Nobby's S-650

SPR

Things that make you go Gggrrrrr.
I recently decided to have a clearout of some old stuff I had hanging around from my current, and previous tanks. We all accumulate equipment that we no longer use. One of the things I had laying around was a Tunze Nano 9002 Skimmer. For those who don't know what it is, it is an Internal Skimmer for use in the tank. I put the stuff on eBay. Now, everything I sell has had a good clean. Soaked in vinegar etc, so it looks sparkling. I also test everything to ensure it's in good working order. I wouldn't sell something that is crap.
Some bloke bought it for 40 euro and I shipped it to him. Two weeks later, he gets back to me to say it doesn't work. He wants his money back. That is no problem. If he says it doesn't work, then I am not going to argue. I gave him his money back and I had to pay for the postage to have it shipped back to me, so I was actually out of pocket on this.
However, when I inspected it on it's return it was pretty obvious that he had been 'playing' with it (to put in mildly). The bottom slider had been prised off with something like a screwdriver, as it was buckled. The mains cable, as it entered the main body had had the outer plastic cut with the internal electrical wires now exposed. Not much surprise that it didn't work! He had basically fecked around with it, damaged it, and now had his money back. I was out of pocket with a now worthless Skimmer.
In these cases you can't prove anything, but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth when someone does something like this.
It’s very unfortunate but we live in a world that people do this sort of thing, and there are people out there who are just totally dishonest.

I work on the basis I don’t trust anyone until they have proved they are trustworthy, and until they do I keep them at a distance and assume they will try something at some point. I’m nice to people and all that but I just stay weary.

On eBay if I sell something I have lots of photos in case they switch it and Im about to sell a large children’s electric car (unwanted present) and as the people are collecting it I’m going to take it to the bottom of my drive we’re they are on CCTV and have proof they did. Otherwise they could try and say it wasn’t delivered and claim money back via eBay. They will probably be lovely people but.....

If you have photos of the sale and when you got it back you may be able to get your money back via PayPal if you can be bothered.

SPR

I couldn't resist it. The pull was just too strong. After my Canary & Leopard Wrasse both disappeared into the sand, never to be seen again, I thought I'd leave off buying any more Wrasse. Last week I was tempted by a Leopard Wrasse, but she was sold before I made a decision......However....on Saturday at another LFS....fresh out of quarantine.......was another Female Leopard Wrasse. She was swimming around quite nicely and also fed from frozen and flake.
So, quicker than you could read War & Peace (for it was indeed quicker than that!) I had the Leopard acclimatizing at home. To avoid any aggression I installed my fish trap again. This is now my standard practice when adding new fish. The new fish goes in the fish trap, which I leave in the tank for an hour or so. Eventually, I just raise the door and the new fish is free to leave, although the fish trap acts as a 'safe haven' for the newbie if it feels threatened. Before the day was out, the Leopard was out swimming freely without any major aggression being shown, apart from some flashing from the Melarunus Wrasse.
I did take a big gulp when it dove under the sand for the night, wondering if I'll ever see her again, but Sunday morning, there she was in all her glory! She no longer stays in one corner of the tank, but covers the entire tank with her wanderings. I've even removed the fish trap as I don't think it is needed any more.

God you just so weak willed aren’t you! Lol

I went to the LFS to buy fish the other day and came back with no fish......

Pat24601

It’s very unfortunate but we live in a world that people do this sort of thing, and there are people out there who are just totally dishonest.

I work on the basis I don’t trust anyone until they have proved they are trustworthy, and until they do I keep them at a distance and assume they will try something at some point. I’m nice to people and all that but I just stay weary.

On eBay if I sell something I have lots of photos in case they switch it and Im about to sell a large children’s electric car (unwanted present) and as the people are collecting it I’m going to take it to the bottom of my drive we’re they are on CCTV and have proof they did. Otherwise they could try and say it wasn’t delivered and claim money back via eBay. They will probably be lovely people but.....

If you have photos of the sale and when you got it back you may be able to get your money back via PayPal if you can be bothered.

I had a friend who has someone claim he never sent them the item. When he show the tracking receipt, they said the box was empty and took a picture of the empty box to “prove” the point.

eBay completely sided with the buyer and he had to refund the money.

My impression is that when you sell on eBay if someone wants to screw you, they can.

I presume if they do that a lot they will get booted, but who knows.

Pancho75

I’m afraid is the risk of internet transactions, unfortunately I believe most of people have suffered stuff like this, there are rotten apples everywhere....

In the other hand, it is so good you have the female Leopard Wrasse, you have a good Wrasse crop now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Yeah, there is nothing you can do about the bad apples. Onwards and upwards eh!

The new Leopard has settled in well.

