ID of this sweet macroalgae? (Pic)

SeahorseBT

I am going to start fragging soon. Hopefully tomorrow if I have the time.
Tanks005-2.jpg

SeahorseBT

Hopefully I can start the trading back up again. I took off a frag and now I need ideas on shipping. Any thoughts? I don't want to use a big styro.

johnmaloney

seaweed rots quickly when left in uncirculated water, so you might just want to ship it moist. With that said globular species tend to be very brittle when out of water, and if water can get in their insides later b/c of a tear it will harm the plant, and it might wither. Never had Nemastoma so I don't know if it is the same, but that seems like the case with other globular species I have had. Congratulations on being the newest popular macro keeper on the net! :) I thought I had it this week with caulerpa paspaloides but wow, nice find. :bow: :bow: :bow: I would try propping it by putting it next to some rubble and see if it would spread over it. I think I changed subject 4 times in this paragraph...:)

SeahorseBT

Wow, its really that rare? I'll try the rubble thing. So if I shipped it moist, then I would just wrap it in a wet paper towel? Maybe I will experiment with leaving one wrapped and one in a bag for a day to see how they would ship. If I do find a way to ship this, maybe I'll have to send some your way.:)

johnmaloney

if you did, you can have all the whatever you want that i have.... rare enough? :) Pass it out around the other members first though. I don't dive in a lot of different zones and environments, so maybe that is why I don't see it, (diveable areas in Florida cover SO much area, impossible to see it all in a lifetime), but no I haven't. I have asked other divers, and none of them have found it either.

Last edited:

johnmaloney

may not be nemastoma I am thinking then, not sure if the nemastoma in Florida is pantropical. In the Pacific they have more reds like the one you have. i have an id book for that area now, I will check it later and see if it helps. Still cool, you have to seem some of the other algae from the Pacific. I need to go there at some point.

johnmaloney

After looking at it, it appears to be Predaea weldii instead. Picture I have in the Pacific guide is almost a dead match.

johnmaloney

I think the first ID was off, nemastoma will have pink tips, but not orange. Predaea weldii according to the book is known for orange tips and dichotomous branching. The source it came from too, not sure if nemastoma is pantropical. Either way they are so closely related it doesn't matter much. The pictures are so close anyway.

Last edited:

BigJay

thanks John. You definetly know more then I do or have access to more information then I do. Appreciate the input.

johnmaloney

thanks John. You definetly know more then I do or have access to more information then I do. Appreciate the input.

access, I have so many field guides it is ridiculous. I think the only difference between the two is range. Probably some microscopic difference and some phycologist wanted to name a new species. 80% of algae are like that, look the same just different in some cell structure.

lcstorc

Add me to the list.
This is getting to be like Woodstock's Picassos. You have a waiting list. :)

tektite

That's the coolest macroalgae I've seen. I'd love to get some if there's a list :) Ever since your OP I've been checking every LFS I go to for anything close to it. Nada, of course. Very nice find.

johnmaloney

hey big jay - You were right, I was wrong. Both the Predaea and the Nemastoma are pantropical, the Predea has irregular branching the nemastoma dichotomous.