Spawn#4 - larvae is now 7 days old!

Spawn #4 is 7 days old and well into metamorphosis :dance:

200807184Larvae7daysold001.jpg

200807184Larvae7daysold002.jpg

200807184Larvae7daysold003.jpg

200807184Larvae7daysold004.jpg

200807184Larvae7daysold005.jpg

KathyL

One note on the rotifers... add a sponge filter in their buckets. It does wonders.

Brilliant! Wonder where you learned that?

Hey this is a fantastic thread! Very exciting and informative. I am thrilled by your success, and the answer to the question: Are picasso clowns genetically distinct, or just a lucky misbar. It's genetic! You are going to enjoy watching those fish grow up, and so are we, thanks to your wonderful thread.

We hope to see more of you on MOFIB! MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding

Best regards,
Kathy
of Kathy's Clowns
Kathy's Clowns, Captive bred clownfishK

vdituri

Wow. I don't know what to say after that. Maybe wow again.
Thank you for including us in your ride.

Have anything in a monet? lol

Gina

RS STAFF
Just got back from three days in Ohio and had to check things out here.
I see things are progressing along very well.
Have you talked to any of the LFS to see if they are interested in purchasing any of the babies?

deaclauderdale

Wow Doni I see everything is going well so far. I think I speak for all when I say we are dumbfounded and highly appreciative of the work your doing.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
so are you adding a sponge filter with an airline? this would suck the rotifers in and kill them.

Or is the sponge filter just seeded and then tossed in one place?

MarvinsReef

Doni... I love the sideburns on the spawn #3 babies... and one of them looks like it'll be a killer specimen when all grown up... :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Brilliant! Wonder where you learned that?

Hey this is a fantastic thread! Very exciting and informative. I am thrilled by your success, and the answer to the question: Are picasso clowns genetically distinct, or just a lucky misbar. It's genetic! You are going to enjoy watching those fish grow up, and so are we, thanks to your wonderful thread.

We hope to see more of you on MOFIB! MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding

Best regards,
Kathy
of Kathy's Clowns
Kathy's Clowns, Captive bred clownfishK

:hallo: Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Kathy! You'll definately continue to see me at MOFIB. Reading all of the information found there has helped me a ton. Thanks :)
Beautiful clowns you have!! Congrats on your long term success with raising them :thumbup:
..and thanks for sharing your 'sponge in the rotifer culture' tip over at MOFIB :D

Wow. I don't know what to say after that. Maybe wow again.
Thank you for including us in your ride.

Have anything in a monet? lol

Hehehe... I think I see the beginnings of a few Monets ;)

Ahhhh.. got my daily fix!

Jason

LOL~ :D

Just got back from three days in Ohio and had to check things out here.
I see things are progressing along very well.
Have you talked to any of the LFS to see if they are interested in purchasing any of the babies?

Welcome back Gina :)
No, I've not talked to any about selling but I have mentioned to one that I am rearing a few.

the LFS won't get that many, the waiting list has 50 clowns reserved!

Hahaha~ Well, I think they'll get only the 'plain ones'.... I will hang onto any picasso-like babies until I can sell them myself.

Wow Doni I see everything is going well so far. I think I speak for all when I say we are dumbfounded and highly appreciative of the work your doing.
Thank you! I am glad you're enjoying it :D Some nights I just want to go to bed after dinner but I won't until this is updated with new pics. Feel free to karma me to keep me going... ;)

Way cool contrast between hatches. What a difference two weeks makes!

Yep, two weeks in the beginning growth stages is a huge difference!

so are you adding a sponge filter with an airline? this would suck the rotifers in and kill them.

Or is the sponge filter just seeded and then tossed in one place?
Yes, with an airline going. It doesn't seem to deter their population explotion ;)
KathyL has been doing it for months now with great success.

Doni... I love the sideburns on the spawn #3 babies... and one of them looks like it'll be a killer specimen when all grown up... :)

Me too! The sideburns and face spots are just adorable! I wonder if all of the spawns will show those markings.... time will tell :)

GSELLERS

i would thik that the rotifers would get sucked in, trapped and perish polluting the water...Or would the death of the rotifers become foor for the bacteria so they can do their job....

GSELLERS

pulled from Marinebreeder.org by kathyL
They do get sucked in the filter, but they seem to multiply there just as well as they do in the open water. I've been squeezing the sponge out daily in a separate dry bucket, then filtering the rots out of the sponge water, and using the filtered rots for my larvae. The sponge filter goes back into the culture. These rots are not harmed by living in the sponge, and the culture in the bucket, outside of the sponge, is full of rots, too. I remove rots from the water every day, too.

i answered my own question :)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Dunno.. but I think the rate of water flow through the sponge is the key to success. Not too strong of a flow should be made.

lcstorc

It is so interresting the way some have a clearly seen second stripe or picasso like markins while others still just have the head stripe. It will be very interresting to see how they develop.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
GSELLERS said:
pulled from Marinebreeder.org by kathyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyL
They do get sucked in the filter, but they seem to multiply there just as well as they do in the open water. I've been squeezing the sponge out daily in a separate dry bucket, then filtering the rots out of the sponge water, and using the filtered rots for my larvae. The sponge filter goes back into the culture. These rots are not harmed by living in the sponge, and the culture in the bucket, outside of the sponge, is full of rots, too. I remove rots from the water every day, too.

i answered my own question :)

LOL.. so then squeeze gently. :D