New sump ???`s

PEMfish

clear tubing allows algae growth because it allows LIGHT into the tube. Black tubing doesn't for obvious reasons.

Did you notice the "the people who want to smart" line? ( flaky joke ).
Glad to hear about the light.
Dang, I have a bulb like that, hate the light it gives off so i have no use for it. But its 'soft white light'. What do bulbs run($)?

PEMfish

The pump ( and other stuff as well ) should be here by Sunday. I am so charged! Can't wait! I need to get the tank by then too.
I will leave it open for now.

PEMfish

I got he pump today!! 10' of .5'' tube, 2 .r' 90* elbows, and new light bulb or the planted. Its always exiting getting things, even if you know there coming and there nothing exiting. Another good experience with DrsF&S and Fed ex. Don't have the tank yet, didn't think I needed to get it so soon. Tubing was a bit off. Theres a .5'' on the pump so I got .5'' tubing, seemed sensible. I think it will still work with all the parts they gave me, just need some O rings.

PEMfish

Tubing error. I will be running 3/4" tubing up into the tank ( return ). A 4ft, were the line peaks, there will be 200gph. ( So a 200gph return ). I will feed the sump with a siphon. What diameter vinyl tube will I need for the siphon?

PEMfish

With that pump And 1/2" tubing feeding the sump - Would 1 siphon do it? or two with a restricter? Or two or three?

tbittner

I'm guessing here but, it sounds like 1" worth of pipe would siphon out 600 gph. I base that on the fact that my overflow uses 1" siphon tubes, two of them, and I'm getting around 1200 gph through this box.

PEMfish

AGA jacked up there prices :(
It doesn't have to be AGA :)
oh, wait ( have you seen the other options )- it dose :(
At least it will be quality :)
But hidden away in the stand... :(
But I found one used :) :) :)
Yeah, Rod ( owner of Rods Reef - Home ) has about a dozen of them from breading clowns. At half the retail price. Awesome! I'll swing by and pick one up mid next week. I hate to wait but I'll be out that way any way, plus the right tubing hasn't got here yet ( or by then )

PEMfish

The package ( U tube and hose + gloves ) would have been here around 5:00 yesterday. But it started snowing. Those wimps, its just snow! So its sitting in a truck a couple towns over. I'm expecting it Monday. I'll be getting the tank Tuesday. Can't wait.

PEMfish

So thats the plan. I know it won't be perfect right off the bat so watch out for ?s. Then around X-mas when all that stuff gos on sale and I have more money I'll get that light and maybe add the baffles/ LR/ chato.

PEMfish

Got the tank from Rod. In great shape for an used one.

For the overflow, I was thinking this: (see pic). I know that will create a reliable flow, wont it? Is it looking good? I won't be doing a good looking acrylic job, just something that works. I will also have a tube connected to the top of the U tube to prevent air build up.

Attachments

• overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 25

zimboy

that looks pretty much like a standard overflow design. I don't see any reason it won't work. Have fun building it!

tbittner

I've been using my overflow for about 9 months now and it's never built up any air in it. The water velocity sucks out the air.

tbittner

:lol:

The water level between the baffle on the outside and the water inside the skimmer box will even out. It will drain the tank until the level in the tank equals the top of the skimmer. Then it will drain the skimmer box until it's equal to the top of the baffle on the outside. The siphon is never broken because both ends of the pipe stay below the water level.

So when you start to fill the tank again, water starts to flow into the skimmer box and air pressure wants the water to be level in both boxes so it forces the water through the tubes again.

It works. Trust me. :D

(i have a 2" pipe in a tank siphoning water UP 4 feet, 6 1/2 inches, then down a gentle slope for 32 feet, then down 4 feet 11 inches into the sump and it always restarts. My pump is only pumping around 1700 gph into the tank and the siphon keeps up with it, no problem)

PEMfish

You didn't need to tell me that. Today (awake and energized) I thought about it, well I didn't need to think. Funny how the brain don't work off no energy.

tbittner

:lol:

I thought about that after I posted all that and figured you were just messing around. BUT, I figure this thread is a source of good information in case anyone wants to build one on their own.

PEMfish

Maybe someone else will benefit, but me, your teaching a Ferrari to top a Neon.
Will a 2'' piece of 1.5'' PVC pipe, capped, and with the groves work for the overflow? Panted black too, what paint?