DianaKay's RSM 250

Paul B

They aren't really much fun but I guess that's how life is in the world of pod growing.

They aren't much fun for you, but they are having a ball. Pods play all sorts of games. Pin the tail on the Pod, Tag, your the Pod, Ring around the Pod, Badmitton Pod, Hopscotch Pod,
Hide and go find the Pod, Ping Pod, Bowling for Pods, Shoots and Pods, etc. Look at them close and see if they are smiling
--------> .,.,..,. <--------- The girls have on the long dreses.

scott7975

I am new here and also new to the SW world. Thank you so much for this thread Diana. I was doing a search for info and happened upon it and spent the entire day reading every single post in this thread. It was fantastic. I felt like I lived my dream through reading yours. Been wanting to start a SW for years now. I am still a couple months away, but this thread has encouraged me to go forward. I plan to buy the same tank around March. There is so much valuable information here and I cannot wait to absorb more of it. One day, I hope to start a thread similar to yours and have the same success.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Scott,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

When you get your tank, start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Toolman

Thanks nanoreefing4fun. I didnt know RSM had these mod options available. Is there a site that lists all of the gear for the RSM 250 thats available?
I read back through the last few posts and couldnt stop! Really inteesting thread!
I have Pods running amok in my tank that came in on my rock. I've had a green manadarin for 5 months now and taught it to eat frozen brine shrimp. Sometimes it even goes head to head with my clowns and goby for garlic pellets, its quite a PIG!

Don't know if you have seen this... but if not I wanted to show you, if you every put the chiller in the cabinet

RSM Cabinet Ventilation Kit

ziggy

Thanks nanoreefing4fun. I didnt know RSM had these mod options available. Is there a site that lists all of the gear for the RSM 250 thats available?
I read back through the last few posts and couldnt stop! Really inteesting thread!
I have Pods running amok in my tank that came in on my rock. I've had a green manadarin for 5 months now and taught it to eat frozen brine shrimp. Sometimes it even goes head to head with my clowns and goby for garlic pellets, its quite a PIG!

You should start a thread on how you taught your mandarin to eat frozen
A ton of folks would be interested

Paul B

You should start a thread on how you taught your mandarin to eat frozen

If they get healthy enough eating pods, they will eventually eat anything small.

I've had a green manadarin for 5 months now and taught it to eat frozen brine shrimp.
I taught mine to play the piano, but he is not very good as it takes him to long to jump from key to key.

ziggy

If they get healthy enough eating pods, they will eventually eat anything small.

Paul

DO you think with a shrimp in the DT the pod population in their can multiply for a mandarin?
Diana has tons of pods in the refug but can't see much in the DT, even with adding 1000.

Paul B

What does the shrimp have to do with pod production? I am old and confused.
If the pods are in the refug, they are also in the tank, and every place else. Pods are not particular as to where they stay. I have an auto feeder on my tank that dumps in some pellets and flakes, that is not for the fish, but for the pods. If you feed them, they will come. There is a movie with almost the same name.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The refugium is causing me a little StRESs with red cyano. I have water made up to scrape it off the sides of my refugium tomorrow & give a try at sucking it all out with my WC. I'm hope I don't suck out too many pods while I'm trying to end the cyano :(
I really was thinking that the cyano was just because I added a whole new sump/refugium with an additional 6"deep new sand bed. I know new "stuff" added can cause outbreaks. My water circulation should be sufficient, IMO.

My concern with the shrimp is only that there may be too much aggressive competition with them eating too many pods & not leaving enough for a Mandarin to survive on even with me trying to make sure some pods are getting from the refugium to the main tank. Especially with TWO cleaner shrimps. I'll give more time to see if I see more pods. I really do want a Mandarin in my tank but I can't stand the thought of it being hungry or starving to death.
There was a time that I know I had plenty of pods but I just don't see many these days.
I'll work on the fuge tomorrow & feed them little guys more. I've been trying not to feed much because of the cyano looking worse. :( seems like I can't win for losing :(

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
What does the shrimp have to do with pod production? I am old and confused.
If the pods are in the refug, they are also in the tank, and every place else. Pods are not particular as to where they stay. I have an auto feeder on my tank that dumps in some pellets and flakes, that is not for the fish, but for the pods. If you feed them, they will come. There is a movie with almost the same name.

Paul, you always make me smile (sometimes LOL :LOL:) and you give me hope...THANKS for that!! ;)

orieng

Hey Diana, I think it is time you upgrade to the S Series. I have my tank for two weeks now and I absolutely love it. It is miles ahead of the RSM 250 which I had for 3 years. And by the way your learning process is over. You are a new master of reef keeping. Keep up the good work.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Orieng, I kinda wish I had room in my living-room for a bigger tank. Then at WC change time, I know it's as big as I want really. Back 20 years ago, I had a 65 gal. show tank & upgraded to a 135 gal w/sump. The 135 was too much work & when I moved here, the room wouldn't hold it. They were both FOWLR.
I like my RSM 250 & now with a refugium, it's a keeper. :D

Here's a new picture of my "freebie coral" it has finally grown to cover the frag plug. I guess they grow really slow...It only had 3 spots on it when I got it....still haven't figured out if I like it or not :yup:
e5f3bf3b531c45e4ac1c4968800e6f9e_zps28a8ec90.jpg
[/IMG]

Lumen

Wow, your tank has really come a long way since I last saw it, I love the mods you added! The LEDs really make the colours pop! Hopefully your sump sorts it cyano problem out soon! :yup:

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 ^ if you don't like it, I'm just down the road :) It's cool how the new mouths are different colors.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Made a trip up to my favorite Arkansas fish store yesterday. First trip ever that I didn't spend any money :yup:
Was really in the mood to find a few wanted corals & was hoping they'd have a fat little Mandarin. Nope :( they didn't hardly have anything :(
I needed to get rid of a large GSP because I don't have room for fragging & have 4 in my tank.
Anyway, I traded this
cf333ddd28231bb61a8b1d808cde4b34_zpsc578aaa1.jpg
[/IMG]
FOR THIS:
ef33bf671a1cf36f838073658e61ee02_zps212efa54.jpg
[/IMG]
The Monti-Cap (I hope that's what it is :ponder2:) is supposed to be bright purple. According to the guy working at the fish store: It will get it's color back under good lighting. That's what he said.
It didn't cost me anything as he allowed me an even trade for the GSP. So I guess I'll just be waiting to see if it colors back up or fades & dies. I have a red/orange one, now I need to find a bright green one if these do OK in my tank.

Last edited: