Ugly Tank Contest!

sambrinar

John are you going to post a poll with the picts and let the forum decide which is the worst or will it be decided internally?

sambrinar

That is what and why I was wondering, I would love to see the picts, makes me feel somewhat better LOL

My entry:
910324137_5ee35609b4_o.png

My Red Sea Max one month after startup. I had to remove almost all rocks, clean them with a dish brush and make a big water change to solve the issue. I should have properly cured my LR... Now I know... And thanks again to GD-Esquire for the right advice at the right time.

ReefGuy69

Well I have been looking at this site for the last few days and admit i am embarresed to submit my photos. I take alot of pride in my tank and hope others envy it in the same way i do most of the tanks i look at. But i guess the first step is denial, and hopefully from there i can start recovery. So here it is. I really need help and i am willing to put in whatever needs to be done to get it done right. I think my tank would be the best candidate because of the wide variety of Algae that i have. I dont know where to start. So hopefully i can win this contest and get it to be the tank you envy. If i do win and get the so needed help that i need i do promise to pay it forward and help the next person in line whether it be a donation or knowledge so that you can continue this so in the end we all can be winners. :)

Here is my full tank shot from a distance taken today 11/22/08:
FTSAlgae.jpg

Here is a close up of some bubble algae:

BubbleAlgae.jpg

Here is some what i call brown brittle algae on the left. and i think Culpera on the right:

BrownBrittleandCulpera.jpg

Heres some more brown brittle algae:

BrownBrittle.jpg

Heres some what i think is brown coraline algae on the right and brown cup looking algae on the left:

BrownHardAlgae.jpg

Here is some green tube looking algae with other varieties:

GreenTube.jpg

Here is what i call strong spagetti like algae. it growns like hair and its strongly attatched to the rock so its hard to pull off:
HardHairAlgae.jpg

Here is a mixture, with these brownish tan stalky plants that grow here and there. I usually let them grow a bit and try to pull it off from the base. It usually chips some of the rock off when i pull it but it seems to be the only way from getting it to come back in that spot:

MixAlgae.jpg

and last here is the mother load of all rocks. Full of everything. It has all these tiny holes for the algae to grow out of. i keep a powerhead on it hoping it wont want to grow there but the algae seems to get in each hole so i can pull it out easily:

MotherRock.jpg

So please...please help me. It took alot to finally post on here for all to see and hopfully we can all learn together. Even the ones that are too ashamed to post. :(

johnmaloney

What you got there in that tank is:

1. Codium - darker green tube/plant thing
2. Neomeris - (I think I spelled it wrong) - bright green tube
3. Sargassum - leafy brown plant
4. lobophora - brown coralline description
5. Bunch of different types of caulerpa
6. Not sure on the brown brittle algae, i couldn't see it really

An army of emerald crabs would do the trick on those macros, or an urchin. Not a hard fix at all really.

Stacef

My entry:
910324137_5ee35609b4_o.png

My Red Sea Max one month after startup. I had to remove almost all rocks, clean them with a dish brush and make a big water change to solve the issue. I should have properly cured my LR... Now I know... And thanks again to GD-Esquire for the right advice at the right time.

What does it look like now? Sounds like you have it right, congrats! It's stressful dealing with these issues.

ReefGuy69

Hey thanks alot John. That gives me a good start on what i should do. I have one emerald crab. He has about a week in the tank. How many do you think i could get and yet sustain. I would hate to get 10 of them and they go to town but then i lose most of them because they loose food and die... I use to have a spiny urchin and wouldnt mind getting another one. my only thing with them is their spines knock everything over. so im thinking this time if i need one a pin cushion one might work better for me... How many emerald crabs and what type of urchin?

Jeremy0322

Cant the emerald crabs actually make the bubble algea grow more because of the way they pop the bubble when they eat it. I am not sure, it was just something i remember reading about somewhere on the vast internet haha

ReefGuy69

Thats a good concern. On the other half i can get to most of the bubble algae and remove it myself. a few spots the crabs will have to get to. But if they work on all the other stuff i should be in good luck.

Jeremy0322

Yea, and if you are worried about feeding the crabs if they cause a little bit of algae reproduction in the tank they are feeding themselves in a way, so i guess there is a silver lining with that situation.

johnmaloney

Hey thanks alot John. That gives me a good start on what i should do. I have one emerald crab. He has about a week in the tank. How many do you think i could get and yet sustain. I would hate to get 10 of them and they go to town but then i lose most of them because they loose food and die... I use to have a spiny urchin and wouldnt mind getting another one. my only thing with them is their spines knock everything over. so im thinking this time if i need one a pin cushion one might work better for me... How many emerald crabs and what type of urchin?

Pincushion urchins knock everything over too. The emerald crabs are better, you can feed them flake, romaine lettuce, nori, etc.. after that. At some point I would round them up and send them off to the LFS for credit.

johnmaloney

oops, sent it to early.

We found the pencil urchins to be the easiest to keep. The stay smaller than most, and bulldoze to a somewhat smaller extent. I think the emerald crabs are better. They love codium, I couldn't imagine that stuff lasting long, but I would pull it, it removes easily and won't spread from being pulled.