Spiney Blue Lobster???

cracker

Hey Folks! Ok this may sound crazy but I "may" be able to get a Blue Spiny Lobster. This sea roach is 5 inches of body length. My tank is 6' b y 2' by 30" with a lot of rock. I do have corals and fish. I have kept a spiny lobster in the past it didn't cause any problems and readily ate whole bait shrimp and silver sides/glass minnow etc. It was in a fish only tank. Please bring me back to reality if You think it best! LOL

Oxylebius

Pretty: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+506+546&pcatid=546

Liveaquaria cautions in a reef tank

overview
Panulirus vesicolor is known by many names using a combination of the adjectives, "blue", "spiny", and"painted"; for instance, Painted Spiny Lobster or Spiny Blue Lobster. The Blue Spiny Lobster or Painted Crayfish, has distinctive markings of azure blue stripes on its legs. The carapace is greenish-blue, and the dorsal surface is darker blue with a reticulated pattern. The tail fin is also blue. The abdominal segments have white bands and the antennae is very long. It lacks the large claws found on most other lobsters.
It is peaceful and multiple specimens may be kept in a large tank. It generally will not bother other inhabitants of the aquarium, except for sessile or other bottom dwelling animals. Live rock with multiple crevices and hiding places would provide a good environment. It may be shy when first introduced, but once acclimated, will be more visible.

It is capable of making a sound that is very similar to a cicada (locust). It may perform a dance-like maneuver, whipping its long, split white antennae as it moves about the tank.

It will eat most all types of meaty foods that are placed in the aquarium. It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications. It is extremely difficult to breed in an aquarium.

Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 1" to 2"; Medium: 2" to 3"; Large: 3" to 5"

cracker

Thanks Oxy That 1 for the lobster! Honestly I think it would be ok just not sure if I missed something!
Ok a member of my local club is looking for a home for his lobster. It's in his sump at the moment Why, I ask.

cracker

Yes Oxy ,like Lefty the hermit crab! Ok so this lobster was knocking some stuff over but it was in a smaller tank. This bug is somewhat larger than your average crab. Now I don't trust crabs so me wanting the lobster is a double standard! I think I can keep an eye on him. If I feed him well hopefully?? I watched a video of a blue lobster ripping up a snail or two ! I think it was a political thing and the video highly edited! Like so much news I see these days! LOL So anyway, If the deal goes thru I will give this guy a try, if not he will go to the LFS!

Squatch XXL

Good luck! I love to see someone trying their luck with a crusty crab thing. These buggers look totally outrageous! Its a great find, and hopefully it plays nice with its new friends. I would be really interested in knowing if its sound that it makes is audible outside of the glass box. What a cool critter!

mtsully71

Ya never know until you try it, keep it fed and it appears you may not have any issues in a reef. I don't remember if you have a sump or not (I assume you do). But if he gets feisty you could always send him to solitaire.

I like it :thumber2:

Oxylebius

Go for it! What many people don't see up front is that some of these critters have the most interesting personalities. Take for instance those that 'get' keeping stomatopods, like lobsters, have dedicated tanks (maybe have an aggressive fish or two) and you can keep some very interesting pets.

Squatch XXL

Take for instance those that 'get' keeping stomatopods

The character my mantis has more than makes up for the fact that she will not play nice with other crabs/snails and generally the clean up crew. Very much the most animated and intelligent critter I've ever kept in a glass cage. Terrifyingly intelligent. It is very enjoyable watching her grow while inspecting the large turbo snails.....knowing that one day she will figure out how to crack their shell.

Oxylebius

The character my mantis has more than makes up for the fact that she will not play nice with other crabs/snails and generally the clean up crew. Very much the most animated and intelligent critter I've ever kept in a glass cage. Terrifyingly intelligent. It is very enjoyable watching her grow while inspecting the large turbo snails.....knowing that one day she will figure out how to crack their shell.

AND those eyes - they just know things

cracker

Honestly I perceive Crabs and Mantis aren't looking at our souls They are sizing us up for dinner, wishing they were bigger! Also I haven't heard from the guy with the lobster. He said YA at the beginning So I'm not sure now.

cracker

Ok The guy said yes! I'll pick him up on the 22nd! Should be interesting !
on a side note I cleaned out my overflows for the 1st time today,about 6 years. This is what I got out of just one LOL!
And I wonder why I have excess algae issues !!!!

Last edited:

cracker

That's right Folks, I'm trying to create a new food craze. Bubble algea Lo mein!
If I washed all the grit off of it and threw it in a wok??
Sorry the lobster is not for eating!

Last edited: