Red Sea Max s 400 flow value maintenance

adamsfour

Good Morning,
I have two RSM 130 and I am looking at swapping them out for the new s400. Looks like a rock solid systems. One of my lesson learn over the years with RSM is to be prepared to change out virtually everything that comes in contact with salt on a somewhat regular basis. No fault of RSM but the nature of the hobby. I was looking at the instruction manual to get a feel for the accessibility of any/all of the parts that at some point will need to be changes or cleaned. all of the pumps appear to be reachable. What I did notice with concern was the flow value. It appears be be at the bottom corner of the tank and next to impossible to reach. In addition, the manual talks about the need to clean it every so often due to calcium build up. I am just looking at the drawing wrong or is this a bad location. Has anyone any experience with trying to service it post initial install. In my mind this would be a show stopper as this is certainly something that at some point will either fail or need to be cleaned.

David Shaw

The flow valve from main tank to sump is at the rear of the tank on the upper right hand side and is easily accessible. You have to have the tank about 6 inches from the wall. I am running completely stock equipment. The only mod i have made is to remove the black sponges and replace with filter socks. My tank is running quietly and everything is growing well.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Adamsfour, as David rightly states it is important to have the S series aquarium 6" away from any rear wall, this is to allow access to the flow control valve and rear of the power centre, it also allows for any heat exiting the chiller, there is also allowance for air flow from the front under the left hand door of the cabinet.

With the space at the rear of the aquarium it is possible to remove the head of the flow control valve, there are location lugs built into the head for ease of alignment when replacing the head.

In over a year of running my S series I have had no reason to remove the valve, I have hundreds of sea squirts growing in the rear chamber, the main aquarium back wall is totally pink due to the growth of coralline algae, simply operating the valve ( fully opening) is sufficient service to keep the flow valve clear, there is no need of isolation when using this valve as you will always be looking to pass water through it and not shut it.

The provision is there to service the valve but the reality is you will be very unlucky if you need to remove the valve for service.