Grow out system?

saltwaterfan1

First off thank you for the rotifer help.

I just setup my main 65 gallon tank and 29 gallon sump and im dealing with a lot of cloudy water sunday was the first full day with the system being on and its still just as cloudy today any help with this? I think I might have started off wrong with adding the dry sand after the tank was filled any thing i can do to clear it up?

I had a fulval 205 laying around so I set that up for the tank as I have been reading a lot of forums on this matter and the all say mechanical filtration helps with this.

Thanks
Brian

saltwaterfan1

First off thank you for the rotifer help.

I just setup my main 65 gallon tank and 29 gallon sump and im dealing with a lot of cloudy water sunday was the first full day with the system being on and its still just as cloudy today any help with this? I think I might have started off wrong with adding the dry sand after the tank was filled :banghead: any thing i can do to clear it up?

I had a fulval 205 laying around so I set that up for the tank as I have been reading a lot of forums on this matter and the all say mechanical filtration helps with this.

Thanks
Brian

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The cloudy water will clear up in about 2 days without doing anything. :thumbup:

Ohhh.. if your tank is not cycled (the sand or rock),please do not cycle your tank with live fish! You can cycle it with a raw cocktail shrimp or two... or with another ammonia source.

Don't be in a rush!

eileen

Hi!
A while back you mentioned you were going to try an algae scrubber. Which system did you put it on?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hi!
A while back you mentioned you were going to try an algae scrubber. Which system did you put it on?

I have not done so yet. I have some neato ideas but have not had the time (or energy) to follow through with them ;)
I have huge refugiums now in each system... but not a 'scrubber'.

SuperClown

Hi Eileen.
The Vertex replaced the Octopus and does a much better job IMO. It is on the hatching system.

The growout has a EuroReef with a drain hose on the skimmer cup which empties into a 5 gallon pail.

With that said, I am preparing (within the next few months) to rearrange the hatching system and reduce the sump size. If the Vertex won't fit, I will change over to another EuroReef.

hey Donni I tried looking up that vertex 350 skimmer was that a typo I couldn't find it anywhere could I get a link? Im setting up a similar system to yours and I really would like some more info on that skimmer thanks

I agree with Doni. Sacrificiing live fish is absurd. For all intensive purposes, you could piss in your tank and get a better result (yes, its the same ammonia).

txpaul

spent the last few hours reading your threads. i have recently been planning on a small setup for coral and your story just inspires me.

xjaydub20x

Awesome build! I have something similar but on a much smaller scale. Also got some new ideas for improvements - thanks!

Jake Levi

Hi Doni

It took awhile but well worth it,

I dont recall your saying anything on cool water for the Latz Clowns, do you use a cooler for them or are they the same as the others?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Awesome build! I have something similar but on a much smaller scale. Also got some new ideas for improvements - thanks!
I'm glad you found it helpful!! :)

Hi Doni

It took awhile but well worth it,

I dont recall your saying anything on cool water for the Latz Clowns, do you use a cooler for them or are they the same as the others?

Hi Jake.
I try to keep the latz at a cooler temp by using a fan across their tank's water surface. It helps a little eventhough the system is a slow flow-through.

Jake Levi

Hi Doni

THanks, I am moving right now, got half the tanks in place only a couple with water and this weekend will get the filter cycling through them, it was doing well until I took it all apart two weeks ago,

how many gph are moving through your system with the Latzs? How many tanks in that system?

I have a deep gravel filter in the sump and a refugia with chaeto and sand, live rocks in most tanks. I may put a couple jawfish in the refugia. May even make a much bigger one for the jawfish and the sand and macroalgae

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hi Doni

THanks, I am moving right now, got half the tanks in place only a couple with water and this weekend will get the filter cycling through them, it was doing well until I took it all apart two weeks ago,

how many gph are moving through your system with the Latzs? How many tanks in that system?

I have a deep gravel filter in the sump and a refugia with chaeto and sand, live rocks in most tanks. I may put a couple jawfish in the refugia. May even make a much bigger one for the jawfish and the sand and macroalgae

Jake,
How did the move go?

For my latz tank, there is a slow flow-through to the 300+ growout system and a korallia powerhead but I don't recall the size of the korallia... It is the medium size one I think. Maybe 700gph?. The latz enjoy the water flow.
Be sure to cover any tank well that have jawfish in it.

ibreedclowns

so inspired for my growout/breeding setup! I cant wait to start my projects and show you what ive learned from reading these 23 pages!! Thank-you for the boost in confidence and showing me that the growout system i had in my head wasnt "out of the question"!