New RSM 130D Owner.

GregD

Hey all,
New to the forum and to RSM. After a few months of research, I made the decision to purchase a RSM130D. I purchased my tank from a local shop and decided to use an aftermarket stand to better match the other furniture in my home.
I also added a small strip of LED blue lights to the hood to give much more moon light to the tank.
I have added 40lbs of LR and mixed two different types of substrate foe a very natural look (IMO). Tank has been up and running for almost 1 week. At this point i have not seen a Ammonia spike but will continue to monitor for Nitrites/Nitrates.
My past aquarium experiences were very successful in keeping fish only salt water tanks . This will my first attempt in keeping corals (after a 10yr break from the hobby)and look forward to getting it established and growing/maintaining mostly soft corals.

I have taken note on many of the posts here that most of you have made significant upgrades/mods to your stock equipment. What are some of the items i should look to improve right out of the gate? seems like there is quite a bit of chatter regarding the skimmer. I have been working with a the stock skimmer to find a happy medium with the micro bubbles. At this point i think i have them at bay. But there is not a hole of skimming going on as the tank is still very new.
I am open to all of your comments and suggestions, and look forward to contributing to this forum as i learn the art of keeping my new RSM!

I will try to add a couple of pics of the current rock scape.

GregD

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0919.jpg
    IMG_0919.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Congrats on the RSM 130D & great start ! Thanks for starting a tank thread !

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You are very welcome, photobucket is really easy to use once you get the hang and have loaded one, if you have any questions, just ask everyone will help (or feel free to PM me if you want) :)

artpics

Welcome to the club.

just get a new heater
stock skimmer is fine
wait for the tank to fully cycle then get rid of the bio media under the pumps your rock will take over the bacteria by then.
replace bio media with some chemipure elite and discard the carbon

enjoy your new tank

GregD

Well after a fews days away and not being able to log inn succesfully from home. Here is the latest on my 130D start up.
Tank is cycling well as my Amonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH are all in check. The Tank has been on line for a total of 9 days and there is life forming on the rock. I have two feather dusters that emerged over the last few days and a light brown algea on my substrate. i am starting to see some hair algea and wonder if i should plan to get rid of it asap, or will my CUC take care of it when they are introduced this weekend?
Also, when should i plan my first water change/ befoer or after the CUC has been at work.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Greg here the syntax
when you right click on the pic look under properties for the url

Here the one below ... I replaced brackets with a z so you could see :)

zimgzhttp://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/GregD68/IMG_0918.jpgz/imgz

Looks great !

IMG_0918.jpg

GregD

Hey All,
Another update on my 130D start up.
Cycle is all but done. Tank looks great and my clean up crew did an excellent job of removing all green hair algae.
Decided today to add another 15lbs of rock to my structure. Felt there was not enough rock to get enough light to sensitive corals.
So, looks like another 2/3 weeks of cycling before any live stock is added. I will try to post pics of new rock scape this weekend.

GregD

GregD

Well, i finally figures out how to post some pics of my new rock scape.
There are lots of nooks and caves with this scape and the hieght of the rock is much higher than before. Look to do my first water change this weekend and then prob add something live the following. Ths will be a total of 6 weeks of cycle time.
Let me know what you think of the new scape, unfortunatly my camera skills dont really show the depth and contour of the rock scape.

DSCN6088.jpg

DSCN6079.jpg

DSCN6077.jpg

DSCN6090.jpg

DSCN6082.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ahh gotcha. I understand completely. Ever tried to switch over to FireFox? It's MUCH better than IE.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Also you have what appears to be "aiptasia" in this pic
DSCN6077.jpg

You may want to address it while small #'s.