DianaKay's RSM 250

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Paul you always make me have no fear of any of the algae outbreaks. :)
My phosphates test by Hanna Checker at 0.08 & my nitrate level is still undetectable using API test.
I think the cyano started before I got enough flow going through the refugium.
I wasn't going to worry about it & just see if it would due out with the addition of more water flow. But it didn't & I am afraid it will start getting on my chaeto & red dragon's breath macro algae & kill them.
I think it's amazing that the same water runs through my DT & the cyano hasn't ever grown there.
Being that the sump/fuge hasn't had time to mature yet...I hope just doing what I've done will be enough to keep the red ugly under control until it does.
I do not want in I'm my main tank for sure!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
And other than film algae on the main DT glass, I'm not having any algae problems...a few diatoms on the sand bed and a pesky GBA spore every once in a while. I feed my fish everyday. I eat everyday so I feel bad if they don't.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
My 2 cents is that's it's not a nutrient issue if your main tank is fine. It's a circulation issue. With low circulation and lighting that's made for algae growth = cyano. I have 2 small power heads in mine.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My 2 cents is that's it's not a nutrient issue if your main tank is fine. It's a circulation issue. With low circulation and lighting that's made for algae growth = cyano. I have 2 small power heads in mine.
Thanks John! I was thinking about adding ANOTHER small powerhead for more water movement.
I'll go ahead and get one. I don't think my pods will mind the few days of darkness & if it gets the red cyano beat back I'll be happy too.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Paul do you have a guess... on what their "own unique process" is?

Boyd Chemiclean Red Slime Cyano Bacteria Remover Information

Cynobacteria is usually encouraged with the presence of nitrate and ammonia, which are both fixed forms of nitrogen. Chemi-clean helps clean and remove this problem algae through its own unique process. Most other red slime removers use purely antibiotics, namely erythromycin to take care of the algae. The use of such substances with in your aquarium can have disastrous effects upon your nitrifying bacteria and cause your tank to crash, killing the inhabitants of your aquarium.

Last edited:

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 to John, increase the flow through and around it a little bit :) You'll have it beat in no time! It's also, probably, due to the bacterial cultures setting themselves up within the sand and the fuge so there might be some unwanted growth while they mature. It's not getting to the display so at least you know it's nothing you're doing wrong :) Time and some preventative measures will do you wonders!!

How's everyone else in the tank going? And how's the monti going?? :) Haven't seen any recent photo's of your lovely tank *hint* *hint* :p

Paul B

Chemi Clean is an oxidizer like bleach or ozone and it will raise the ORP or oxidizing level. Red Slime remover is an antibiotic. But forget that.
Water flow has nothing to do with it as it grows the best on the ends of powerheads, but it is a nice rumor that people like to spread. I have seen it on pristine reefs in the Cayman Islands. It is a natural occurance and as long as it is not covering your corals just go and watch something you like on TV, but no reality shows as you are better than that. I have a little of it in my tank and it tells me that my tank is natural and in perfect health.
If it starts to cover corals in a mat, use Chemi Clean. I even wrote to the company telling them it is the only product that does what it is supposed to without doing anything else..
Diana, trust me, I have had a fish tank since last Tuesday, Monday night really. I would not stear you wrong. Don't believe all these rumors that are spread on fish sites when there is no real proof. If circulation would eliminate it, then there would be no cyano. It grows in my skimmer and there is no more circulation anywhere then in there. I like it, it is my friend. Forget about it. Have another cup of coffee. ;)

Paul B

Diana, see the red stuff on the substrait near the center. That is cyano and I love it. It matches my eyes. I will not eliminate it. It is normal. It will, and did disappear and form someplace else. As long as it doesn't grow on my head, I don't care.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Diana, I would have thought the cyno bacteria is throughout the whole system anyway, as its dormant in every system. The reason it chooses to grow in one spot is because of many factors like flow/ nutrient sink, even the media. I would look at it like this, the flow through the refugium is slow enough for the nutrients to sink out of suspension. Exactly what you want the fuge to do. Now it's a case of getting the nutrients used up by a competitor so the cyno get out competed. Also it may be a case of nitrates getting comsumed but phosphates are not so much. This is why cyno is able to beat all other competitors hands down as it can revert to drawing in nitrogen from the water to add to the phosphate it consumes.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/83315-als-red-sea-650-a.html[url]

