Rearing Picasso Percula Clownfish!

MarvinsReef

Thanks Jbob :)

SeahorseBT - I don't know if I will raise #5 or not....:smack:
IF #3 grows enough to safely move into a larger tank, I will then have an empty nursery and will raise them.
#5 will hatch in 7 days so we'll see how much #3 grows over the next week.

Doni, keep up the good work.. I'll hope #4 will be as successful as #3... looking forward to seeing pics daily... :D :D

it'll be sad if you don't end up raising #5... :(

mps9506

You know that reminds me of something I haven't quite figured out with marine fish. Why isn't live birth more common as a survival technique?

There was an evolutionary advantage for pelagic fish to spawn that way. Organisms that release massive amounts of eggs and sperm bet on numbers. They put relatively little energy into making sure offspring survive and basically hedge their bets that a couple out of the millions released will make it to adulthood. It's an easy life. :)
On the other end of the spectrum are organisms that raise one or two offspring but put massive amounts of energy into making sure they make it into adulthood (think elephants and humans).
Egg layers and live bearers are somewhere in the middle.

You gotta figure a lot of fish have a hard enough time making sure they don't get eaten by a bigger fish, and find food for themselves on a daily basis that they don't really have the extra energy into keeping their young protected.

Premnas

This is the best thread I've ever read. The pictures are fantastic. The babies are showing all sorts of patterns! You have inspired me to raise a batch. The rotifer kit arrived today from LFS and I'm expecting a hatching tonight. I decided to collect the fry in the morning instead of taking out the flower pot and hatching them artificially. I'll collect fry from the 50 gallon tank and transfer them to a 2 1/2 gallon tank. I'll be happy with a few dozen. The tank is filtered only with a large old fashion corner filter so I turned it down low so as not to stir up the fry too much if they do hatch tonight. The lone survivor from the previous spawn is still growing but has not developed its head bar yet and still swims with its head up. He has eaten nothing but baby brine shrimp and is about 16 days old. I don't think it will grow to be a normal fish but we'll see what happens.

Woodstock, I am farely new. Ok this is my first post here. Just found you guys. What i would like to say is. THANK YOU! With your help, we may be able to lower the darn prices of these fish.

I'd love to take a pair of your hands. Put me on the list ;)

MarvinsReef

dibs on Spawn #4... planning on pickin' up a pair from spawn #3 and hopefully I'm the first to get another pair from spawn #4... :D :) :D

lcstorc

Simply amazing. You are one busy lady.
What is #3 eating at this point? Their colors are coming out beautifully.

Tonz of fun

I just read last week the the clownfish has become more and more extinct because of the popularity of the clownfish. They blamed the success on the movie "Finding Nemo" if you can believe that. I think Doni is single handily going to repopulate the ocean and win the Nobel Peace Prize for it lol...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Good luck!

The older kids look like they broke into your white out. I'm tellin! lol

LOL :D

OMG that is amazing Doni. You're gonna need your own LFS system setup if you keep this up. PM Jack and see what he's got :D

Hahaha... I plan on visiting a few LFS this weekend to get some set up ideas.

Doni, keep up the good work.. I'll hope #4 will be as successful as #3... looking forward to seeing pics daily... :D :D

it'll be sad if you don't end up raising #5... :(

Thanks :) Skipping a spawn would be very tough :( but I'll do my best to find room for them.

There was an evolutionary advantage for pelagic fish to spawn that way. Organisms that release massive amounts of eggs and sperm bet on numbers. They put relatively little energy into making sure offspring survive and basically hedge their bets that a couple out of the millions released will make it to adulthood. It's an easy life. :)
On the other end of the spectrum are organisms that raise one or two offspring but put massive amounts of energy into making sure they make it into adulthood (think elephants and humans).
Egg layers and live bearers are somewhere in the middle.

You gotta figure a lot of fish have a hard enough time making sure they don't get eaten by a bigger fish, and find food for themselves on a daily basis that they don't really have the extra energy into keeping their young protected.

Nice post Mike! :thumbup:

This is the best thread I've ever read. The pictures are fantastic. The babies are showing all sorts of patterns! You have inspired me to raise a batch. The rotifer kit arrived today from LFS and I'm expecting a hatching tonight. I decided to collect the fry in the morning instead of taking out the flower pot and hatching them artificially. I'll collect fry from the 50 gallon tank and transfer them to a 2 1/2 gallon tank. I'll be happy with a few dozen. The tank is filtered only with a large old fashion corner filter so I turned it down low so as not to stir up the fry too much if they do hatch tonight. The lone survivor from the previous spawn is still growing but has not developed its head bar yet and still swims with its head up. He has eaten nothing but baby brine shrimp and is about 16 days old. I don't think it will grow to be a normal fish but we'll see what happens.

Thank you :)
I am thrilled to hear you will try to raise your babies also! :dance:
Tank bred fish are the best!!

Woodstock, I am farely new. Ok this is my first post here. Just found you guys. What i would like to say is. THANK YOU! With your help, we may be able to lower the darn prices of these fish.

I'd love to take a pair of your hands. Put me on the list ;)

Thank you :)
I'll be glad to flood the market with picasso clownfish :D

dibs on Spawn #4... planning on pickin' up a pair from spawn #3 and hopefully I'm the first to get another pair from spawn #4... :D :) :D

I will do my best to give you dibs on #4 Marvin but I have to follow the list of names to be fair to everyone. It might be that #3 and #4 will be put together into the same grow out tank so differentiating between the two spawns would be impossible... I do not know just yet.

Simply amazing. You are one busy lady.
What is #3 eating at this point? Their colors are coming out beautifully.

Thanks Lynn :) The chores are definately increasing but so far I still smile while doing them ;)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
man thats awesome i can't wait to see them get even more color they're lookin real good

Thanks Tru2nr :)

I just read last week the the clownfish has become more and more extinct because of the popularity of the clownfish. They blamed the success on the movie "Finding Nemo" if you can believe that. I think Doni is single handily going to repopulate the ocean and win the Nobel Peace Prize for it lol...

Wow.. that is sad :(
Tank bred fish should ALWAYS be the choice for conscientious aquarist!!!!
Not only are they (usually) disease free, but they're already acclimated to glass walls and humans. It's just the smart thing to do.

Save Nemo, buy a tank bred clownfish!! :D

Octoman

I still don't understand how "Finding Nemo" makes kids want a pet Nemo, I thought Darla was the bad guy in the movie. It made me want to set all my fish free...

I can't believe how fast they're growing up Doni! Looks like you will have plenty of Picasso's in there too, I'll be really interested to see how it comes out.

goldenmean

You pics just keep getting better and better.
Looks like Pablo is doing a nice job with his paint. . . errr white out!

Seems like your babies are making some internet noise. Very cool!

revhtree

Wow just found this thread thanks to Marvin and man oh man this is sooo exciting!! I would love to have my name added to a list for a pair of these beautiful babies! :D

Keep up the good work! One day I would lov to try and raise any kinda baby clowns.

May I ask what are the chances of getting a Picasso pair to mate and lay eggs?

plecosword

Wow.. that is sad :(
Tank bred fish should ALWAYS be the choice for conscientious aquarist!!!!
Not only are they (usually) disease free, but they're already acclimated to glass walls and humans. It's just the smart thing to do.

Save Nemo, buy a tank bred clownfish!! :D
Hey thats a good one for a signature! mind if I use it?

breefcase

Please add me to your growing list as well. I am (attempting to ) raise my "onyx" true perc babies, and if I have any luck, would like to hook up your babies with mine! Maybe we can trade?

MarchspawnIII.jpg