Zoas Make Me Sick

Melanie

I was doing a water change and tank cleaning this morning. I knocked over my mother colony of zoas and without thinking I grabbed it with my bare hand. I cursed a little and put it back and finished siphoning. About 20 min. later I remembered because my hand started tingling. I thoroughly washed my hands.

Now I don't feel well. I don't know if it's psychosomatic or what. My chest feels tight and I feel dizzy and my face feels kinda numb. This could all be in my head but I told my husband what I did and touched in case something happens.

Gina

RS STAFF
If you think you may be getting sick whether it's in your head or not, I would go to the Emergency room at your nearest hospital and see someone just in case!

goldenmean

Melanie maybe you should go too your ER if you are not feeling better.
Better safe than sorry.
That being said, I do touch mine with my bare hands on occassion.
I am always careful not to squeeze or press on them to hard where I might rupture one of the polyps.
Do you have a fresh cut or sore on your hand where the toxins could easily enter your system?

caitrina

Melanie...........symptoms......tightness in chest and dizziness...not a good sign......numbness in face not that great either, but those sound like they are nothing to fool around with.........

even a anxiety attack can give off those symptoms, but so can REALLY serious things and I would go to ER...SERIOUSLY.............nothing to fool around with

Hypertek99

Do you have any cuts on your hands??? My tank is full of Zoanthids and Palys and i touch them all the time with no problems. I even squish them when i try to clean algae off them. But i never mess with them if i have a open cut as the Paly toxins can be deadly. I also frag them all the time with no problems make sure to use goggles when you frag them don't want them to squirt you in the eye. I would go get it checked out if you think it's not just in you head thing but most doctors won't be able to help much as they won't even know what palytoxins are. I would print out a page on the web about zoanthids and paly toxins and bring it with you to the doctors if you are going to go get checked out.

DrHank

I think that a trip to the ER is probably a good idea. They can monitor heart rate and rhythm, pulmonary function, as well as neurological response. You can't. Just make sure to let them know what you were diong before this happened.

Melanie

Well, I laid down and rested and I feel a lot better. Must have been all in my head.
Thank you guys for caring.

FYI: I do not have open wounds on my hands.

Melanie

Melanie...........symptoms......tightness in chest and dizziness...not a good sign......numbness in face not that great either, but those sound like they are nothing to fool around with.........

even a anxiety attack can give off those symptoms, but so can REALLY serious things and I would go to ER...SERIOUSLY.............nothing to fool around with

Maybe it was anxiety?

caitrina

glad you are feeling better .I used to get some really WICKED anxiety attacks but any chest pain, tightness, dizziness and numbness symptoms should really be left to the ER, they have all the gadgets to monitor and assess the situation. Might not be a bad idea to get it checked anyway....SERIOUSLY!

kyle1284

i think all this zoa posin talk got to ur head .... lol i touch my zoas almost 3 times a week because of my damn crabs knockin them over.... just wash my hands afterwards... no worries :)

Gina

RS STAFF
I think I would mention what happened to my doctor next time you see him which, I feel should be soon.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think you did get poisoned from them and you just dealt with it. It happens to me also when i handle certain corals. Try working with gloves on from now on. I use a plastic bag over my hand and arm when in the tank these days. I found it works well.
You don't need an open wound to get poisoned from things. Your sin absorbs it just as easy.

Fish Crazy

I use the full length gloves that go all the way up my arm that you can get at Dr. foster and smith when I work in the tank it might be worth checking out

reefmaster42024

Glad you are OK. My wife always freaks out when I'm messing with my zoas and palys because I told her how dangerous they can be. Some can be deadly if the toxins enter your bloodstream through cuts, etc. I read an article about a guy's dog that died when it came in contact with some palys he had in a bucket. Some actually possess some of the most potent toxins on earth, you really need to be careful.

lcstorc

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Next time go straight to the ER if you have symptoms like that. It is much better to be safe than sorry. There are many dangers in our tanks and if you happen to be alergic they are even worse.
If there is a next time please go.

CATALYST

You might try a benadryl...I'm allergic to so many things I keep it on hand. It's helped so many times.