Question about Green Star Polyps

nstiesi

I got a small piece of GSP mat yesterday. It was about 2x2 inches, and I cut it in half to split with my brother. The heads were open in the store, and predictably they closed up when the LFS guy plucked them out. They haven't opened since. Clearly they are stressed from cut and placement, but does anyone have any experiences with how long it may take them to open?

Thanks.

lcstorc

It can easily take a week. Even once they are established they can go on a pout sometimes. (This said by the person who has killed the unkillable GSP. :) They were fine for a year and then poof gone overnight)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's one thing you WILL learn in this hobby. Patience will save you.

GSP's are VERY hardi and will (in most cases... Lynn...) be almost like a weed.

Good luck and happy reefing :)

DAHansen

I think I'm in 2nd place. I had a rock about 4"x4" that was absolutely covered in GSP and now there is only a teeny tiny bit. It doesn't help that my tuxedo urchin ran away with half of what was left a week or so ago.

Ntsiesi, Give them a few days and they should be fine.

lcstorc

I've got to get one of those urchins. They are so cute changing their hats all of the time. Not sure how happy I would be if it was in my tank though. I'll just enjoy everybody's pics of them.

burning2nd

Patience IS KEY

gsp are eazy... but not as eazy as Ysp's

just give them a mod-low flow and let them be....
they will move and grow shortly.

nstiesi

Patience pays.....

gsp.jpg

(sorry, my camera is not great for macros)

Lee

Mine took about a week to come out full. They'd half emerge for a few days, slowly coming out more. I've found that mine are very sensitive to salinity. If I drop below 1.023, they won't come out. They seem to like 1.024-1.026

brandon

no worries i got a large gsp frag a little over a week ago and and ive only seen a few pollys come out of it here and there.

I've learned my GSP don't like two things.
1. Iodine additives such as Lugols
2. The aluminum used in phosphate removers. (Blue Life's Phosphate Control)

Be careful with those products and they will do great.