Eric's RSM650

LakeLivin

My guess is that it's because you don't have enough bio load to keep feeding the cycle. I used bacteria in a bottle to start my tank and never added any ammonia as part of the process.

I will have to go back to my build thread and refresh my memory reference the product I used but I remember adding a bottle on day one and a maintenance bottle a few days later. I also had a lot of live rock and live sand which helped add bacteria to the water and I threw in some left over crab meat instead of the typical shrimp most use.

eric w

Thanks..,But I'm adding ammonia each day that acts like a bio load.. So I'm a little confused on what to do..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LakeLivin

Based on the measurements you have posted I would add a couple of fish and start feeding them and the tank. You have the good fortune of having a second tank all setup so you can quickly remove the fish if you experience an ammonia spike.

You may have seen this video but it explains the process of using bacteria in a bottle and is very informative.

eric w

thanks...and yes i saw that before.. i sent an email to dr tims for some help.... i just took measurements again and it is the same.... ammonia 0....nitrites 0.1-0.25....so do i dose again today? or should i wait 24 hours....and if zeros then dose again? really unsure of what to do...thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
you could when you think it's cycled... add a deli shrimp, this is just like a fish that died & was back in the rock work where you could not get it out & you let it rot, on a cycled tank, it will handle it

I can tell you I believe having followed several threads using Dr. Tim's ... "I believe" it can be messed up... and Dr. Tim would tell one... "you didn't do it right"... I have seen tank threads where it worked well & I have seen tank threads that "thought" their tank cycled when it didn't and crashed a month latter when more fish were added ... I remember the members being sooo discouraged.

I am sure dosing the ammonia will work, "if done right" whatever that is...

hope something here helps... me when I though it was cycled, I would add a deli shrimp before adding a live fish & test for a few more days... as it rotted

eric w

Well I'm cycled.. Did 120 gallon water change.. And put my two clowns in yesterday.. Done a couple tests and zeros on ammonia and nitrite.. Going to wait a few days and add my other 3 fish..

DaveR11

Well I'm cycled.. Did 120 gallon water change.. And put my two clowns in yesterday.. Done a couple tests and zeros on ammonia and nitrite.. Going to wait a few days and add my other 3 fish..

Hey Eric, great news on the fish going in. Has your skimmer settled down now?

snappa53

Are we supposed to feed our coral banded shrimp? We only 2 cromies so there isn't much fish poo? We feed the corals brin twice a week and phytoplankton.
Secondly, We have a large turbo snail that has suddenly gotten hairy. it used to be shiny. Any ideas on this?
Go to Liveaquaria.com for good information on all critters Christie.

eric w

Hi all.... well I got my 5 fish over from the 250 into the new tank. Seem to be happy.... been watching ammonia and nitrite...and they have been at zeros.....i do have some brown algae growing on my rocks.....im going to add a CUC this week and talked to John at Reef Cleaners....he suggested the following..

120 Dwarf Ceriths
49 Nassarius
73 Florida Ceriths
55 Nerites
2 Florida Fighting Conchs

my question is since i don't have a lot of algae yet should i only add like half of the CUC...and wait for a little longer to add the rest....or just go ahead and add them now....thanks

Oxylebius

I suggest adding a quarter to a third that amount of cuc at first. If you don't have enough food for them they will die. I am of the opinion that many places sell WAY too many cuc for tanks. 12 nassarius total is all you need in the 650, one conch, and a quarter to a third less on all the other snails as well.

If in 2-4 months you find that you are getting an algae that they are not eating, at that point you won't want to re-order these critters again, b/c you will be more interested in targeting a cuc that will eat a certain species of algae.

My two cents.

eric w

Have another question....i had asked before but got no replies... after the tank has been up and going it is running about 84-85 degrees...so i will need a chiller... i had posted an idea about a manifold that I'm not sure is the correct way to design it...if anyone could help me out that would be great...also it will be a dedicated pump and manifold for my chiller, reactors, and future equipment if needed. does it matter where the pump is placed in the sump? and what about the return....once i get this all figured out i will figure out my runs and such and if any pump gurus could help me size one out that would be great. thanks

DaveR11

Can't help you mate. It is a bit colder here in the UK but starting to warm up and I'm wondering about a chiller. The heaters have not been on in days and I've had the temperature at 28 degrees Celsius (82.5F). I'll be interested in any replies you get.

Great news on moving your fish over - I saw a yellow tang and 2 clowns - what are the others?

eric w

4c866ab42430794f2a9351c4305710ce.jpg

Haven't posted much lately.. But this cleaner is awesome.. U can clean along the glass under the sand bed.. I still have a regular float cleaner but this is a must