Wrangy's 50 Gallon Reef Cube

Frankie

RS STAFF
You may try zeozym for the nitrate issue. It helped my system a lot back then. It helps bind the junk in the water and carry it to the skimmer

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice. KZ carbon is good but Rox is better if you can get it.
If your happy that is all that matters :)
Not so sure about restricting the food7 though. It helps the bac to proliferate.
I need to do some reading. I believe I reduced food7 after my first year due to bacterial growth on my glass. It cleared and I never used it again.
Most of my knowledge is from 4 years ago, so things may have changed since then.
Thanks for the great conversation!

Frank

I love a good reefing and zeo conversation, thanks for stopping by!
I'm happy, for the moment ;) haha I'll have a look at Rox carbon but I don't think we can get it here unfortunately.
Food7 is pretty much a direct nutrient source which is used to feed bacteria populations, this means it's only good in ULN systems or brand new tanks due to them having no or minute nutrient levels. Whereas my tank or already running tanks have nutrient levels and the bacteria get lots to feed from, therefore adding food while just having started is almost like through gas on a burning bush to put it out haha I've still got nutrients as I have growth still and get the diatom dusting on the glass, once that goes, I'll be adding food7 to ensure enough food is available :) Until then it's just the basics to reduce everything to the point of ULN then I get to play! Hopefully that makes sense haha
Not a huge amount, just a few little tweaks I think and some new products, I definitely have a look at zeozym, I've always sort of had it in the back of my mind so I might give it a go :) I use biomate which does a similar job but aimed more at phosphate reduction

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Got my new powerheads today :D exciting times!! lol I've now got two RW8 Jebao powerheads in the tank, the reason being I was unhappy with the laminar flow from the Tunze 6045's and I wanted a little bit of variation going through the tank and also a bit more flow to all of the corals, some of the acro's didn't have a lot of flow reaching them unfortunately so I've added one and got that on a wave cycle and the other one will be added once I feel the tank has adjusted to the new flow patterns of the new powerhead and then I'll have lots of pretty water movement that'll hopefully help keep my corals extra happy and healthy :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The sps are loving the new flow in the tank!! I've got even more polyp extension since adding random flow!! Start of next week I'll be introducing the second powerhead :)

So I've taken some different tank shots so everyone can get an idea of the tank and how it looks and feels and how I personally have things setup :)
The tank, I only have one barrel next to it but there's two because I just changed the ato water over:

Lighting legs (to put it politely, I love these lights!!) Been using them for a year now and only ever had excellent growth and colours, not the sleekest looking lights but I adore them! I can't recommend them any higher:

ATO container and feed-line to the tank:

I have the ato feed into the overflow, really easy to have it there:

Sump shots, back left is inflow and skimmer section, front is heater, ato sensor and carbon bag and the back right is return pump and zeo reactor:

Basile

Very cool set up man i'm looking for a similar set up in my living compact like this.

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Very cool set up man i'm looking for a similar set up in my living compact like this.
Thanks Basile :D I love it and it works perfectly in the corner it lives in :) It's also going to be the perfect tank once I move out as it's small enough to fit in most apartments/units/townhouses lol but still big enough for me to not feel the overwhelming urge to go bigger haha.

Looking good. What is that on the skimmer cone? Salt creap?
Thanks Frankie :) Yep, you guessed it haha I get a little creep on the cone and the inflow pipe as you can see. Doesn't do any harm or affect levels so I just ignore it and the skimmer doesn't care haha

You just have to remember to clean your air intake out every few months though! I got home the other day and was really annoyed because I thought the skimmer had crapped itself so I pulled it out and started to take it apart and I looked at the air intake line and it had been nearly completely sealed :banghead: going to be checking this little guy every couple of months from now on, the skimmer is working much better than it has in the last month or so and I now know why :laughroll

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Those sticks look awesome! Are they all from fragalicious?