ziggy

Diana, I would have thought the cyno bacteria is throughout the whole system anyway, as its dormant in every system. The reason it chooses to grow in one spot is because of many factors like flow/ nutrient sink, even the media. I would look at it like this, the flow through the refugium is slow enough for the nutrients to sink out of suspension. Exactly what you want the fuge to do. Now it's a case of getting the nutrients used up by a competitor so the cyno get out competed. Also it may be a case of nitrates getting comsumed but phosphates are not so much. This is why cyno is able to beat all other competitors hands down as it can revert to drawing in nitrogen from the water to add to the phosphate it consumes.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...315-als-red-sea-650-a.html[url][/QUOTE] +1

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
It does make sense to me that the bacteria has to be through out my entire system.
So it's best that it's only maturing out in the refugium and not pestering my corals in the DT.
The main reason I wanted a refugium was to grow macro-algae & pods to benefit my whole system.
I've ignored the red cyano so far because it was only on 2 walls to start with but it started showing up a little on the 3rd wall and sand bed. I read that it can grow to cover the macro algae & I'm not wanting that to happen.
It's new with a new 6" deep sand bed so I figure it's going to go through stages of algae & that's OK.
I'm going to see how LIGHTS OUT affects it. Kinda not a good thought that it might like the main DT better with no light in the fuge....NOPE, that won't be good :( My corals are just filling in real pretty.
Maybe I should just try keeping it manually controlled & turn the lights back on :ponder2::invisible

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
I'm no expert so please consider everything as well as my input.

Firstly Pual is right in that it isn't a drama, every tank has it and should have it. Although personally I think he would look slightly better with hair algae on his head than cyno if he ever did decided to change ones mind and go with that lol.

The thing is its there for a reason, now that we can confirm the fuge is doing its job ( being a place where you want to reduce nutrients and grow algae) this is a real positive confirmation. I would think the desire able algae would want that light on! And to add to that they are going to need food. So in my opinion I would feed the tank more to up the nitrates, maybe slack off the skimming a touch just to aid this and with all things being well the macro algae would start grow and out compete your cyno. Remember though its just what I would do, and I could well be wrong.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/83315-als-red-sea-650-a.html[url]

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Ok, so the light goes back ON this evening in my refugium & I'll put my macro algae back down there.
OH! I had a neat discovery as I shined a flashlight in fuge this morning....
A nice size Red Brittle Star...not huge but lots bigger than the little white micro-brittle stars.
Didn't get to see it very long as it hurried to the back side of the rock.
I had no idea that I had one :spinner:

Paul B

Mrsalt, I am surprised you recognized me as I have a new look. I now have a Mohawk, you can see that I let the hair on top of my head grow as long as it wants, but I shave the sides.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very much enjoying reading about your new sump adventures :) hope it is still going well

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks for stopping by & taking time to read about my sump/fuge addition Claire :)
It's coming along slowly (almost like cycling a new tank) and I'm enjoying the idea that I might soon have my own steady population of pods so that I can keep a Mandarin. That's my "dream fish" & the only fish that a "good" LFS back 18 years ago was kind enough to tell me "no" about buying ;)
I think I'm almost ready for one now :whstlr::thumbup:

ziggy

Thanks for stopping by & taking time to read about my sump/fuge addition Claire :)
It's coming along slowly (almost like cycling a new tank) and I'm enjoying the idea that I might soon have my own steady population of pods so that I can keep a Mandarin. That's my "dream fish" & the only fish that a "good" LFS back 18 years ago was kind enough to tell me "no" about buying ;)
I think I'm almost ready for one now :whstlr::thumbup:

Diana

Were the 2 pods purchases that you wrote about the only ones you did so far? DO you see more now in your DT?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hey Diana how about a new FTS!
I haven't added anything new Greg ;) but I guess some of my corals are growing.
You just want to make me have to get all the purple off my grass :yup:
Here's my favorite growth right now:
b806746fe56fbd76d1119f1b4f2c249f_zps40b43b82.jpg
[/IMG]
Started out with 4 polyps :D