Tank move did not go well

tektite

If you can bear with me, I do have a question at the end...

So, since I bought a house and built my fishroom, I had to move my 125 from the apartment eventually. I had a 150 gallon tank in the house ready to receive everything. Had about 50 gallons fresh saltwater in the tank and another 75ish ready to help with water changes. I had another 50 gallons in the apartment.

I had 6 55 gallon drums to assist in the move. Rented a U-Haul truck to move the barrels. The move was about 20-30 minutes from my apartment.

My current tank had 250 lbs of liverock and 200 lbs of live sand. I was very careful when transferring everything, used 5 gallon buckets to move rock from the tank to the barrel in the truck, and back to the new tank. I kept the rock under water as much as possible, the longest any rock was out of water was 3-4 seconds. Ambient temperature outside was probably around 85F. With all my prep, I thought the move would go fairly smoothly, have maybe a small ammonia spike....

To say it went disastrously is an understatement. Moved everything, took about half a day. By late afternoon, 90% of everything in the tank was dead. By the next morning that was up to 100%. I only have a couple things that I moved to quarantine setups that are still alive, and 90% of that is only alive because it was sitting in my disconnected sump in the apartment overnight and not in the tank. EVERYTHING in the main tank is dead: My gorgonians, anemones, cucumbers, snails, hermits, stars, mantis, pistols, gorilla crabs, bristle worms, mysids, copepods.....

I've been going over and over the move, trying to figure out where I went wrong, what I could have done differently. As far as prep and physical execution of the move, I can't think of much that would have made a difference.

So far some ideas I've had as to how my tank was nuked:

1 – water differences: Saltwater in both the apartment and house with the same RO/DI unit, the same salt mix (Tropic Marin Pro), kept at the same temp and salinity (measured with refractometer). As far as the transfer, other than the 50 gallons in the new tank, the rest of the water was from the old tank.
Critical factor? Low probability

2 – temperature fluctuations: at the very most it was 2 degrees F up or down. I did acclimate everything living that I could isolate.
Critical factor? Sensitive creatures, moderate
Critical factor? Hardy creatures, low

3 – live sand disturbance: my tank was running for 5 months before move, so there may have been buildups in the sand. After the rock was out, I put all the sand in its own barrel just in case. Put maybe 20 lbs into the new tank.
Critical factor? Unsure

4 – contamination: Critical factor? High
A. Me or buckets – both I know I kept very clean though.
B. U-Haul truck – the barrels were closed as much as possible so unlikely.
C. Outside house – when moving the last load, the neighbor across the street was using a blower to blow off some white stuff in the gutter in front of his house. He was upwind of me, and the white stuff did travel toward me. It appeared to dissipate before reaching me, but maybe some still did.

5 – chain reaction: Possibly any of the factors above killed some delicate organisms, which killed more, etc till everything was dead. If that was the case, it happened fast enough to kill even the pistol and mantis shrimp, gorilla crabs, and bristle worms within 4-5 hours. I did have 3 cucumbers, the least likely of them to be able to nuke a tank, but maybe one died and was enough to start the reaction. I know also that I had at least one large hitchhiker flatworm (was 3” long).
Critical factor? Moderate to high

I'm not trying to pass the buck, I know that whatever the cause I am ultimately responsible for all my little critters. I feel awful about this whole thing, so many things used to live in the tank. The only comfort I can take is that except for my 60 hermits my tank was 100% aquacultured.

I have a bit of a dilemma now. Most likely it was a contaminant or a chain reaction. But which? If it was a contaminant, did my $1500 worth of liverock just become stepping stones? I've been doing 50 gallon water changes per day (the move was a week and a half ago). The water was yellowish and the smell was awful for a week. Gone through 2 DI resins and 15 gallons of salt....the smell has gone down now and the water is clear finally. Should I let the rock cycle and use it again, or do I have to start over 100%? Any opinions or comments welcome.

jgking21

Very sorry for all your loses! I did a move once and I contributed most of my die off to the sand. The next time I moved the tank I had no sand and all went fine, zero die off. I do think people under estimate the amount of build up of toxins in the sand. But that is just an opinion.

tektite

what was the barrels metal or plastic

Barrels were food grade plastic

Very sorry for all your loses! I did a move once and I contributed most of my die off to the sand. The next time I moved the tank I had no sand and all went fine, zero die off. I do think people under estimate the amount of build up of toxins in the sand. But that is just an opinion.

I'm wondering if it contributed for me too. The tank was 5 months old and the sand started dry, so I'm not sure how much buildup there was.

jgking21

Have you check the parameters lately?

I would keep working at it, that seems like alot of effort to just start over now. And you will always remember what has happened in the past, my crash was over 4 years ago and I still feel the pain of that move!

glampka

I'd say that the sand probably caused the problem. How deep was the sand bed in the 125? Best to start with new sand when moving to a new tank. You probably released some toxic stuff that was in the sand although 5 months isn't that long & probably wasn't all that dirty.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'd have to "guess" it was some other strong contaminant.

The one small move I did was in a 1 year old 12g tank and the sand was disturbed.. it smelled BAD.. I mean REALLY bad but I did a hefty water change, adding carbon and lost nothing. I only moved across the house but a move is a move none the less. I suspect either something in the barrel(s) or something (possibly airborne) got into the water somewhere en-route.

Just a guess though....

As far as "live rock = stepping stones"... that's a tough call. I can't say I know what I'd do in that situation.....

sorry for your losses though!!

tektite

Have you check the parameters lately?

In the main tank I haven't run any tests recently. With everything dead I know its in the middle of a huge ammonia spike, I'm just concentrating on keeping temp and salinity steady to cycle.