I've been watching the tank over the last couple of days because I was interested to see if the clock changes had any effect. Now, in the tank everything is normal, or so I thought. I always assumed that the light levels given out by the LED's (ramp up, ramp down) dictated what times the fish (especially the Wrasse) went to bed. So, despite humans changing the clocks, in the tank 7 o'clock in the evening would still be 7 o'clock in the evening (if you get my drift) based on the light levels produced by the LED's.
Before, the Tamarin Wrasse went into the sand at about 7:10pm. The Malarunus Wrasse went about 7:30pm, and the Green Wrasse went at about 7:40pm. These times were almost the same every night. However, since the clocks changed on Saturday night their bedtimes have been affected, and now they are all over the place ! The clock change has certainly affected the behaviour of the fish.

discol76

Things that make you go Gggrrrrr.
I recently decided to have a clearout of some old stuff I had hanging around from my current, and previous tanks. We all accumulate equipment that we no longer use. One of the things I had laying around was a Tunze Nano 9002 Skimmer. For those who don't know what it is, it is an Internal Skimmer for use in the tank. I put the stuff on eBay. Now, everything I sell has had a good clean. Soaked in vinegar etc, so it looks sparkling. I also test everything to ensure it's in good working order. I wouldn't sell something that is crap.
Some bloke bought it for 40 euro and I shipped it to him. Two weeks later, he gets back to me to say it doesn't work. He wants his money back. That is no problem. If he says it doesn't work, then I am not going to argue. I gave him his money back and I had to pay for the postage to have it shipped back to me, so I was actually out of pocket on this.
However, when I inspected it on it's return it was pretty obvious that he had been 'playing' with it (to put in mildly). The bottom slider had been prised off with something like a screwdriver, as it was buckled. The mains cable, as it entered the main body had had the outer plastic cut with the internal electrical wires now exposed. Not much surprise that it didn't work! He had basically fecked around with it, damaged it, and now had his money back. I was out of pocket with a now worthless Skimmer.
In these cases you can't prove anything, but it does leave a bad taste in the mouth when someone does something like this.

Sorry to hear about this. Such a shame when you do what you think is the right thing only to be screwed over.

Nobbygas

So, everything is looking hunky dory at the moment. I'm seeing good growth on all corals......well, except for the Anemone, which is no more. I'm not sure why it died. It seemed to have found a nice spot in a crevice. It had moved there from where I placed it, so it must have been happy with the light/flow. It got fed regularly. However, the place it called home was right next to a Red Gonipora. At first I was worried about the Gonipora, as usually an Anemone would 'out sting' it. However, it's the Anemone which has perished. I'm not sure if it was the Gonipora, but since the demise of the Anemone the Gonipora has extended quite significantly, almost as a triumphal gesture ! I know an Anemone would normally beat a Gonipora, but I assume that there must be times when the opposite may happen. I can't think of any other reason why the Anemone died.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

I am almost certain now that it was the Gonipora. In the last week, not only has it extended a lot more than usual but I noticed that on the end of the Polyps there were what looked like 'white tips which I haven't seen displayed before. I now know that these are 'White tipped tentacles supercharged with nematocysts' as shown in the picture below.

Stinging-tentacles.png

Pancho75

So sorry to read your anemone died, it was very beautiful, I didn’t know Goniporas were that lethal.

How about the new Leopard Wrasse? is she doing good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

I originally bought the Anemone to stop the Clowns trying to settle in other corals, like one of the Hammers, as the other corals tend not to like the attention the Clowns give, and it can lead to the death of the corals. As of today, the Clowns are trying to get a Torch to host them. I don't think that will end well. I am considering getting another Anemone, and when placing it making sure it is isolated from the main rocks, and just sits on it's own little island somewhere.

I've also got my beady eyes out for a pair of Blue Throated Triggers. They don't come up often in the shops, so I may just have to order a pair. They are available online for about 130 Euros the pair (113 of the Queens Imperial Pounds), which is a good price. The downside is that you don't actually see them before they arrive.

SPR

I just wash them out under a hot tap in the sink.
You see I just can’t bring myself to do this. We prepare fresh vegetables and home grown salad (when it’s not snowing!!) etc in the sink and, well it would just put me off lol!!

The worst I do is clean the sponges from my Rhowaphos reactor which has nothing to nasty on it and then I insist my wife bleaches it afterwards

Just use the washing machine idea I use, it’s so simple you will never go back. Just wash on long medium heat cycle with just water and job done.

Oh and I think I’m going to buy a spare downflow valve so I can see how it fits together. Just in case something goes terribly wrong during the cleaning process!

Nobbygas

You see I just can’t bring myself to do this. We prepare fresh vegetables and home grown salad (when it’s not snowing!!) etc in the sink and, well it would just put me off lol!!

The worst I do is clean the sponges from my Rhowaphos reactor which has nothing to nasty on it and then I insist my wife bleaches it afterwards

Just use the washing machine idea I use, it’s so simple you will never go back. Just wash on long medium heat cycle with just water and job done.

Oh and I think I’m going to buy a spare downflow valve so I can see how it fits together. Just in case something goes terribly wrong during the cleaning process!
I don't eat salad.