Killing Aiptasia with electricity

IXL

I'm sure you guys have heard of this or seen it but I would keep a close eye out on this ... I would think this has many use for pesky criters in tank, Girlfriend or mother in law :)

aptasia-electrocution.jpg

Aiptasia, or pest Majano Anemones has been a real problem, and we are guessing that you never thought to electrocute them. Gone are the days when you try lemon juice, Kalk, or hydrogen peroxide concoctions with Paul Baldassano’s new reef gadget you’ll be using electricity. The actual process is electrolysis which is not as complicated as it sounds. The Aiptasia killing gadget uses a graphite electrode and small needle that will literally zap the pest anemones away.

Paul liked this gadget so much so that there is a pending patent for this, he likes to call the gadget the Aiptazer. Be sure to check out the videos of the gadget that kills aptasia with electricity.

Below are 2 videos -

This is PaulB's Original Thread on the Zapper - ( Thanks Vic )
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/56499-electrocuting-mojanos.html

Last edited:

GrendelPrime

if im not mistaken PaulB has been making these gadgets for yrs and has a thread about it somewhere in the archives

IXL

Yeah , I seen it somewhere here ... once I find it again I will attach it because it's a great tool to have... I don't even have my tank up and running yet but the thought of having a zapper sounds empowering > critters

GrendelPrime

i just actualy just read the whole post and come to find out its pauls gizmo and not someone else trying to make money off of his idea..zoinks i should read the thread instead of just looking at pics..lol

Paul B

I think it would be hard to stick a bristly worm with this device. They don't really sit still like anemones do

lcstorc

Leave the bristle worms. They are good guys in general.
Meanwhile Paul let me know how much and how to pay you. I need one badly.
:)

Paul B

Hey, everybody!

This is Paul B's wife, best friend, dive buddy and very rarely his critic. However, this time I must boast about this "Zapper" thing. I can't believe my husband, Paul B, finally got me hooked into this hobby in some small way and it was fun too--much to my surprise. I loved zapping with his new invention. Who would have thought? Our tank is looking better than ever now that I am involved with the clean up. You see fish is Paul's passion and mine seems always to be cleaning up something or another. Anyway, I am really proud of this guy and his latest invention. By the time I was finished, there was not even a hint of a mojano or tentacle in site of our 40-year old reef.
Dale005.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I got mine a couple days ago, but haven't even had a chance to open the shipping tube yet. I plan to soon! Looking forward to zapping my Majanos!

Paul B

Reefmack open that thing up and start Zapping. I can't get mine away from my wife. Everytime she sees something that looks like a tentacle, she has to Zap it. I broke my first one and had to make another one.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Paul - I'm afraid that once I start zapping I won't be able to stop at just the Majanos LOL!