Diamond Goby

Chris3859

Thought I would let everyone know what this little freak did.

Well, my little buddy apparently likes his new home. After destroying my nice sand bed and me leveling it back out....twice...he finally found a home. It was under a nice piece of Fiji that made a shallow arch under the sand. He fortified the entire area with a sand cover that goes up the rock about 2 inches all around. Then he placed some shells he found near his entrance. Kinda looks like a mailbox or something! He made a 1 inch entrance to his fort.

He spends much of his day hiding and likes to come out when just the actinic lights are on in the dawn and dusk. He also likes frozen brine shrimp delivered about 2 inches from his front door.

He has quite the personality!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:laughroll Isn't reefing fun! Just imagine what's going on at the bottom of the ocean's reefs!

Chris3859

It must be something under the deep blue. Hey, I found something else out. He has cleared out the bottom of his fort to the bare glass. I can now open the cabinet and look up at him. It's kinda cool to watch him in his den. And he seems to know when I am looking at him through the bottom 'cause he angles his head to look at me.

Tru2nr

thats aweome i love those diamond goby's i've heard they don't have a high survival rate which is why i haven't gotten one yet how long have you had em

Chris3859

I have had him for a little over a week. I hand feed him twice daily. I have a long bulb feeder that is made by Kent. I use frozen brine shrimp and a krill algae combo. He eats off the bulb feeder first, then I squirt some of the mix into the sand near his den so he can feed later. He likes eating from the bulb feeder and often attacks it as soon as I introduce it into the water! Everything I have read says they are very hardy, but often slowly starve to death because they need so much food. And boy does he like to eat! I know when he is full because his small stomach makes a big bulb shape. I will report more findings as I watch him and learn more about him.

Chris3859

I am going to try and shoot a video of this little freak eating. It is so funny. I forgot to mention, A cerith snail crawled too close to his den. Goby flipped him over on his back and attempted to eat him. I was not impressed. I got my feeder bulb and moved him to the other side of the tank. The Goby swam over there and started spitting sand on him. He is such a baby!

mosdojaf

My goby has done the same, under a huge piece of base rock, the entrance is flanked by yellow polyps and a double headed hammer coral.

raleej337

i've had a diamond goby for three months until i moved it to a bigger tank and maybe got confused jump out and found it under the tank stand after 2 weeks. well got a new one and been sifting the sand everyday. loves to eat mysis shrimp. of course like the rest of its kind, did its own sandscaping without consulting me first. well it is its domain and i am just the keeper so what can i do.

Varga

I've had mine for almost a year. hes been in the same hole since day 1.

he closes the openning at dusk and squeezes hiself in there, and closes it a little more from the inside. interesting fish to watch

Chris3859

Mine never closed his hole until I added Fiji premium. I put a nice corraline encrusted rock right on the sand. I swear....60 seconds later, he exited his old home, filled it with sand and moved in under the Fiji. He now closes his hole up every night. He is the coolest fish I have ever seen. I just wish he would not silt the tank up.

Snelly40

im getting one this afternoon !
I was thinking about it this morning and came on here to see threads and its fate, this was on the homepage!!!

Chris3859

You will love them...just make sure you feed them everyday. They often slowly starve to death in a home aquarium because they have to eat eat eat. I absolutely love mine.

The orange spotted diamond goby was the first fish my husband and I bought for the 29 Gallon bio-cube. From what you're saying, he's doing exactly what he should be doing. He'll settle in after awhile and decides where the best place is for him.

Here's a small video I put together of "Sifty" when we first got him. Needless to say, he's much bigger and fatter now too. LOL

MySpaceTV Videos: First Fishy "Addition" by LynDen Studios

Cavinca

yeah i have 2 of them... my tank was a sandstorm for weeks. everybody loved it though. feeder tentacles out and everybody open. these guys are awesome.. they pic up my snails and spit them away from there burrow. i think they buried my sea hair too :( needless to say ive been running MAD carbon and havent seen a Ammonia spike in the month its been missing.. :shrug:

Chris3859

Thanks Craig for mentioning that...LOL I am so sorry, but work has been taking its toll on me. We had a major shut down and I have been working 12 and 18 hour shifts for weeks now. This is my first weekend off in over a month so I guess I do not have an excuse for not posting a video!