Grow out system?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Do you have a grow out system or a multi-tank system?
If so, explain it and/or post pics so I can get some ideas.

I am out of room in my house and need to create a multi-tank system in my garage... :updown:

I don't want too many so I am thinking of only 5 x 20 gal tall tanks-- all plumbed together using a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank for a sump.

Using only 5 tanks will not allow me to keep every spawn but I will have room for about every other one...

Help!! I need some ideas!! :snrkl:

Triggerjay

Sounds like a rack system in the makings. I would make a large shelf unit, that could hold two levels of tanks out of 2X4's. I would place the sump directly on the concrete floor to aid in cooling. As far as plumbing, I will have to draw something up. I will go play with google sketchup and see what I can come up with. I have an idea in my head for removeable tanks to make cleaning easier. Lemme see what I can do.. It may take me a little while..

Jason

Triggerjay

Oh yeah,... whats the footprint on the 20g's? I could go downstairs and measure mine,.. but im lazy! lol..

Jason

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Thanks Jason! Footprint?? hummm... about 8'x12' or so.
The 'work bench' that I stole from my husband is 71"x28"x33" high. It will easily old 5 x 20 gal tall (16" high) tanks with a 100 gallon Rubbermaid Brute stock tank underneath.

I went to the feed store yesterday to measure the Brute stock tank an it will fit. I like it because it is so thick and will definately help with insulating the water's temp.
But I will only have about 6-7" from the top of its lip to the bottom of the table... I think I can get by with that.... can't I?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I might utilize it or I might not.... I have a carpenter coming over Friday to give me an estimate on something I haven't figured out yet. :rolleyes:

If I do utilize the work bench, I might have the carpenter to make an additional wooden shelf for few smaller tanks.... Or maybe build right onto the current work bench?? :dunno:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hmm, did you look at my new filtration system Doni? Maybe your carpenter can use that for some idea's.
Here is a picture:
000_2536_editedMedium.jpg

Soon i will be removing the mangrove tank and installing a fragging system.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Nope. Very easy to care for actually. Mine is not a $125 dollar rubber maid though. It is a Duraflex stock tank. Half the price for the same deal. ;)

Triggerjay

Ah... Busy day. Unplanned barbecue... I have something in the works though. I will try to get it done tomorrow afternoon/evening..Oh, I use a rubbermaid too.. Love it!

Jason

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Jason, I just left this post in your chronicle thread but wanted to put it here also...

woodstock said:
I was just admiring your plumbing shown at the beginning. Excellent work. Thanks for taking all the photos.
Why aren't you utilizing the 100 rubbermaid with more water? I guess you really do not need to...
I was thinking about getting one for a huge refugium added to my clownfish growout tank.
I would add a wet/dry trickle filter prior to the rubbermaid. Per my reading, I will need lots and lots of surface area (bioballs) for the nitrifying bacteria to colonize. I just want the refugium to soak up all those nitrAtes!
Hey..what is that MH you have over your refuge? Is that a Home Depot special ;) Does it grow chaeto well?

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ummm... Jason, you need to update your sig with a link to your chronicle thread :D
Having a link to click would save me 17.9 seconds... :p