Grow out system?

Frankie

RS STAFF
Everything looks great Doni :thumbup:
I had an 8000btu ac running in the garage and it worked good. Yours must be perfect with that beast! :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Thanks Frankie :)
Yes, the window unit works great. It serves as the AC and HEATER in the winter time. I am VERY happy with it~!

Willie McDaries

wow!!!! absolutely amazing Doni...love this thread,I've checked out your web site but had never read through this thread.....great job :thumbup:

do you ever plan to try to breed any other type of fish ? looks like you've mastered the clowns :D

Woodstock

RS STAFF
:D
I have A. occellaris, percula, akindynos, latezonatus & mccullochi clown pairs, and bangaii, alleni damsel, and peppermint shrimp :eek:

I have raised occellaris, percula, bangaii, reidi seahorses and peppermnint shrimp. The alleni damsels spawn constantly but I am still trying to acquire the proper first-foods for them.

The others I am waiting for them to spawn :)

I have recently sold my two reidi pairs to someone who has a lot more room/time to raise them and have converted the chilled-65 gallon to a mccullochi clown tank!

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Mine have paired up and are 'cleaning' but haven't spawned yet.... I should try different music :D

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I feed them anything and everything! :) Frozen homemade mush and any other frozen foods they'll eat. Sometimes pellets but not often.
I am currently having a phytoplankton bloom (water born algae) in my breeder system so I've had to cut back on their feedings for now.
I need to set up one of my UV filters to help clear the water (kill the algae).

Willie McDaries

I feed them anything and everything! :) Frozen homemade mush and any other frozen foods they'll eat. Sometimes pellets but not often.
I am currently having a phytoplankton bloom (water born algae) in my breeder system so I've had to cut back on their feedings for now.
I need to set up one of my UV filters to help clear the water (kill the algae).

cool.....mine don't seem to be too picky about what I feed 'em,I was just curious if there was a food or supplement that would make 'em more likely to spawn.....I just keep watching and hoping :D thanks

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hi Doni!

Of all your different skimmers, which one do you like the best and why?

humm... I like ALL the skimmers I have right now which include:
asm G3 w/sedra 5000
euro reef (two of these)
vertex 350 (huge skimmer)
tunze 9005
remora hang on

They are all on different sized systems/tanks and all serve the purpose very well. I would replace them if they didn't ;)

I would recommend all of the above :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hi Eileen.
The Vertex replaced the Octopus and does a much better job IMO. It is on the hatching system.

The growout has a EuroReef with a drain hose on the skimmer cup which empties into a 5 gallon pail.

With that said, I am preparing (within the next few months) to rearrange the hatching system and reduce the sump size. If the Vertex won't fit, I will change over to another EuroReef.

saltwaterfan1

Hey Doni ,

I am new to the breeding side of things and was wondering how to setup enough rotifers for a setup half the size of yours. Any info would be helpful.
BTW amazing setup.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hi Saltwaterfan1 ! Welcome to Reef Sanctuary :hallo:

• A container that is wide is best (more surface area for better gas exchange). Some people use glass aquariums or buckets with success.
  • add a gentle airstone
  • A heater is not necessary but can be used to ramp up reproduction if necessary (just be careful not to crash the culture).
  • Ambient light is all that is required.
  • Feedings every 12 hours is needed but just enough to tint the water green. Feeding too much will polute/crash the culture. I use an algae paste (store in refrigerator) but you can use live algae.
  • use an ammonia neutralizer as needed (at each feeding)
  • clean container weekly
  • once rotifer density is high, harvest 1/4-1/3 daily or every other day depending on reproduction rates.
  • keep more than one culture as backups just incase one crashes

saltwaterfan1

Thanks Doni,

First off thank you for the rotifer help.

I just setup my main 65 gallon tank and 29 gallon sump and im dealing with a lot of cloudy water sunday was the first full day with the system being on and its still just as cloudy today any help with this? I think I might have started off wrong with adding the dry sand after the tank was filled any thing i can do to clear it up?

I had a fulval 205 laying around so I set that up for the tank as I have been reading a lot of forums on this matter and the all say mechanical filtration helps with this.

Thanks
Brian

saltwaterfan1

Hi Saltwaterfan1 ! Welcome to Reef Sanctuary :hallo:

• A container that is wide is best (more surface area for better gas exchange). Some people use glass aquariums or buckets with success.
  • add a gentle airstone
  • A heater is not necessary but can be used to ramp up reproduction if necessary (just be careful not to crash the culture).
  • Ambient light is all that is required.
  • Feedings every 12 hours is needed but just enough to tint the water green. Feeding too much will polute/crash the culture. I use an algae paste (store in refrigerator) but you can use live algae.
  • use an ammonia neutralizer as needed (at each feeding)
  • clean container weekly
  • once rotifer density is high, harvest 1/4-1/3 daily or every other day depending on reproduction rates.
  • keep more than one culture as backups just incase one crashes
Thanks Doni,

First off thank you for the rotifer help.

I just setup my main 65 gallon tank and 29 gallon sump and im dealing with a lot of cloudy water sunday was the first full day with the system being on and its still just as cloudy today any help with this? I think I might have started off wrong with adding the dry sand after the tank was filled any thing i can do to clear it up?

I had a fulval 205 laying around so I set that up for the tank as I have been reading a lot of forums on this matter and the all say mechanical filtration helps with this.

Thanks
Brian