Biocube 14!

tangerine3486

watch out for that electric hermit... ive heard (and seen) many cases of them eating all sorts of coral... even one of my blue legs like to munch on my anthelia...just threw him in the back right section with a peice of shrimp...kinda like time out lol:jester:

haha i totally put him in time out! Last week i got a large cerith and in the morning he was trying to kill him! but i kept my cool and just put another shell in there that was bigger than his. shell change! But i like him he looks sweet! I will monitor him and my corals.

Thanks Rhodes!

Also my frogspawn seems to be messing up my clownfish so I am going to do everything I can to move out the frogspawn this week. I think I worked out a deal with pacificeastaquaculture.com

So I am still waiting on my stuff from nanotuners. Wow this is frustrating...it should have been here last week. no later than friday means no later than friday. Right? Oh well, i'm going to keep bothering to make sure it gets here this week...

Rhodes19

So I am still waiting on my stuff from nanotuners. Wow this is frustrating...it should have been here last week. no later than friday means no later than friday. Right? Oh well, i'm going to keep bothering to make sure it gets here this week...

Keep us updated on this. I was thinking about doing their lighting upgrade.

Hello Tangerine3486 just stopped by ur thread and read thru all of it and i am impressed at how u were able to take ur time and do it right bravo i am from the baltimore area myself currently im deployed in the dessert but have a little less than 3 months left and i have some zoos and other things we may be able to trade a few heads on once u have some good growth but ill be following ur thread very closely nice pics by the way

- Tavon

astiesi

Great pics! I know I'm a few days late but when my 14g BioCube was setup I always ran both carbon and Phosban in the 2nd chamber, just add to a media bag and drop it in, seemed to work well enough.

tangerine3486

Great pics! I know I'm a few days late but when my 14g BioCube was setup I always ran both carbon and Phosban in the 2nd chamber, just add to a media bag and drop it in, seemed to work well enough.

Thanks. I hope I can do that soon.

Well, I thought the waiting was over, but 3 of the LEDs do not seem to be working. :( I'm trying to figure out if it was my fault or I should be asking for new ones. I'm going to install it tomorrow anyway and see how goes. I should be able to install the rest when they come in. I will be posting full build and whatnot once it is solid. Until then, here is one pic!

P1000193.JPG

Check Out My Thread I Finally Started It Theres Gonna Be Alot Of Questions In There As I Think Of Them Got Tired Of Highjacking Ppls Threads

tangerine3486

Haha thanks that has been keeping me going for the past few weeks waiting but i'll keep on doing it.

I'm sure it is all good. I will check it out and follow!

tangerine3486

Well I'm a few weeks later than I predicted, but it is finally here! Yesterday I was finally able to complete and install the LEDs! Its great! Temps are down, but I will have to track them for longer the get a real idea of how much lower. Colors are great and the shimmering is awesome! And from what I have read, LEDs are way better for corals than the PC lights and just as good as MH lights. And WOW they are bright!

So I was able to do this for about 200$ , +/- 10$, including shipping. I already had a soldering iron, wire cutters, soldering wire. So I went with 10 LEDs instead of 12- which seems to be the more common thing- to save some money. I think I did a good enough job dispersing the light.

So parts:
5 CREE XRE WG Q5 (white)
5 CREE XRE RB (Blue)
24v 6.5A PROTRANS power supply from MPJA.com
2 1000mA buckpuck drivers with potentiometers (dimmer)
2 spools of 16 gauge wire
1 extension cord
10 thermal pads
BC 14 heatsink from nanotuners.com

You can get cheaper heatsinks from heatsinkusa.com but the custom one fits in perfectly with 4 x 3/4 wood screws.

So, I arranged the LEDs on the heatsink until i came to a way that looked good, and then used the bergquiest thermal pads the stick them down.
P1000184.JPG

P1000194.JPG

P1000192.JPG

Then came the soldering adventure. I am a soldering noob so it was a challange at first, but I think I got the hang of it in the end. I wired the blues in series to one buckpuck and the whites in series to the other. Soat several points in time some of the LEDs were not working, but it turns out to be just a bad soldering job. I still cannot get one of them to work, however it should be fine.
P1000198.JPG

Then I went to my tank and gutted it. I left the fans in with an attempt to get them to work but no luck. I do not know if I need them anyway. Then I dropped the heatsink in, and ran wires in from the back. I taped them inside the tank then soldered them to the LEDs.
P1000203.JPG

Then bang its done. I put the plastic cover back on with a wipe down, and then replaced the hood onto the tank.
P1000205.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

So after new lights, a 50% water change, and some carbon filter in the back, the tank looks great! I am still trying to find the best blue/white balance, but right now it looks amazing! The corals look fantastic with just the blues! These pictures dont do it justice!
IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

IMG_5220.JPG

I did not expect these zoas to look so good in the blue lights! the colors are great! Unfortunately I could not capture this in the pictures :(

blues
IMG_5204.JPG

IMG_5212.JPG

both
IMG_5232.JPG

blues
IMG_5242.JPG

both
IMG_5238.JPG

Frogspawn is looking better than ever however my one clownfish does not so I still might have to get rid of the frogspawn :(.

tangerine3486

Thanks guys!

AC broke and tank (and ambient) temperatures hit 87...its cooling now, but is there anything i should do? is this high enought to kill anyone?

As long as u got the temp down right away u should be find but prolonged could kill almost anything i was reading a thread on here where the guys tank shot up to 90+ and killed everything minus a few fish in the tank i would look into saving for an aqua controller that way when the temp shoots up to lets say 83 or so it will shut the lights off that will help a lil thats what i have my tank set at and it works out very well for me

greneis7

Also my frogspawn seems to be messing up my clownfish so I am going to do everything I can to move out the frogspawn this week. I think I worked out a deal with pacificeastaquaculture.com

I was thinking about getting frogspawn; does it usually have a problem with fish?

tangerine3486

Thanks Ravenfan. I opened that hood right away and put a fan on it. It went down eventually.

I was thinking about getting frogspawn; does it usually have a problem with fish?

I do not think so. If you look at the thread that was linked on my thread about my fishe's problems, you will see that a few people have had this problem. I dont think it is too common, and from what I have read there is a bigger problem with fish harming the euphyllia corals. Also note that only one of two of my clownfish seemed to be affected.

But to continue with changes to the tank, I got new coral and traded out my frogspawn! Thank you Pacific Ease Aquaculture! They took the stinging frogspawn off of my hands! Yay! hopefully my fish will get better. But I will miss him! :( I got Green star polyps, Acanthastrea echinata, and Acanthastrea Lordhowensis! I totally wanted a clam but maybe another time!

They are so cool and I will be posting pics later!

tangerine3486

oh ok thats whats up maybe one day when i get back we can take a car pool up there id love to see there facility
Yeah it is an amazing place.

i'm kind of late to the party here, but great macro shots! That's a nice little nano tank you've got there!

Your not late! Thanks!

GSP is not out yet, but I will give it another day before I worry. Here are some pics though! More to come.

IMG_5319.JPG

i need to fix this frag so it is parallel to the surface of the water. been having better luck with top down photos and dealing with the camera not being able to compensate for the blue.
IMG_5309.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG