Going from 55 to 75

Chris3859

Well...I fugured that setting this tank up and moving everything over to the new 75g would take at least a few days. However, everything went together so well that it only took 2 days to complete the move.

It all started with a 1 1/2 hour drive to northwest Houston. I drive an Expedition that is lifted so loading everything proved to be a challenge. The big items were the tank, stand, MH lighting, frag tank and its stand. There was no room left once we were done loading.

S4021070.jpg

I decided to put the tank in my bedroom centered in front of my bed. Once the tank stand was in place, The cleaning started. The tank and equipment were filthy and took a ton of bleach and rinsing. About three hours worth.

The plumbing was next. The entire system was complete so I needed to buy nothing for installation. It all went together in about an hour.

S4021074.jpg

The hardest part was moving fish and LR out of the old tank. What little coral I had was taken to a friend's established frag tank for storage while my new tank mini cycles. My fish were placed in the Qt tank. Needless to say none were happy, and Goby was livid. He kept his fins in the up right and locked position and his mouth wide open for an hour! I used the water from the 55 to fill up most of the 75 and then used an additional 40 gallons of RO/DI and Red Sea reef salt.

S4021075.jpg

After filling the tank, I turned everything on and checked for leaks. Everything ran over night. The next morning, I tested the water and drip/floated the fish.

S4021076.jpg

I still have a few things to do, and the MH lighting is not installed yet. i am going to be replacing the bulbs before I set it up. I am also thinking of setting up the frag tank in an adjacent walk in closet out of sight and including it in the display tank plumbing. I need to purchase some more LR as well. It was wonderful sitting in bed last night and enjoying the tank. More to come...

S4021078.jpg

tbittner

That is an AWESOME looking setup! Your rock is really cool! What kind is it?

And for your future upgrade (don't laugh, you know you will :lol:) don't use bleach, use vinegar instead. It works just as well and it won't kill your animals if it's not rinsed out thoroughly.

Chris3859

It's Totoka, It is my absolute favorite type of live rock. Very porous and it interlocks with itself so you don't need many zip ties or expoxy. I have found it difficult to find this stuff without ordering it. I have already paid for another 50 pounds that is curing at the LFS. It has more coralline growth and seems to be a little bit better quality then what I have already.

I tried the vinegar! I'm telling ya...this thing was nasty. i wouldn't have put a roach in it. Don't worry though...the tank was rinsed many times and a final dechlorinator/rinse was done. No bleach could be smelt on any of the surfaces.

Chris3859

Thanks Jeff. I think I will add more live rock to the left side where the overflow is and have it slope down to the sand on the right side. Also, I got a PM about the tank backing.

The back of the tank is not painted. It came factory tinted from Oceanic. Once I bundle the lighting wires and UV return together, I will move them to the right corner of the tank where they should disappear into the tinting.

KimPossible

Looks great Chris, that LR is the bomb,it looks a lot like kolini. I think I'm going to the LFS and add some more rock to my set up. You inspired me :D

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Yeah, nice aerodynamic design to that LR ramp. Should be able to get a nice wave off of that with that Korallia pump! Congratulations! Looking good!

Chris3859

Scott, I just realized that it does look like a giant ramp! I swear though, the image is only 2D. The front part of my little LR ramp extends to the front of the tank. Kind of an "L" shape if you will. I'm sure the snails could most def. get some hang time coming off the top of it though!!

tbittner

Scott, I just realized that it does look like a giant ramp! I swear though, the image is only 2D. The front part of my little LR ramp extends to the front of the tank. Kind of an "L" shape if you will. I'm sure the snails could most def. get some hang time coming off the top of it though!!

:LOL:

Chris3859

Well...the water tests have proven to be excellent, so I went and got one of my leathers from my buddies house and added it today. Here is what he looks like....

S4021083.jpg

And the full tank shot...

S4021088.jpg

Oh....and I found a stupid aiptasia that I am going to juice tomorrow.

Chris3859

Neagatory Ghost Rider! Mine, mine all mine! The LFS does have about 60lbs of fully cured rock left with some orange and lime green coralline if you would like me to package it and air freight it to you. I put some Fiji premium in there to help seed the coralline on the totoka. I was just going to scrape some off because the totoka was seriously lacking with purple, but the fiji that i got was so pretty and aboundant with life that I decided to put it in. My goby made a b-line for the fiji and made a new home under one of the rocks.

Chris3859

Well...I woke up this morning to pods and baby snails all over the place. I also found something unusual. There is something on the back of one of my large base rocks that is randomly emitting a quater sized cloud of some kind of particulate. It looks chemical in nature and is not substrate. Any ideas?

Chris3859

I have tried taking pictures, and I suck at it..LOL!! They are always fuzzy and all. Anyway, I am thinking it is a release of spores or sperm or something like that too. I checked water chemistry and everything is good. So, I guess I will just forget about it.