Recent content by openbrain

1. O

skimmer question

Thanks Jay and everyone for the info. No, there not that hard to build I just need to diy a clone myself first. lol
  2. O

skimmer question

Thanks everyone for the info. Jay, I told him he was going to spend around $200.00, he seemed to be alright with that. He seems to be swaying toward an hob, I personally don't know anything about them but a couple of people have said they're ok. I'm still looking at them and haven't made a...
  3. O

skimmer question

The foot print is 12"x24". How noisy is the hob? I was looking to put it in the sump to lower the noise.
  4. O

skimmer question

I'm setting up a 40g with a 20g sump for a cousin, what would you recommend for a skimmer? Something that will go into the sump.
  5. O

Happy Birthday openbrain and dwall174!

Thanks everyone.
  6. O

DSB Removal Pics To This Point!

Congrats to you and your wife Johnny. :bigbounce :bigbounce :bigbounce That was one hell of a project but it looks like it was worth it, the end result looks great.... good luck.
  7. O

It's Super Bowl Morning!

Yup! supposed to be a heat wave here also, it might get to the freezing mark. GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
  8. O

The eye candy trap caught me big time

David, what are you going to do with the tank? Are you going with a reef or just fish? That will help you in your decisions. If your going with a reef, You'd need a 400w halide every 2' x2' area with some actinic supplementation depending on the color of the bulbs you decide on. Good luck...
  9. O

A good sump pump??

Oops! Ya, thats it karma......
  10. O

A good sump pump??

Nick, thats a wicked good idea..... That is probably the best idea I've seen in a long time to regulate water flow...... I'd give you kudos but I don't know how..... :rolleyes:
  11. O

Nano/Micro (that means small right?)

ok, I have 2 icecap thermo fans on the 180 at this time of the year the heaters have a hard time keeping up, but when it's 85-90 deg. f the tank gets way too hot.... We have installed an air conditioner in the room and that solved the problem, I'm just worried about the temp in a smaller tank...
  12. O

Nano/Micro (that means small right?)

How do you keep your tank from overheating? I'd love to have a nano tank but I have a hard enough time keeping the 180 cool.
  13. O

What to do with base rock?

Tom, Just saw this post now ..... I've added a lot off "dead" rock to the tank after boiling and have had no problems with it. Just make sure you rinse well.... HTH.
  14. O

Should I consider starting again

Good job Man!!!! I'm impressed with what you've done so far, you are doing a great job..... In time you'll have the tank of your dreams, keep up the good work. To help the curing process I used a small powerhead to blow off the rocks, (held it in my hand) this works much better than a...
  15. O

Should I consider starting again

Our first batch of live uncured was the same way, in fact it got worse before it got better. As soon as the tank cycled we put some hermits in there and they went to town on the rock, in a couple of days the rock looked much better. (I know Wit, crabs are evil) :D In a couple months it...