Epster's RSM 250

Epster

Hey guys, :hallo:

As promised in my meet and greet post here, this is my tank thread.

This is my RSM 250 which I have had for about 2 1/2 years now, but I only just found this forum.

Full Tank shot
IMG_0009.jpg

I recently changed the light bulbs to:
One - ATI Purple Plus 39W 36" T5 Bulb
Three - ATI Blue Plus 39W 36" T5 Bulb
One - ATI 12000K Aquablue Special 39W 36" T5 Bulb
One - ATI Coral Plus 39W 36" T5 Bulb

Tank Readings
pH - 8.2
NO3 - 10
NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0

Stock:
1 x Clown fish
4 x Green Chromis
10 x Turbo snails
1 x Emerald crab.

As for corals, I have no idea what I where to start, anyone got any recommended links for me to read up on?

I have some macro algae in the tank and I have been struggling to identify / work out if I should keep it or remove it.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Hope someone will be able to ID and help me out with them.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know.

Cheers
Epster

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nice colonies of Macro Algae!

Start with some softies and zoas, work your way up to LPS, and finally make it to SPS. Done. :) I haven't been in the hobby for 2.5 years, and my tank is awesome for any coral. You're ready. :D

dmatt88

U have 6 t5 lights. Therefore u can grow about anything. How do u envision ur tank?

..........used coral frags. half off.

lethal

Welcome to RS. My tank is roughly the same age as yours so you are good to go on the corals. I started with softies and then went to lps and zoas. Unfortunately i've had no luck with sps but that's probably just me. Good luck.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I like your macroalgae. I think you may have a couple of the halimeda species, possibly Halimeda Monile and Halimeda tuna. There are several types though. I think macroalgae adds to the diversity of the tank and if it's not overtanking your tank, which these species don't tend to do that, I'd keep it.

Epster

U have 6 t5 lights. Therefore u can grow about anything. How do u envision ur tank?

..........used coral frags. half off.

Eventually I would like some SPS in there as I really like the look of them, but I think I will need to work up to them!

In the mean time has anyone got any suggestions for some easy starter corals to start off with.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Epster

dmatt88

With a few yr old tank you can start sps. I love the green slimer acro. Plus ya gotta get Frogspawn n a monti. Id jump over to Myreeftoyours.com n look there. Jared is the owner n he's throwing in a Montipora with orders over 110$ with free shipping. The dude is first class n I've never had a doa. Ask him any questions you may have.

..........who wants a cold one.

Epster

So, whilst I was in the LFS picking up some water, I decided to go have a look in at the fish and came home with this little dude.

15f07f24.jpg

15f07f24.jpg

He has settled in nicely and is doing fine.

Corals next - just need to decide on what

Cheers

Epster

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Very pretty - nice addition !

Here a great link for corals https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets

Sensitivity/Difficulty:
Level 1 - easy to care for, good corals for the novice aquarist
Level 2 - require slightly more attention than level 1 corals, but
still generally tolerant
Level 3 - require stable, established aquariums and care by an
experienced aquarist
Level 4 - should only be kept by the most experienced aquarists
Level 5 - not known to be able to survive in aquariums, even under the
care of the most experienced aquarists

Epster

Cheers, will check it out.

I seem to be having a problem with my skimmer as the bubbles are no where near the collection cup even with the air nozzle thing wide open, is this a sign that the pump is on its way out or does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix it please?

Cheers
Epster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lethal

The skimmer pump may need a good clean out. This happens to me fairly often and it can be caused by a build up of deposits in the plastic fitting that the airline attaches to down at the pump. I give it a good soak in a vinegar solution, blow it out and all should be sweet.

Epster

The skimmer pump may need a good clean out. This happens to me fairly often and it can be caused by a build up of deposits in the plastic fitting that the airline attaches to down at the pump. I give it a good soak in a vinegar solution, blow it out and all should be sweet.

Thanks Lethal,

Do I need to run the pump in the solution or just soak it? Also, how much vinegar to water should I use? How long should I soak for?

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers
Epster

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No need to run it in the solution, just soak it. Take it apart and put all the pieces in the solution. Sometimes I use straight vinegar, sometimes I use a 50/50 water/vinegar solution. All depends on how much time I have for cleaning. If I'm in more of a hurry, I use more vinegar to speed things up. If you are just cleaning it, usually about an hour will do fine. If you are trying to remove coralline algae from something, it might take longer.

Epster

Thanks Greg and Glenn :clink:

I will try those suggestions when I get back from work and let you know how I get on.

Also, do you think it's worth soaking the other pumps while I am at it?

Cheers
Epster

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I do all my pumps at the same time. This way a couple times a year, you pull all of them, soak and clean them and you know you are good to go until the next time.