I'd say that the sand probably caused the problem. How deep was the sand bed in the 125? Best to start with new sand when moving to a new tank. You probably released some toxic stuff that was in the sand although 5 months isn't that long & probably wasn't all that dirty.

The sand was around 3 inches deep. I only put a small amount of sand into the tank, the rest was put in a barrel, but I did put in probably 80 gallons of water from the old tank that may have had contaminants in it from the sand. After about half the rock was out and I started really disturbing the sand, that water I made sure never made it into the new tank. I've since thoroughly rinsed and dried the sand to start new.

I'd have to "guess" it was some other strong contaminant.

The one small move I did was in a 1 year old 12g tank and the sand was disturbed.. it smelled BAD.. I mean REALLY bad but I did a hefty water change, adding carbon and lost nothing. I only moved across the house but a move is a move none the less. I suspect either something in the barrel(s) or something (possibly airborne) got into the water somewhere en-route.

Just a guess though....

As far as "live rock = stepping stones"... that's a tough call. I can't say I know what I'd do in that situation.....

sorry for your losses though!!

I did as much water changing as I could, it didn't seem to help. I also put in a lot of carbon, also didn't seem to help. both were probably too late, everything died pretty fast, even the hardy critters like mantis and gorilla crabs.

The barrels I know were clean, when I got them I cleaned them well and let them sit with a 1:10 solution of bleach in them for a day, then dry out for awhile. I've been using them regularly for RO/DI water and saltwater for water changes with no problems.

I'm also leaning toward some outside contaminant or the sand. The sand didn't smell super pleasant, but it didn't smell really bad either. The bad smell from the tank started the next day. If it was an outside contaminant, I really don't know if I can still use the liverock. Hard choice :(

I'm just really glad now that I restrained myself from buying corals knowing this move was coming.

DaveK

I tend to agree with some of the other posts in that it was the sandbed, but you'll never know for sure.

I would also recommend curing and plastic containers you use, even if they are rated "food grade". What might not kill you, could be very toxic to corals and fish. In addition, SW tends to leach a lot of stuff.

To cure a plastic container, all you need to do is fill it with FW, and then dissolve rock salt until you get to a SG of about 1.030, and let the container stand a couple of days. Repeat the process a few times or until you can not smell any plastic odour. Clean well and use.

Dweezil

I have nothing to offer except to say that I am really sorry this happened.
I can only imagine how stressful this has beem for you.

tektite

I tend to agree with some of the other posts in that it was the sandbed, but you'll never know for sure.

I would also recommend curing and plastic containers you use, even if they are rated "food grade". What might not kill you, could be very toxic to corals and fish. In addition, SW tends to leach a lot of stuff.

All the barrels are cured, sorry didn't mention that. I didn't want anything leeching into my water.

I have nothing to offer except to say that I am really sorry this happened.
I can only imagine how stressful this has beem for you.

Thanks, it hasn't been fun :(

Smiley1

only thing i can think of is that white powder that guy was blowing was fertilizer or pesticide. In that case, I am surprised your stuff even lasted a day.

tektite

only thing i can think of is that white powder that guy was blowing was fertilizer or pesticide. In that case, I am surprised your stuff even lasted a day.

I've been wondering if that was the case. Most creatures were dead in a couple hours.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the neighbor across the street was using a blower to blow off some white stuff in the gutter in front of his house

I guess it's possible he used something like a commercial fungicide concentrate to clean mold off his shingles... I am sure that would be bad bad for a tank...

Frankie

RS STAFF
Doubtful it was the white stuff the neighbor was blowing unless you saw it falling directly into the water. My opinion is the 80% of old water and the sand from the old system. This stuff was most likely toxic from the disturbance. And temperature swing along with coral chemical warfare. Rule #1 for a tank move that large: Never use the old sand bed unless rinsed well with RODI. #2 keep the temperature stable. IT was 87f today in your town. When the livestock was put into the U-Haul the temperature swing was to great and that is when the corals went into shock. When moving corals and fish, Bag each and everyone one separately in bags and box them in an insulated package immediately. I hope these thoughts bring some resolve to your loss. I feel for ya man :(

tektite

Doubtful it was the white stuff the neighbor was blowing unless you saw it falling directly into the water. My opinion is the 80% of old water and the sand from the old system. This stuff was most likely toxic from the disturbance. And temperature swing along with coral chemical warfare. Rule #1 for a tank move that large: Never use the old sand bed unless rinsed well with RODI. #2 keep the temperature stable. IT was 87f today in your town. When the livestock was put into the U-Haul the temperature swing was to great and that is when the corals went into shock. When moving corals and fish, Bag each and everyone one separately in bags and box them in an insulated package immediately. I hope these thoughts bring some resolve to your loss. I feel for ya man :(

Thanks for the advice. I didn't use the old sand except for a little of it, guess that was too much anyway. Guess I way underestimated the toxicity of the sandbed. During the move we had just had a cold front through so it wasn't too warm, and the barrels provided some temp stability with their size.

I only have 2 small tiger gobies and a couple corals that were all transported separately so they didn't contribute to the tank dying.

Frankie

RS STAFF
It very well could have been the corals being in large containers also. They release toxins also when stressed. That is why I mentioned bagging each one individually. Also not using the water you transported them in and acclimate them to the new environment is also crucial.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent advice Frankie! (like it's unusual to get Excellent advice from you).

Hopefully by your taking the time to start this thread others can learn and not repeat the pain and loss you have. Thanks for sharing your story (in great detail I may add) so others learn. I know I've learned and made some detailed mental notes for the future.

Now let's get to rebuilding this puppy... It can be Bigger.. Faster... Stronger...It can be the 6-Million Dollar Reef Tank ....

Does that show my age or WHAT?