Thanks Mike! I'm pretty happy with how my acro's are going and the pieces I've got :) Some are from Fragalicious, the really emerald fuzzy acro is, the little greeny sort of one at the front of the tank is as well and the one growing out over the sandbed in the middle is too and they're some of the healthiest and quick to adjust acro's I've gotten, quite a few if my zoas and decent rics are from them too! The pink in the centre, the pink tabling, my tricolours (that are slowly turning) and my orange and green metallic acro are all from Ultra Corals Australia, they shipped really poorly so they're really only starting to become amazing, it took about 3 months before I got anything from them but I'm patient and I love my acro's so no biggie haha
The rest of my acro's are from lfs's, mostly Reeflections who have some of the best acro and sps I've seen!

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks Basile :D I love it and it works perfectly in the corner it lives in :) It's also going to be the perfect tank once I move out as it's small enough to fit in most apartments/units/townhouses lol but still big enough for me to not feel the overwhelming urge to go bigger haha.

Thanks Frankie :) Yep, you guessed it haha I get a little creep on the cone and the inflow pipe as you can see. Doesn't do any harm or affect levels so I just ignore it and the skimmer doesn't care haha

You just have to remember to clean your air intake out every few months though! I got home the other day and was really annoyed because I thought the skimmer had crapped itself so I pulled it out and started to take it apart and I looked at the air intake line and it had been nearly completely sealed :banghead: going to be checking this little guy every couple of months from now on, the skimmer is working much better than it has in the last month or so and I now know why :laughroll
Yeah I thought so. Having a similar issue on the side of my skimmer. I think it is just over spray from the bubbles in the skimmer chamber.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah it doesn't affect anything so I don't really worry or care about it haha

Something pretty awesome happened last night while I was near the tank that my girlfriend spotted! We got to witness three Mexican Turbo's spawn last night. It was pretty incredible to say the least, they manage to cloud the tank up lol but the corals seemed to love it, hopefully this means a few babies for me down the track! Best part was I never purchased these guys, they came in on the rock :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah it was really cool and made me happy knowing I've got some happy snails haha

Snid

Yeah... Happy because they aren't land snails. You should see how those guys spawn. It's surprisingly brutal! Makes me glad I'm not a snail. Seriously...

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah... Happy because they aren't land snails. You should see how those guys spawn. It's surprisingly brutal! Makes me glad I'm not a snail. Seriously...

hahaha I know right! They're probably also glad that they're not sea slugs either that spear each other in the head when mating :laughroll it's a battle royale with them!!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Update time!! :)

Zeo is now nearly in it's second month of running in the tank and I still couldn't be happier about having it setup in my tank! Lot's of improvements and lots of algae reductions!!! I'm currently fighting a battle with an outbreak of caulerpa nummularia so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them! It's mainly because pretty much all algal competition has died off, so after a while this stuff will too but most other algae's are now gone or nearly gone as the nutrients continue to decline :) I'm going to bump the Mg up just a fraction just to help the cause along a little bit and it's a tad low at the moment :)

I recently bought some new wavemakers to change the flow in the tank up a bit as I wasn't happy with the laminar flow anymore and wanted some more turbulence in the water to get the acro's with more water movement so I bought myself two Jebao RW-4 wavermakers and I love them! Really good cheap alternatives to the Ecotech or Tunze wavewakers :) I love my Tunze but I can't afford to add the kind of setup for controllable pumps, nor are they small enough! The tank seems a lot happy with a bit of variation going on and some randomness so I'm happy!

Fish are happy and healthy, enjoying their lives in my tank and everyone gets along well which I really love! A little while back I added a new and final fish to my tank but haven't really made any updates about her as I wanted to ensure her happiness and health before revealing her to everyone but she's just such a character and get's along well with everyone! A few niggles with my dwarf angelfish occasionally but that's to be expected and it rarely happens anymore :) Now she is only a juvenile at the moment and is quite happy to be in my tank rather than the smaller tank at the lfs she had been at for 8 weeks prior, if at anytime she becomes unhappy I'll be finding a better home!
Meet the newest member of my fishie family, my wonderful Bellus Angelfish:

Ricordea garden:

Zoa garden:

Acropora, acropora and more acropora :D

Now I'm not sure what this little guy is but it's starting to show pink colouring so I'm hoping it turns into something as nice as it's potential looks!!

My lovely lobophyllia (and rainbow monti, who's rainbowed again!!):

Some frags:

All in all the tank is doing really well and everything is really happy :)