Zoo eating nudis

Blndbunny

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of these pests :verymad: I got home from a business trip last night and all three ofvmy zoo colonies were closed up. Upon closer inspection I found three of these little buggers on them last night. I pulled them all out and did a 10 min fresh water dip and got another 4 out that way. This morning I pulled three more :grr: I just want my happy pretty zoas back

mbdave

Man those little guys are a pain. I just picked them out back in the day when I kept zooanthids. I believe the FW dip might help also.
Good luck,
Dave

GrendelPrime

fw dip works well but u need to do it a few times to make sure u kill any that might hatch from eggs, fresh water will kill the adults but not the eggs

Blndbunny

Ok I will keep picking them out as I see them and dip them regularly. How often and how long do you reccomend. I read that their eggs can hatch in three to four days when I was doing a bit or research

I have the same thing in my tank.... dips and good old elbow grece..... do the job... but i think a 6 line wrasse will help a lil bit....do you have any pics of your tanks and zoas????

Blndbunny

My tank is too small for a 6 line. It's only 14g. I can put up a shot of them open but I haven't taken any dice they have closed. Just glad I saw the little buggers

IamELMO

I had them and just removed as I saw them. It took a few months of constant vigilance. Are they the ones with things on their back? I had these and managed to rid myself of them, so it can be done.

aeolidnudibranch.jpg

Blndbunny

Those look a lot like what I'm pulling out, mine are a smudge more purple but only barley, no wonders I didn't see them when they are open. Doing another 10-15 dip right now

IamELMO

Possibly a smudge more purple if they are eating purple zoo's? I know they store the poison from what they eat, perhaps they also store the colour? Hmmm

Blndbunny

Well I'm finally seeing success in this battle. Spent the beginning of the week removing multiple ones everyday, and seeing them die in freshwater dips. Over the weekend I actually had a couple days of finding none! Had one appear on the glass last night, and he was quickly removed and placed in his watery grave

Today I have one colony almost fully open, only 4 are closed. The second colony is about 50% open, and my colony that I was certain wasn't gonna make it has 5 zoas open today! I know it's just a small success and that I need to keep up with treatments for awhile yet, but I'm seeing progress

OHmariner

Well I'm finally seeing success in this battle. Spent the beginning of the week removing multiple ones everyday, and seeing them die in freshwater dips. Over the weekend I actually had a couple days of finding none! Had one appear on the glass last night, and he was quickly removed and placed in his watery grave

Today I have one colony almost fully open, only 4 are closed. The second colony is about 50% open, and my colony that I was certain wasn't gonna make it has 5 zoas open today! I know it's just a small success and that I need to keep up with treatments for awhile yet, but I'm seeing progress

Do you have any idea how you got them? did you recently add a new coral or anything? And anyone chime in on this one, are these things ushually visible in the tanks at aquarium stores if you are buying new corals or are they ushually in egg form and you won't see them until it is too late?