DSB Removal Pics To This Point!

Spooda420

looks good man, so what was the exact reason you took the DSB out? I read in the first post that you had some Hair Algae but was that the reason or was the tank high in n/n/a?

I think Im going to take my DSB out also, I know its a alot of work and gonna take some time but I think it will help.

tank looks good.

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hey Spooda420! I took out the DSB because I was constantly fighting algae and lots of phosphates leaking up out of the sand!

Water perms were not good either!

Thanks everyone for the kind words as I appreciate it! The tank really does look really clear now and hopefully things will get better from here!:)

openbrain

Congrats to you and your wife Johnny. :bigbounce :bigbounce :bigbounce

That was one hell of a project but it looks like it was worth it, the end result looks great.... good luck.

Scooterman

Hey Johnny, how did you get your rocks off the bottom? Man looks great, I can't beleive how quick all this took place! Did you use some of the old water? Your fish look like the're doing well!

Montanareefer

Scott! Most of the LR is off the glass due to placement of LR and natural formation under the LR which allowed this to happen. There is not much touching the glass which I really like.

The fish are doing really well considering the stress of catching them to put in a tub and then catching them again to put back in the main tank. The lawnmover blenny was the hardest fish to catch. :)

I used about half of the old water and the rest was new fresh water that I made the night before.:)

Montanareefer

If any of you may want to know the cost of this project well here is the list:

1. A roll of paper towel. $.60
2. Two tubs. $11.00
3. Half of bag of IO. salt. $ 9.00
4. New titanium heater. $44.00
5. Cheese cloth for carbon. $ 2.00
_____
Total: $66.60

Also Pat and my labor which was the tough part! Hard to put a price on that except the reward of what happens after!:)

Flatlander

Hi Johnny. Lookin good. :D Should stay a lot cleaner. Did you have it drilled or not running the sump yet? I also use a Won titanium. Best heater I have owned so far.

Montanareefer

Hey Doug! No I did not have it drilled. Going to use an overflow and hope to have the sump/refugium and cal reactor working in the near future!:)

mojoreef

Just a reefer
WOW Magoo you have been a busy boy. Been thier and have done that, not a pretty job. The new scaping looks awesome my friend. Man that is going to be a nice looking tank when your done. Pat must be pooped to. take the night off and enjoy the game...you did good.

Mike

MINIATUS

This whole excercise has convinced me to go with a thin layer instead of a DSB. I just finished mine about a hour ago. The SD DSB was like a block of clay, so I wonder how anything could live in it. My back is killing me from digging out all that sand. Never again, Ill listen to MOJO more closely next time.

Question for Johnny, did you cement the rock together to get the rock to stay that way.

MINIATUS :D

Montanareefer

Miniatus I did not cemet the rocks together. Lots of practice and know what LR will go together. I bet your glad it is all over with as well. It is alot of work but well worth it!:D

Thanks alot Mike on the comments and next project is sump/refugium hook-up. ;) Then it will be the cal-reactor. :)

Also going to test the water in the next couple of days and see how that is as well!:)

MINIATUS

Well worth it except for all the lost creatures that forced this clean up.
Ill spend a few days trying to put a good display together, and hope for the best.

Thanks again for your taking the time to show the process of the setup.

MINIATUS:)