Snails and Gobies

Chris3859

Well, the Diatoms in my tank seem to be going away...little by little. But, I am tired of looking at it. I called my LFS and explained the problem. They told me to pull a mid level water sample and bring it in for testing.

Everything was perfect! All bad chems were 0, Ph 8.3 Salinity 1.023. Cool. I told him that I was tired of the Diatoms, but that they were going away. He suggested a few different species of snails. I bought 4 conch(es) and 2 turbos.

Then he said the unthinkable. "You could get Diamond Goby to help sift the sand." I took a look a several he had. So so cute they are! I new I should not have bought one this soon, but there he sat...floating in a little bag being dripped with my aquarium water.

The snails went straight to the bottom, eating everything they could...cutting holes through the remaining Diatoms. Perfect!

The Goby also went to the bottom...and hid. I hope to see him in a few days!! I know they can be hard to keep properly fed. Any suggestions on how to stuff this little guy full every day?

Last edited:

CMG

Your diatom bloom doesnt have to do with the water conditions you mentioned. Its just part of the cycle of a new tank. Mine just went away about a month ago. The snails help a lot!! Use a turkey bastor to feed the goby. When you squeeze it do it gently so as not to scare him away with a blast of water. Once he gets used to that being recognized as food he may even actually "attack" it. Maybe not though, just depends, just a like a person.

framerguy

I see in your sig you "started" the tank a week ago. Does that mean your cycle ended a week ago, or it started a week ago?

Chris3859

The tank was set up a week ago using live rocks and live sand from another's sw tank.

10-4 on the goby. I just bought a 30" long glass tube with a rubber bulb on the end. I got it at a craft store for a few bucks and should work to feed the little sucker some frozen brine. I might wait a day or two to let him chill out before feeding.

I know a week is still early, but with the mature live rock and sand, and the water chemistry being perfect, I guess the LFS owner figured a Goby would be ok. I am sceptical, but we shall see. I love this little dude so I am going to baby him and the aquarium until I feel comfortable with it.

GSELLERS

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well thats why the bloom happened, the tank is very very very new....a week old tank even with established sand and rock will still throw a cycle....you might want to rethink livestock for a bit...another small cycle might creep up on you.

Chris3859

Point well taken Gsellers. I am going to daily monitor and have 25 gallons of RO/DI pre-mix on standby. Fingers crossed everyone.