LED lighting

Witfull

true,,,but the more you turn the blue (not true actinic) bulbs down, your losing even more par than gaining.

corallimorph

Has been struck by the ban stick
Recived my three Solaris units today for new culture systems at the home lab.............unbelievable....will post pics as soon as i can close my mouth.

billyr98

i saw these PFO lights at MACNA, my biggest complaint is they don't do deep tank like 24"+ and they are too blue... but the future will be in LEDs, just not yet...

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Billy

I spent allot of time with Pat at MACNA. In the near future the optics of the lights will be changed to give even more output. When we were at the booth on the laptop we were looking a another new type of optic. Pat is now looking at a couple of really good possibilities.

Pat also had another new lamp there we were looking at that was not on display. It is a no thrills LED unit with just a on-off switch and 2 fans for cooling. This new lamp had 10 white 4.8 W LED plus 1 LED as a Moon Light designed to be used on smaller tanks. It was really bright. The other lamps are 3 W LED.

Frankie

RS STAFF
:lurk:
corallimorph said:
Recived my three Solaris units today for new culture systems at the home lab.............unbelievable....will post pics as soon as i can close my mouth.

boozeman

billyr98 said:
i saw these PFO lights at MACNA, my biggest complaint is they don't do deep tank like 24"+ and they are too blue... but the future will be in LEDs, just not yet...
thanks for thew review billy :thumbup:

boozeman

no...I wanted to go, but been spending money like its going out of style lately and I needed to ''chill out''...but I will be at MACNA next year fer shure!!!! :invisible

theskunk

i talked to a customer last week who had purchased an led system (now i havnt seen it so i cant say either way) and was in the store to buy vho bulbs he said he wasnt very impressed with it which made me wonder if there is a break in period or what but thats alot of money to spend on "not that impressed" i dont like to badmouth any product that i havnt seen myself but i thought i would put the info out there

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks for the heads up Skunk. Im still waiting for corallimorph to post some info on the ones he got and the pictures. I was hoping this would be good stuff about LED's.

lcstorc

I just spoke to a guy at our local reef club yesterday who has them and loves them. He is a long time SW person and gave rave reviews. He claims that he is now getting much better growth than with his mh, and his electric bill has reduced tremendously. I'm trying to get him on RS so he can give us all the scoop.

corallimorph

Sorry all I'm having connection problems at home...and will post pics as soon as i can fix this problem.
The only downside i can see so far is that there is little to NO spread to the light so I'm reconfiguring my plans and using two units (side by side) to illuminate a 24" wide system
In other words..i would never recommend this lighting system as a complete system for a tank any wider that the light fixture itself.....But they Rock!-Dave

P.S. one good thing about the limited '"spread" is that very little algae seems to grow on the glass

corallimorph

I'm setting up a 120 w/two 48" units and a 180 w/two-72"units.
(Both 24" deep).
(i originaly planned on setting up four seperate tanks)