BigAl's slow chronicle . . .

cracker

Hey, it's related in a way. So Allen is the salt doing it's thing at the moment? Care to reveal what brand you are using? Using a less expensive salt at 1st?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok it's IN the water. Since the incoming water temp was so cold (about 45 degrees) I don't know exactly what my salinity is. I added what I "think" is close to right but on the LOW side. Once it gets warmed up I'll test some more. It's already up to about 59.5 degrees so it's coming along nicely.

I'm using Reef Crystals because it's been so good to me thus far in my other tanks.

:)

tbittner

Excellent! Do you have fish in it yet? :D

Just kidding Al. I'm amazed at your patience and I'm so thrilled that everything has worked out for you and you've FINALLY reached the point of filling your baby up. :)

Kind of brings a tear to my eye. :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL: that's for BOTH of you nut heads!!

Sump & Fuge shots
IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4003.jpg

Notice how CALM the flow into the FUGE is up there.. now sure HOW or why but tonight it just calmed down nicely.

IMG_4005.jpg

Sump Up Close
IMG_4006.jpg

Here's a FTS with everything "Riding Dirty"
IMG_4008.jpg

FTS with everything buttoned up for the night.
IMG_4001.jpg

I'm exhausted! Had to drive my vehicle down to the bottom of the Mountain and HIKE back up due to snow. I may get to ride my SLED half way to work in the morning :D

tbittner

Man Al. That is a beautiful job on everything! I love the cabinet. I think it will really make the color of the corals pop!

(i don't see the fish, are they hiding in your balls?)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks gang. I'm so thrilled with it I am beside Myself over here :)

I really appreciate the kind words and ALL of your support!

Yeah the fish are a bit SHY with that bright light :lol:

cracker

Allen, That came together really really nice! Imagine how nice it's going to look in a few more months.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:whstlr: :whstlr: :whstlr: How much fun is this! I like the Camillionaire reference!:lol: I enjoy blasting that song and riding around in the Porsche with the top down. :lol:

That cabinet is sweet, sweet, sweet. That 10 gallon tank in the background looks like a toy (in comparison)!:lol: But I know it is a fine tuned biological system!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Allen, That came together really really nice! Imagine how nice it's going to look in a few more months.
Yeah I can only hope it has the success my 10g has had. :) Thanks for the kind words and your support! That SWEET Rock you sent up is completely COVERED with snow at the moment... :lol:

:whstlr: :whstlr: :whstlr: How much fun is this! I like the Camillionaire reference!:lol: I enjoy blasting that song and riding around in the Porsche with the top down. :lol:

That cabinet is sweet, sweet, sweet. That 10 gallon tank in the background looks like a toy (in comparison)!:lol: But I know it is a fine tuned biological system!

Yeah that's one of the FIRST songs on My I-Pod. It helps me get into the whole work-out mood all gansta like!!

Thanks Scott. I am very pleased with it. It's finally all coming together and surprisingly enough it's spot on for what our original vision for it was.

Yeah the 10g does look funny beside it. I didn't see it in the picture until you mentioned it :lol: That's going to be converted over into a Frag tank only. I actually moved some recently frags corals out of it today and took them to the LFS. :D Can't wait for this hobby to start supporting itself. That's when it gets REALLY fun :D

Thanks EVERYONE for reading and supporting Me :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
dar she blows :)

:LOL: Exactly!! Thanks for your advice and support Jack! Hey for the record my PayPal account is building back up. Must be about time for you to make a truck or house payment or something so I should probably x-fer more funds over :D

Seriously I do appreciate your talents and support.

JoJo

Al, you just made me spit coffee on my laptop, "riding dirty"! I didnt think you had it in you, "gangsta like", what a way to start the morning. I guess i'm going to have to start using ebonics with you, "wat da deal homeboi get dat tank poppin off". i'm pretty sure you didnt sleep too well thinking about your ocean. I love that fact that your tank went smooth, partially because i'm coat tailing your thread, just kidding. Much love

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks JoJo!

I didn't sleep much. I'm a Snow Dawg (Old School) from way back when and it was coming down in big Snow Balls last night! I couldn't stop looking out the window like a school kid. But alas I am sort of adult and had to hike down the mountain and slip/slide into work this morning! Brrr it's chilly out!

The tank has been a pleasure to plan, organize and even build. There were a couple of time I got frustrated over the plumbing but in the end (at least SO far) it's all worked out and been a BLAST! I'm glad your "Riding My Coat Tails( and can't wait to do another (don't tell My wife I said that... she'd.... well you know...) :)

I've decided to change a but on what I was going to do. I don't know that it's worth while to add Live Sand as the WHOLE substrate. I mean why don't I just use a mixture of Live Sand and regular sand since the Live Sand is in short supply up here in the mountains. I'll probably head to the next county Friday or Saturday and pick up some just regular Aragonite Sand and let it "Become" live sand. I have 3 bags of Live Sand now and estimate I need maybe a total of 6 MORE bags of sand total. I'll probably just buy Aragonite sand for the remainder. Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks for reading Me :)

lcstorc

Looking good!
It is great to see water in that tank.
Don't forget to pick up your order from the LFS tonight. :)
I love the swimming eggcrate. :)

JoJo

How deep will the sandbed be? are you trying to get the beneficial effect from it or just for show? your fuge will b BB right?

tbittner

Based on what I've read about sand and what others have done, your plan sounds like a great idea. It will save you money (to be applied toward livestock of course) and I really like the look of aragonite sand. The thing is, the fine sand will mix with the bagged live sand and the look will change.

If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would use nothing but white, fine aragonite sand. That's just my personal preferrence.