Recent content by surplusrifleguy

1. S

Water Changes

I have a 34 gallon tank. I've had great luck with very frequent small water changes. I usually end up changing 3-4 gallons every 3-4 days depending on my schedule.
  2. S

Coral Question

My brain only feeds at night. I see tenticals every night. I feed him every 3-4 days, and I usually give him a half of a silverside.
  3. S

Reef Solution By Ecosystem

I used to use their products, and I hate them. When used as directed, I had major water quality issues. Now I only add Kalk when needed and I do very frequent water changes. Change 10-15 gallons a week and your tank will be much healthier than adding Reef Solutions. All your needed elements...
  4. S

SPS tanks?

I started with easy to keep soft and LPS corals. Then I tried one SPS and it did great. Now I have many different kinds of SPS's including acros and I haven't lost one yet. I've had a few close calls, that taught me a lot. My setup for my SPS's (34 gallon tank, t-5 power compact lighting...
  5. S

Rock turning white

I have the red sea max and I've found that I need to run my lights about 10 and half hours a day. Thats not why your coraline is turning white though. It could be many different reasons, however, the two most common are either your rock was out of the water to long, or your water parameters...
  6. S

Acrylic VS Glass

I currently have a glass tank and I'm thinking about purchasing a acrylic tank next time. My only concern is that scraping coraline might scratch the acrylic and create a nightmare. Most of my LFS say to get glass for this reason, however, glass is what they have in stock. I know acrylic is...
  7. S

JBJ nano cube HQI 28?

I know what you're saying. I thought about upgrading the max to HQI's but after seeing the price that went out the window. I will probably end up putting a tank together instead of buying a ready made one again. The max is built well, except for lighting (I prefer halides) and very VERY...
  8. S

Question about Green Star Polyps

I've learned my GSP don't like two things. 1. Iodine additives such as Lugols 2. The aluminum used in phosphate removers. (Blue Life's Phosphate Control) Be careful with those products and they will do great.
  9. S

JBJ nano cube HQI 28?

This tank looks pretty good, however, I am hoping to find someone who owns one and hear their opinion. I currently have the Red Sea Max, and I'm 50 /50 with it. I don't like the very limited amount of room in the back for adding a pump for a chiller. I like the lights, however, I feel they...
  10. S

Brain coral help

I feed it live brine shrimp and coral food mix. I've found it likes large food. It was doing great until I gave it away. Now I'm glad to here they can come back. By the way, it still has all green, and some of the brown.
  11. S

Interesting LFS experience

I have t-5's on my my tank and I have a little of everything. I have several SPS and LPS, a clam, and several soft corals. They are growing, and growing very well. Especially to my surprise, the SPS. I expected them to struggle, but the are growing very fast. I couldn't be happier. I've...
  12. S

Brain coral help

I've had a brain coral for several months with no problems. It opens and feeds properly and looks great. However, besides the sand there isn't a good place for it in my tank. So I gave it to my brother and it was fine for about three weeks, then overnight it started massive bleaching. It...
  13. S

Scrippts ocean water - Do I have an advantage?

The aquarium is okay, but mainly focuses on fish. I would like to see more reef tanks there. Also, for me at least, ocean water comes ready to go, and saves a lot of mixing time. Thats another reason I like it. Last, all the fish stores in Temecula where I live, run ocean water. Maybe, the...
  14. S

how fast does monitpora grow?

I have a small orange frag of Montipora that was given to me about 4 weeks ago. It's already encrusted onto a rock it was touching and seems to growing fast. I really like the orange because it glows under the moonlights. I placed it in the middle of my tank, and I have t-5 HO's. It's...
  15. S

Scrippts ocean water - Do I have an advantage?

Hi, my question might seem odd, but might I have an advantage using real ocean water from Scrippts in San Diego(over using synthetic salt mixes)? My water is delivered to my LFS and then cycled 24 hours and runs through a UV. I used to have another reef tank a couple years ago, and it was...