Another carpet anemone thread/clown Q's

Lee

Over the past few weeks I've been looking into the requirements for owning a carpet anemone. I've read all the carpet anemone threads in this forum, but I still have some questions.

Lighting:
I read that they require stronger lighting. I currently have a 265w PC fixture and all medium/low light corals. Before I purchase anything that requires higher lighting, I plan to either replace the entire fixture with a multiple bulb T5 HO fixture, or add a 2 bulb T5 HO fixture in addition to my PC lights. But here's my question: Every time I see these carpet anemones in tanks, they always seem to be tucked away at least partially in the shadows. So why do they require high lighting? Are they photosynthetic? I know that photosynthetic corals absorb micro algae which essentially photosynthesize for them, but do anemones grow by this same process? If so, why do they hide and bury themselves away from the light? Seeing as though they feed regularly, it would seem like they aren't too dependent on light

Clowns:
I understand that clowns will often "guard" their host anemone and thus, protect fish from the anemone, so if I were to purchase a carpet, I fully intend to give it clownfish. Now, I currently have 2 ocellaris clown fish that were tank bred, not wild caught. Will these tank bred clowns ever live in this anemone because they were tank bred? Would I be better off getting a little tomato clown and newly introducing him to the tank? Suggestions?

Other fish:
My understanding is that these are sticky and they sting, so when a fish touches it, it gets stung and stuck. Honestly and realistically, what is the risk to larger fish? I am mostly concerned with my big, rare, expensive African Yellow Belly Hippo tang. He's on the larger side, and he's just a perfect specimen, and I couldn't bear to lose him. But he's big; probably 5" head to tail, and he's well fed (fatass). Is there any chance that a big, smart fish like this would fall to a carpet anemone? What about a pygmy angel? I expect the anemone to kill/eat a couple of my chromis, but I don't want to risk the bigger fish.

Feeding:
Do these require target feeding or will they grab bits of shrimp and stuff like cyclopeeze that I feed the fish? I also understand that the clowns will supply it with food, assuming that a clown has found it.

Handling:
An LFS has a green carpet right now, and the owner said it can give him a sting that makes his hands swell up. Any tips for handling these things? Rubber gloves? Do you just set them in the tank and let them find their own place, or should you suggest a spot for it? If I have a spot that I want it to go, should I bother putting him there?

Any other considerations I should be making?

rmlevasseur

1) They definitely contain symbiotic algae and require high lighting. MH, LED or T5. It is frustrating when they shrink away from the light. The most common cause is probably because they are adjusting to the new light.

2)Carpets are a definite risk to all fish in the tank, and sometimes even the clowns themselves. Its just what they do.

3)There are mixed feelings on this. A perfectly healthy nem probably can survive on the light alone, but it won't grow. Most recommend 1-2 small feeding per week. Target feeding is generally required unless you have very active clowns. You can overfeed them.

4)Different carpets have vary levels of stings. The most common are gigantea, haddoni, and mertensi. Definitely should wear gloves and try your best to only handle by the base. Some carpet will rip before they let go, so if they do stick to you or something else, its best to just be patient and wait a few minutes until it releases

5) IMO, carpets are best in their own tank with clowns. They can and will roam, and will sting corals and eat fish. The require impeccable water conditions, and an established tank. Some will tell you that given the high rate of failure with this animal, its unethical to even try. I'm not quite of that opinion, but it is foolish to try unless you are 100% prepared for their care.

Witfull

1)carpets are unique in the fact that they can move to regulate their lighting needs. they need strong light, but when it becomes to strong, they tuck up into the shade, then move out when they need it.

2)your clowns will probably find the carpet to be a home. i would not recommend a tomato, they get real nasty as they mature.

3)larger fish can escape the grasp of a carpet,,,,sometimes. this is an aggressive feeder. small fish will be eaten if they touch it. most fish reconise a carpet, ingrained instinct of some sort. but some form of night lighting is recommended. there is always a risk, a real risk, with these creatures.

4)they will feed on anything and everything, large or small. mine eats cyclopeeze to dinner shrimp. regular feeding of chunky foods every few weeks is needed.

5)yes rubber gloves. also, provide an area for them that includes, good light, overhand shelter, deep sand, and large rocks to roost against and moderate indirect water movement.

6) protect all pump inlets and powerhead from sucking them in.

BigJay

Handling:
An LFS has a green carpet right now, and the owner said it can give him a sting that makes his hands swell up.

Any other considerations I should be making?

I wonder if certain people are predisposed or more sensitive to nem's. I have touch dozens and never once felt anything from them or had a rash develop. But carpets are definetly grabby.
A pair of mated clowns hosting a carpet is a beautiful site. Its very tempting not to own one but be wary nems are difficult even for the faithful. They can do well for a really long time then just decide to go. Plus be aware of their size. If it does do well and gets too big for your tank it maybe difficult to get someone to take it off your hands.

Lee

Does anyone know acceptable water parameters to house one of these? I'm still not sure if I even want to bother with one.

Triggerjay

Does anyone know acceptable water parameters to house one of these? I'm still not sure if I even want to bother with one.

Natural saltwater levels,.... Which is something that is difficult to acheive in a home aquarium,.. and even more difficult than getting to natural saltwater levels is keeping them there.. Stability is key. Any fluctuation can poorly affect them.

Jason