Spiney Blue Lobster???

cracker

OK here is LobsterBoy ! Problem is he was digging up a nasarious snail !! I am Pissed! Ok the snail locked up tight and the lobster seemed to give up but I will watch him real close! Now I have to remember he spent a lot of time in a sump and is probably real hungry. I gave him another piece of silverside. He moved back into a corner for dinner. If this critter starts eating the snails, Stir I will be melting the butter and slicing the lemon. There's not more than one bite though. Wait maybe I'll stuff him and mount him on a plank of drift wood!

cracker

ThankYou ThankYou ! So Last night he knocked over a couple of pieces but not too bad. I didn't find a bunch of empty snails shells which is a relief to me. I think a snail is safe but not sure about the hermits. They don't have a door to close. I realize he will not be the perfect neighbor but he did move right where I wanted him to.
Also I promise not to eat or stuff him!

cracker

The critter is very cool indeed !
So today I couldn't see him but he had his antennae sticking out. I have the end of an old fishing pole with a wooden skewer super glued to one end. I stick a piece of salmon on the point and barely touch one of the antennae. Didn't take long at all, he's curious. So he starts comes out. Then I see the short antennae he has. I think he has taste buds on these. So I just barely brush the salmon on one of these and here he comes full speed over the rock like a bug in that movie "Star Ship Troopers" and he's making this buzzing sound! I can actually hear this! buzzz buzzz. I'm cracking up at this point. OK Man here's your dinner, take it easy would Ya!.

cracker

Ok I went to a friend's dock on the St John's river, Thew the cast net and collected some small white shrimp. 1 to 2 inches long. I remove the tail, legs and antennae each night I feed him one . Hope it's enough. I haven't found a bunch of empty snail shells yet. I'm concerned about the added bioload so don't want to feed too much. He has knocked over some frags so I just added a little gel to hold them in place. we shall see.

Squatch XXL

I have great luck with fresh seafood from the deli. Shrimp and scallops are the norm, and a few shrimp last weeks. One large sea scallop will keep her fed for weeks. I just slice it up, mix a few drops of selcon in a ziplock and freeze it so you can get pieces out later.

cracker

Thanks Squatch, I'm not sure how much to feed. Now the lobster is still eating the shrimp I fed just under 2 hours ago. There is just a little piece left .

Oxylebius

I'd be more inclined to feed a little bit each day then a large piece every week (or so). Don't overfeed, if food is left then you are feeding too much. The next time you feed it cut back the amt to what it ate at the last feeding.

Panulirus versicolor - lots on the internet about this guy. Seems common to be kept in tanks.

Squatch XXL

Once you get the hungry sucker back to being happy, smaller daily feedings work best.

I try and feed the mantis every 2-3 days directly. She will usually nibble for an hour or more, than discard the uneaten part to the tank. It is pretty comical....but the fish then eats, and any leftovers from there are cleaned up at night by the hermits and the urchin. The one time I did not have a good stock of crabs, I was feeding small pieces daily, and she was consuming it all. I also add 10 hermit crabs every weekend, so she is never really "hungry" (she is cracking one open even as I type).

Your mileage may vary depending on the make and model of your invert.

cracker

Squatch,We need to get You a supply of fiddler crabs for Kitty. Hermits are pricey. What part of the USA are You located?Here in Florida ,we use them for fish bait and are not that much for a bunch