ID of this sweet macroalgae? (Pic)

Basile

I must agree if we are talking about the Nemastoma that is. If you can get that stuff John i want some.

Jeremy0322

Hey Jeremy, i'm jalous of your thread, all those responce, write something in mine i look needy LOl , write in My 65 slow.... what do you do to have so many, ...you pay them or what. LOl:wave:

I actually JUST stumbled across yours before I read this, how about that. It explained too why I wasnt on it, so sorry for that. My threads seem to be VERY chaotic, bouncing between one thing and the next. There were about 5 conversations taken from my 55 build and moved straight over to the 90 build, it was like 50 pages in 2 months or something, very very hard to keep up, but it was a blast. Anyways, you have reply on your thread, we can continue this over there.

Basile

I actually JUST stumbled across yours before I read this, how about that. It explained too why I wasnt on it, so sorry for that. My threads seem to be VERY chaotic, bouncing between one thing and the next. There were about 5 conversations taken from my 55 build and moved straight over to the 90 build, it was like 50 pages in 2 months or something, very very hard to keep up, but it was a blast. Anyways, you have reply on your thread, we can continue this over there.

Yep welcome to my world lol

SeahorseBT

Sorry for the delay on the nemastoma. I have encountered some problems keeping it attached. Even the mother colony is not very strongly attached. I am just not sure that it will stay attached if it gets thrown around by the ups guys.

So, I can't grantee that the algae will arrive attached to rock. If you would still like to me to send you some, then let me know. If you don't, notify me so I can move through the list.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
John what algae or post # are you taking about being mis-ID as a Predea and is a Sebdenia flabellata 100 %, which is found only in the waters off of Pacific Panama, Chile, Guadeloupe, West Indies. etc. area. You are not saying the Nemastoma ID, which seem to come foom Jakarta, is a Sebdenia flabellata, the algae Blake was trying to grow ?

tektite

Sorry for the hijack, but could this also be Sebdenia flabellata? I haven't been able to ID it yet. It looks very close to the Smithsonian pic. The only thing is I'm certain its from my liverock from the Gulf by Florida.

P1050988.jpg

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Yes, I would agree it is that, as it is also found in Florida and the Greater Antilles. The Greater Antilles is part of the West Indies ( see post above). There is a pic very similar to yours in Littler and Littler , page 109

johnmaloney

Predea, Sebdenia, and Nemastoma make an appearance in Florida, according to the Dawes book, and he is the algae God so to speak. In the Pacific there is Predea and Nemastoma species too, not sure about Sebdenia, never checked it out. I would have to look into that.