Spiney Blue Lobster???

cracker

Thanks for the replies Everybody. This long antenna devil is in the sump now. Squatch, the lobster is a lot bigger than Kitty so he was easily netted and exiled to the sump.There is plenty of room in there with LR so I think he will be fine until I figure out what to do I want to do with the 75. I think all I need is a good skimmer . I have every thing else.

cracker

Well Lobster Boy molted again . I understand it may eat the old shell. I think I will leave it to see if this if this true I dried out the 1st molt and put super glue on all the joints. Trust me , there are a lot of joints on a lobster. I sprayed the whole thing with clear lacquer. It came out ok at best .

cracker

The mount will come out ok , I lost an eye ball and the tail curled a bit. LOL I just need the right piece of drift wood to mount it on. That is a side project that doesn't belong here . I'm guilty of getting off topic on my own thread!
Ok so I have the 75 that all I needed was an excuse to setup. The glass on this tank is verily stained. I'm going to try some muratic acid to see if it will cut this stuff. I will know by this weekend if it worked. If not the setup starts right away, stains or not.

Last edited:

Squatch XXL

The glass on this tank is verily stained. I'm going to try some muratic acid to see if it will cut this stuff.
On my 80gallon I used a $30 buffer with "Bar keepers friend". It cleaned every mark off of the glass. However, It needs to be rinsed out totally as it is not safe for our wet friends.

EDIT*

I forgot to mention your mount:

That is stupendous. Another option would be to carve a piece of styrofoam to attach the shell pieces to. paint it black than glue your carapace to it. Also, you should get some googly eyes for it. Make sure it does not get wet either or madness will ensue.

Last edited:

cracker

Man I can't believe it's been this long since I post here. The lobster is still hanging out in my refugium. This ref section is 24 by 16 by 17. There is a simple rock pile in there for a little privacy. He get's a small bait shrimp every other day.
so setup a 75 for the lobster rock and all but was unhappy with the over the back overflow, it was very noisy. I have been posting about this setup on" my 200 thread" . I ordered a fancy overflow, I have the sand and plumbing. I put the rock in a can, drained the tank and then this arctic blast of freezing cold air comes form the hard cold north! I'ts been 37 all day! If it's going to be this cold it mind as well snow!
so I think the lobster is OK for the time being and I will have a tank setup for him in the near future,,,, I think !

cracker

Ok so Lobster boy is pretty cool. when I look in the sump in the morning one of his antenna will be sticking out over the edge of the sump, poking out of the water a little bit. I just barely touch it. He doesn't like that much LOL. Now if I have a silver side in hand he will attack my hand to get it. He makes a noise I can't describe with words So he molted 3 times sine October. the 1st I took. The 2nd left in there it disappeared quickly. The 3rd molt was perfect. It's on a cookie sheet in the deep freeze. so from now on I will leave a molt for him to eat. I don't know if so many molts means he's stressed or just growing. I do know he's eating well. I'm so close to getting this tank setup. Once he's in there I'll have pics for Y'all.
By the way the term Y'all is southern for "You Guys" up north. LOL:yup:

Squatch XXL

Its my understanding that they molt because they are growing. If you are feeding him every other day, I can imagine that he is a very spoiled and stuffed lobster. From what I read, these can get over a foot long. Id imagine that he has lots of molts ahead of him.
He makes a noise I can't describe with words
I had read that this species does make an odd "humming" type of noise. I think I commented on it earlier, but I really think that is pretty neat. I love coming to this thread so that I can enjoy this critter through you. Since I don't have a crustacean in my tank any more, I am simply going to have to be happy till the spring when these things start getting shipped again. Until then Ill be waiting to see this 75g in action with its new occupant.

Oxylebius

Great to hear the lobster is doing well. I would like to see more pics if you can manage to get them in the sump. A very cool critter!

Squatch XXL

Now I wonder if lobsterboy is in fact a boy.

Good luck. i feel for you. The only way is similar to the mantis, and its in the swimmeretts....(Color of the mantis plays a big part as well)

I actually googled this to see. Some good info, and it seems that lobsters in general have a few distinctions. It is good that you are getting this info before you move it up to the big tank. When you relocate it, you should be able to take a glance.

I am not going to regurgitate what I read tonight as my own...And Im sure you have seen this, but just for information sake:

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=93393
Link has a great photo, as well as a few great five dollar words to toss about your next party.

http://marinelife.about.com/od/invertebrates/f/SexingLobsters.htm

This link is lacking photos, but adds to the previous link.

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Panulirus_versicolor
This link is useless. You should update it, because you apparently know more than the author. The identification area needs punctuation corrected. It should end with a question mark, and not a period.

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dar/fishing/...-to-determine-sex-of-regulated-invertebrates/

This one should make it abundantly clear. You may be able to see this if she/he is showing the underside in your tank.

Also, you should try to ask it on a date. Its response should let you know....However, times are a bit odd, and anything is possible there. Dating is not what it used to be.

cracker

Squatch, I hadn't even started a search yet. when I found the links You posted. I have a perfect molt in hand . There are no pincers on the back legs so I'm going to call this critter a male.
As for a date, When he gets bigger, I may invite him over for dinner someday!

cracker

Folks I'm sorry to say I lost Lobsterboy today. A few days ago he quite eating. Thought for sure he was molting again. This morn there was the molt but sadly the lobster was still in there. No telling what happened but still he was under my care and I'm not happy ! :blue:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
e4135406951feb9b6bd685ef019e8d06.jpg