ID of this sweet macroalgae? (Pic)

SeahorseBT

I guess I will start assembling a list then. I'll add you guys to it. Doni can edit her list because she's a mod right?

SeahorseBT

Wow, this list is already long. Here it is:

Chipmunkofdoom2
Dentiod
Jeremy0322
jjohnson3
Seafanstar
BigJay
reefer4200
Amnestia
Psiconauta
Nicoleblkwidow
Stacef
JohnMaloney
Degibson84
Icstorc
Tektite
DontXtripNfall

Last edited:

SeahorseBT

I am going to stop my uline today and get some boxes. I think I am going to get a big sheet of Styrofoam and cut the sides for the boxes. I used to work with sharkeysreef.com and they used to do that. I am going to leave a frag all packaged up as if I were going to ship it in the garage with a heat pack for 24 hours and see how it does. Should I go longer than 24 hours? Any input is welcome.

BigJay

during the winter I might worry about boxing it correctly and getting it out quickly. Once the weather stabilizes I would maybe consider two day shipping on it with no guarantees to the buyer. Three days is definetly pushing it. I've shipped many macros in tiny sealed bags in a regular envelope and they seem to do ok but considering the demand for the macro you have and the difficulty in obtaining it again I'd advise all buyers to spend the extra money on shipping it right.
Do you have any idea what you want for a frag yet? Have you seen considerable growth yet? I'm excited to get my hands on this one.
Oh John do you know what depth this grows best at? Curious to what lighting and current will do it best.

SeahorseBT

Yeah, this is a pretty fast grower. I think I am going to do $15 per frag. I think that is fair considering how rare it is. It seems to like my T5's.

johnmaloney

from 3-30 feet deep according to the book, not that I have seen it. That don't mean much. Lots of low light shallow species, as turbidity is increased in the shallows. I think just about any macro friendly light will work just fine. Reds aren't too demanding.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Jay you have it almost ID right :) It is a Nemastoma sp but more than likely is the Nemastoma gelatinosum from the Caribbean and not the Red Sea. However, being there are 60 some speices it is all a guess. There are not many pics on the net accept those by reefers and only very few there. :) It is just a so cool alage. I ID them once before. One only needs to seek or buy Littler & Littler book "Caribbean Reef Plants" . This is the master ID book.

Nemastoma sp
Nemastoma J. Agardh, 1842, nom. et orth. cons. :: Algaebase

IMG_5961.JPG

johnmaloney

nemastoma gelatinosum is Carribean only in distribution, the rock is from Jakarta, though.... poor SeahorseBt is going to have to get a microscope I think, it is only fair. ;)

+1 to that being a great book, nice color pictures. If you like that "The Seaweeds of Florida" by Dawes is awesome. Very comprehensive, but lots of sketches, cell slides, and written descriptions. Which are great for getting the species name, but you lose out on most of the fun. I hardly ever open that book and stay with field guides like the one you mentioned, and this other one I have with awesome drawings from 1917. I forgot the Author's name, I will haev to track that down for you.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
John

I missed that post by SeaHorse on Jakarta :(

There are qutie a few books, to include;

1. Abbot & Dawson
2. Hillson
3. Schneider
4. Lee.

I have Dawes's other book Marine Botany and also Luning's book. I have the Pacific books also, ie., Litter & Litter and Gavio & Trono Philipines but neither list any Nemastoma sp .

I have most of them but not Dawes's other book you have. I too have gotten away from the tax books.

SeahorseBT

Thanks for putting so much effort into identifying it guys. Nemastoma is good enough for me. I am not positive the algae came out of jakarta or maybe Bali. I am not positive.

SeahorseBT

Chipmunkofdoom2
Dentiod
Jeremy0322
jjohnson3
Seafanstar
BigJay
reefer4200
Amnestia
Psiconauta
Nicoleblkwidow
Stacef
JohnMaloney
Degibson84
Icstorc
Tektite
DontXtripNfall
BUGSY

johnmaloney

Yeah the tax books have lot of the info and none of the flavor. Seeing a sketch of an algae just doesn't cut it. I wish there was a field guide as comprehensive as the taxonomy books, but I guess that would cost a fortune to print.

Are any of the books you listed field guides?

SeahorseBT

Nope, I'll add you right now. I'll just copy and past it down...

Chipmunkofdoom2
Dentiod
Jeremy0322
jjohnson3
Seafanstar
BigJay
reefer4200
Amnestia
Psiconauta
Nicoleblkwidow
Stacef
JohnMaloney
Degibson84
Icstorc
Tektite
DontXtripNfall
BUGSY
OAKI4676

SeahorseBT

I have a few frags growing now, here is a crappy pic of them. I glued down a few and am going to try rubber-banding a few more to see how they hold.
Tanks538.jpg

BigJay

I'd like to see how the glued down ones fare as far as attaching. Most macros seem to detach themselves after a few weeks when glued down.

SeahorseBT

I'd like to see how the glued down ones fare as far as attaching. Most macros seem to detach themselves after a few weeks when glued down.
I have never experimented so I thought I would give it a try. They were loose so it was either glue them down or let them float away. Do you think rubber banding them with small rubber bands would work better?

I am going to start keeping a list on my computer so I don't have to keep posting it here. ryanb91 you are added to the list.