Zoas Covered With White Mold

no1bubba

Over night.......last night I was conserned that some were not opening up but I though it was due to the byprosis that has started up again.
This afternoon I found two area that were covered with white mold. This mold was on some of the zoas that were not opening.
Mag 1420
Iodine 0.06
calc 418 salinity a little low but raising it every morning.
Stron 0
KH/ 7.4 Alk 2.63
Calcium 425
nITRATE 0
Phosphate 0.25
PH 8
Everything looks good.

Sure could use some help. Thanks in advance, Bubba

no1bubba

There are no dots, this white slime covers the entire zoa.And appears to stay within the center or along the side of the colony.
Thanks for answering. Bubba

yvr

If you haven't already, you can try giving the zooanthids a bath with an Iodine solution like TM Pro Coral Cure or similar product. The iodine will act as an antiseptic and hopefully kill prevent the spread of the tissue necrosis. I also think that zooanthids benefit from elevated iodine levels in the tank at around .06ppm. Be sure to test for supplements that you add to your tank.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
i have the same issue now, white slime on zoa over night....

I don't know what is causing your zoa troubles but a picture might help to identify it.
I'd pull the zoas out (if you can) and dip them in Coral RX. Unless someone else knows what's going on.
Have you tried to siphon it off? How many zoas are affected?

Edit: this is a really old thread so you may not hear back from other previous posters.

I don't know what is causing your zoa troubles but a picture might help to identify it.
I'd pull the zoas out (if you can) and dip them in Coral RX. Unless someone else knows what's going on.
Have you tried to siphon it off? How many zoas are affected?

Edit: this is a really old thread so you may not hear back from other previous posters.

8a2u8e5u.jpg

I used a soft brush to brush it off and rinse it under tank water. There are just two frag out of 20 frags. But has to be something wrong

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Be very careful with slime covering zoas. They could be releasing palytoxins and I'll just ditch the frag. Not worth the danger to rescue them.

Be very careful with slime covering zoas. They could be releasing palytoxins and I'll just ditch the frag. Not worth the danger to rescue them.

Yea I already throw three frags away, glad that they are the regular pink ones not exotic. But I'm also not wanting to take the risk so put them back in old system cuz they might spread or something

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This thread prompted me to pry a glued frag of zoas (used to be pretty pink ones) up and dip them in Coral RX today. They haven't been opening and it seems like they are shrinking in number. So I gave them a bath in Coral RX. Hope it makes a positive difference. Can't hurt to try was my thought. I have not seen any Nudibranch activity & no bugs of any kind came off in the dip water. Time will tell :time:

anthony27

It sounds like a bacterial infection, Revive can kill the bacteria off the zoas. Also check for spiders as well, idk if they are killed with the dip.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
When zoas slime over like that the best way to save them in to put them right in front of a powerhead. That will prevent the slime from forming on them and can save them.

that was the thing I was worried, will that thing spread out to other corals while got flow?
When zoas slime over like that the best way to save them in to put them right in front of a powerhead. That will prevent the slime from forming on them and can save them.

yea, thanks, I dont have any activity of those yet. I already throwed away the three frags got slime on it. Seems that half of the reason of this is caused by my frag skill. These ones were dricetly fraged off from a rock instead of cutting off the rock with the zoa on them....
It sounds like a bacterial infection, Revive can kill the bacteria off the zoas. Also check for spiders as well, idk if they are killed with the dip.

awesome, most of my zoa are open today in my frag tank now. do you still think I should dip all the rest or I may leave them some peace.
I also have 0.25 ammonia in the frag tank, would you recommend do waterchange with old system or new salt water?
thanks for the reply
This thread prompted me to pry a glued frag of zoas (used to be pretty pink ones) up and dip them in Coral RX today. They haven't been opening and it seems like they are shrinking in number. So I gave them a bath in Coral RX. Hope it makes a positive difference. Can't hurt to try was my thought. I have not seen any Nudibranch activity & no bugs of any kind came off in the dip water. Time will tell :time:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
With an ammonia reading of any kind something is not good. Either your test kit is OFF (reading wrong) or your tank hasn't cycled properly or you're have some die off of something in the tank. What test kit are you using?
Really need more specifics to know what the problem is.
"The solution to pollution is dilution" ....You should do a water change with new salt water.
Test for nitrites as well. How long has this frag tank been running? How many gallons is it? What are you using as your source of good bactria growth? Do you have enough water flow? Looks like I see a cyano purplish look but I can't be for sure from your picture also.
You just shouldn't be seeing a ammonia reading after the tank is cycled. Ammonia is poison to tank life. Maybe someone else can give advice also. In the mean time, keep a very close watch on the ammonia level...you need to get it down to zero or remove your frags if it goes up any.
(Note to anyone else offering help to Michaelis88....the currant issues begin on post #5 of this thread.)

my old tank is Red sea max 250------------------------------------10g frag tank
6 T5 bulbs ------------------------------------------------------------ 1 par led 38bulb with 24 watts (6blue,2white, 1red, 1yellow,2UV?) is hanging 20inch from the top
nitrate 0--------------------------------------------------------------- The water is from the big tank,one big live rock,one small power head and one aqua clear filter
phosphate 0-----------------------------------------------------------one clown fish but feeding 4 tiny mysis shrimp per day
kh 7.5
ca 420
ph 7.9-8.1
Temp 23-25C
Ammo 0.25 nitrate and nitrite are 0
All reading from API test kit, I know pho and nitrate cant be 0 but should be slightly off cuz the test kit isnt that good, at least its from my reading
With an ammonia reading of any kind something is not good. Either your test kit is OFF (reading wrong) or your tank hasn't cycled properly or you're have some die off of something in the tank. What test kit are you using?
Really need more specifics to know what the problem is.
"The solution to pollution is dilution" ....You should do a water change with new salt water.
Test for nitrites as well. How long has this frag tank been running? How many gallons is it? What are you using as your source of good bactria growth? Do you have enough water flow? Looks like I see a cyano purplish look but I can't be for sure from your picture also.
You just shouldn't be seeing a ammonia reading after the tank is cycled. Ammonia is poison to tank life. Maybe someone else can give advice also. In the mean time, keep a very close watch on the ammonia level...you need to get it down to zero or remove your frags if it goes up any.
(Note to anyone else offering help to Michaelis88....the currant issues begin on post #5 of this thread.)

sad, i didnt even let my tank cycled. my friend told me by using the old tank water will give a jump start without cycling the tank, at least that what he did.
my frag tank has been a little more than 1 week, and done a water change with tank water 2 days, ago. Im going to do a water change with new salt water tonight.
Nothing yet is dying expect the zoa? There is one clown fish in there with a 5-6pounds of live rock that has some zoa on it.
I do have little brown algae now growing on the sand bed, might be cyano.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I have seen .25 ammonia readings from API tests before and they are nto accurate. One way to do it is to test a freshly mixed batch and if you still read .25 well then you know its an error.

I use the salifert test, mush easier to read IMO.