"Balling Method" for supplementing

Fauna Marin

HI

First i must say sorry for my bad english but i hope you understand me ;-)

We use this systems since years in germany and the classical balling methode is very old
I developted a new system for modern reefs and to make the balling methode more easy for the reefers

if we discusses about the Balling methode we must see on which methode we talk about

Here you see tanks which use the system Balling light

tn_101_0113.jpg

2006Julytotal08.jpg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
BEAUTIFUL!! Awesome colors and aquascpaing! :drooool:

HI

First i must say sorry for my bad english but i hope you understand me ;-)

We use this systems since years in germany and the classical balling methode is very old
I developted a new system for modern reefs and to make the balling methode more easy for the reefers

if we discusses about the Balling methode we must see on which methode we talk about

Here you see tanks which use the system Balling light

tn_101_0113.jpg

2006Julytotal08.jpg

Below is information that I have gathered through both PM's (Thanks again Heinz :) )and researching. I have hyper linked the sites for each item so shopping is a breeze!! It should save any interested person a LOT of searching!!

I will use Heinz's Balling Complete plus recipe: I will have three(3) 2.5-2.6 gallon (10 litter) jugs filled as follows:

#1 Jug:
#2 Jug:

3 Jug:

In jug #3...what is the purpose of the NACL free salt?

Would I need to use the NACL free salt with water changes or could I still use reef crystals?

Thanks!!!
chris

Reef Doser Triple Dosing Pump

Seems like this would be a better choice than the Drew's doser on the same site. 3 of the drew's doser would run $270 then you have to buy timers (if you don't have a controller). This unit has the 3 pumps and an integrated controller that has a one second resolution.

Man...I can see that this is a better method of trace element supplementation but man is it expensive to switch. Just think of the $ spent on the other methods (calcium or kalk reactor) and then having to spend that $ again to switch. It's only money though...you make it every day.

God bless,
Chris

hma

In jug #3...what is the purpose of the NACL free salt?

Would I need to use the NACL free salt with water changes or could I still use reef crystals?

Thanks!!!
chris

Hi Chris .... You can use the usual salt (Reef Crystals) for your water changes. The NaCl free salt is to dissolve in the given amount in canister 3. It contain all substances (salts) which also in the normal sea salt are included. Merely the portion in NaCL, so the portion cooking salt, was removed.

The sense why a small portion NaCl free salt is used is rather simple. If one has in his tank, e.g., a Salinität of 34.8% and measures now daily Calcium, magnesium as well as natriumhydrogencarbonat, a small quantitie NaCl are supplied to the aquarium water daily also which is not used by the corals. his raises the Salinität and is not welcome. To compensate this small quantity NaCL we need the NaCL free salt. :eek:lsmile:

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
Wow, great thread. Blows away the two and three part sytems. We are a conceited country, but this U.S citizen does not mind bending down in compliment to tip my hat while saying thank you. A simple nod of the head is not enough. Thanks HMA, Fauna Marina, Scuba Drew and you reefers of Reef Sancuary. Now I have a big shopping list to fill. So are Drew's dozer pumps available? Is the NaCl salt mix from Scuba Drew still available? Wow, no more Kalkwasser! Less maintenace time, but more stable pH and more stable levels of calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. For about the cost of a good Calc reactor with pH controller, regulator and CO2 tank. Even cheaper than that with using Drew's pumps. Sweet!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Wow, great thread. Blows away the two and three part sytems. We are a conceited country, but this U.S citizen does not mind bending down in compliment to tip my hat while saying thank you. A simple nod of the head is not enough. Thanks HMA, Fauna Marina and you reefers of Reef Sancuary. Now I have a big shooing list to fill. So are drew's dozer pumps available? Is the NaCl salt mix still available?

I am not sure about 'drew's dozer pumps' but the NaCL-free salt can be found in the states here: Sea Salt without Sodium Chloride

fatman

Just ordered the NaCl free salt mix, but I do not know if he will ship to Alaska yet. Surely not at the same flat rate as FedEx ships to the lower 48 states. I however am used to paying more for shipping to Alaska. I just hope Scuba Drew will do so. I sent my money though, and will just wait to see. Can not really do any more than that.

ScubaDrew

Hi,

Working on your order right now, I'll let you know if I can make the shipping work.

Drew

Just ordered the NaCl free salt mix, but I do not know if he will ship to Alaska yet. Surely not at the same flat rate as FedEx ships to the lower 48 states. I however am used to paying more for shipping to Alaska. I just hope Scuba Drew will do so. I sent my money though, and will just wait to see. Can not really do any more than that.

Fauna Marin

HI

If you use the balling classic Version then you need the mineralsalts
With the new modern Balling light system you did not need it

Normaly you will have enough Trace elements in the modern sea salts that you don´t need to add the mineral salt.

If you use ULNS System the to much on Trace elements can make brown corals or darken the bright corals

Greets Claude

fatman

Beautiful SPS, but the lighting is to blue for my tastes. I have never even heard of that much T-5 lighting in use over one tank before. Are 80 watt T-5 tubes avaible here? He definitly knows his chemistry well to supply the calcium. Carbonate and magnesium needs of those SPS to grow them from Frags to their shown size in only a year and half or less. And none of his levels are really maintained that so very high. Some pretty tight growth for so little circulation also. Seems the Europeans are always showing their common skimmer designs that we only see in custom skimmers or very high end skimmers. I can not quite understand the need to change out the T-5 bulbs at 6 months though. I thought they held their output qualities longer than that. The bulbs are cheaper but that would still be at least $250 worth of bulbs per change out. I assume he would only change out a few at a time though, to decrease lighting change reactions, if the tubes actually degrade that much in 6 months.
Pretty display though. I definitely would like to see the tank after another 12 months with the balling method in use. I can only think his growth will only be better.