Search results

1. Chris3859

Pictures of my reef

I am a terrible camera man, and I had just messed in the tank so some of the corals were not fully open. Hope you enjoy! And yes, my nosey yellow tang made himself known in just about every pic.
  2. Chris3859

Just a few fuzzy evening pics

I was bored. The actinics were on and everything looked pretty. Sorry that I lack photography skills.... I got this sebae from Petco. They thought it was dead and were about to throw it away. I got it and started feeding it fresh shrimp that I enriched daily then every other day. It was...
  3. Chris3859

Couple of Questions

I have a couple of general questions. 1) I have a yellow polyp colony that is fairly close to my pulsating xenias (within about 1"). This is the way I bought the rock. My water flow causes the polyps to touch the xenia when the polyps are fully extended. Will the polyps sting my xenia...
  4. Chris3859

Going from 55 to 75

Well...I fugured that setting this tank up and moving everything over to the new 75g would take at least a few days. However, everything went together so well that it only took 2 days to complete the move. It all started with a 1 1/2 hour drive to northwest Houston. I drive an Expedition...
  5. Chris3859

The infamous substrate question

OK...the chronicle starts Saturday. In the old tank, I am using Carib Sea LS. It's ok, but Goby keeps the sand in the water column more than on the tank bottom. Aragonite (good CaCO3 buffer), crushed coral (why do people hate this so much) or more Carib Sea. Chime in guys and help me decide...
  6. Chris3859

I made out like a bandit!!

Ok, so some of you know that I took down my 40g african cichlid tank and was going to build that tank into a reef. But, searching the classifieds and forums for equipment for this tank lead me to this: 1. oceanic 75g rr tank 2 oceanic 75g nice solid wood stand 3. light setup currently has...
  7. Chris3859

Good bye Lake Malawi

It is so sad to me, and uplifting at the same time, that I feel I should share this with anyone who cares to listen. After nearly 15 years of keep, breeding and hand feeding Lake Malawi African Cichlids, it comes to my attention that I have an addiction to SW tanks. As of tomorrow, my 40 tall...
  8. Chris3859

how much LR in my sump

So, i got the sump set up, but how much LR should I put in it. Should I put as much as I can or what? I can put a total of 2.5 gallons of biological media (LR), right know it is half full. Also, should I adjust the water to completely cover the LR or cover it with water halfway and let the...
  9. Chris3859

Caught my snails in the act

Well, I can not believe that my new tank is a breeding ground, but my cerith snails have decided to make a go for a family. By the size of the twisting line of eggs all over the side of my tank, they are having 500 girls and 500 boys..LOL
  10. Chris3859

Got a sump!!

Just thought I would let everyone know that I got rid of my Rena xp3 cannister and got a brand spankin' new Pro Clear Pro75. I just got it up and running and will be going to my friends' house tomorrow for some matured LR to place in the sump. My tank seems so empty without the heaters and...
  11. Chris3859

Daisy-Chaining Canister Filters

I got a second Rena xp3 from a buddy of mine for free. The wheels started spinning. Has anyone ever connected two canister filters together and had it work? I was think of filling one with the mechanical filtration and the other full of biomax.
  12. Chris3859

Diamond Goby

Thought I would let everyone know what this little freak did. Well, my little buddy apparently likes his new home. After destroying my nice sand bed and me leveling it back out....twice...he finally found a home. It was under a nice piece of Fiji that made a shallow arch under the sand. He...
  13. Chris3859

Snails and Gobies

Well, the Diatoms in my tank seem to be going away...little by little. But, I am tired of looking at it. I called my LFS and explained the problem. They told me to pull a mid level water sample and bring it in for testing. Everything was perfect! All bad chems were 0, Ph 8.3 Salinity...
  14. Chris3859

Hello...hating life during new tank cycling

First....hello to everyone. I am new to the saltwater world, but not a new aquarist. I have had a 40 tall Oceanic African cichlid tank off and on for 15 years. The only time I didn't have it was for a 4 year tour in the Marine Corps. I just started a 55+ saltwater tank last Friday. It is...