide and...
  6. Lee

Advice on a Hippo Tang vs Blue throat Trigger conflict

First, the background info: -125g (6' x 18" x 22") tank -Tank age; approximately 8 months -Full back wall covered in Live Rock Inhabitants: -4" Yellow Tang (8 months) -6" Blue Hippo Tang (6 months) -2 firefish (8 months) -2 ocelaris clowns (2 months) -6 line wrass (8 months) -3"...
  7. Lee

Best ways to control algae in tanks without CUC's

After an ich infestation courtesy of my LFS that killed off 5 out of 10 fish, I'm thinking of going in a new direction with my tank. Instead of doing a full blown reef, I'm considering getting some more aggressive, non-reef safe fish. I bought a CUC with over 300 snails, but they are doing a...
  8. Lee

Medium sized in-sump skimmer recommendations

First off, I apologize for being lazy; I could totally figure this out on my own, but I started searching this forum today and after 10 minutes, I had about 75 threads to read and dozens of skimmers listed, and I don't have all that much time for this kind of research anymore. So instead of...
  9. Lee

Lee's 125g Basement Bar in-wall tank, LED's, etc, begins...

Since buying our new house 3 years ago, I had always planned to build a 6 foot aquarium into a basement bar. Since then, I've been very slowly working to achieve that goal. I am starting this thread because I am hoping that documenting my progress will help me gain a little more ambition to...
  10. Lee

Nuisance algae ID and fixes? (pics)

Looking for an ID, cause, and a way to prevent it. I am relocating the tank to a 125g in the basement very soon, and I want to do whatever is necessary to prevent this crap from taking over the new tank as well. I am willing to add UV, ozone, chemicals, large clean up crew... Whatever is...
  11. Lee

Question for people with tanks built into walls

I have been planning a 125g 6' tank that is going into a basement bar wall, and something just hit me: Q: When your tank is build into a wall, how do you clean the tank? Normally when I do water changes, I use a siphon tube and vacuum up any loose cyano algae, and I sometimes scrape the...
  12. Lee

Total overrun pest infestation, advice?

My tank is around 5-6 years old, (90g reef) and after its final move, I lost about half of my fish; all my favorites. A couple beloved Tang's that had been with me for years, and a few other favorites. I'm left now with my damn biting clown fish, a couple chromis, and a Coral Beauty. The loss...
  13. Lee

Is my yellow leather dead?

This is the first and only leather I've ever had, is it dead? I can't tell and don't want it to pollute the tank if its dead. I just got done with a horrendous tank move from apartment to new house, and had some casualties already.... If its not dead, what should I look for or expect if it...
  14. Lee

Country livin fish... Questions for those on WELL water

I just moved out into the country, which is to say there is no public water, sewage, cable, or internet. The house was built 2 years ago and sat vacant until we bought the house this month. The well was drilled but never flushed out, so for the first week we had severe iron stains in the...
  15. Lee

How do you know if a plate coral is dead/dying?

I have this bright neon orange plate coral that usually opens up everyday; by opens up, I mean these small polyps extend out. It hasn't done this in over a week; it just stays closed up. The color hasn't changed at all; its still bright orange with full color. How can you tell if a plate...
  16. Lee

Serious Algae issues on sand/rock. What am I missing?

My tank is over 1 year old, as are most of the inhabitants, less a few corals Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 2 Phosphate: 0 Lights: Tek T5, bulbs probably about 1 year old I do not overfeed. I feed 2 cubes of frozen every day to some big fish. Nothing goes un-eaten. Lights are on 8...
  17. Lee

Is there anything I can do?

1 of my 5 blue/green Chromis has been isolating himself lately, swimming in place usually wedged in a rock crevasse somewhere, or else up against the glass. I've had two fish die in my tank in my first year, and they both behaved exactly like this before they died. The Chromis usually all...
  18. Lee

PC lights upgrading to T5

I have a 4 x 65 watt PC fixture right now (looks like this) and I'm looking to upgrade to a T5 fixture. Everyone says that T5 lighting has better light output than PC lights, so I'm wondering how certain T5 fixtures would compare to what I have now. I usually see 4 bulb, 6 bulb, or 8 bulb...
  19. Lee

clown compatability

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what, if any, clowns are compatible with one another? I mean different types; like if you have two tomato clowns, or two percula clowns, can you put other types of clowns in the same tank with them? Most fish sites give the vast majority of clownfish...
  20. Lee

Another carpet anemone thread/clown Q's

Over the past few weeks I've been looking into the requirements for owning a carpet anemone. I've read all the carpet anemone threads in this forum, but I still have some questions. Lighting: I read that they require stronger lighting. I currently have a 265w PC fixture and all medium/low...