Zoanthid propagation system

dafunk5446

Hello I love zoanthids....way to much. I want to really start growing alot of them. My plan is to use 6 10 gallon tanks or 4 20 gallon longs, and a 55 gallon sump/fuge/more zoa room. I will make a stand so they can all be stack over top of each other. I will then drill holes for overflows in all the tanks. Then have either 2 or 3 vho bulbs over each shelf. Then use a closed loop kinda manifold for the return. On the zoa side of the 55 I will use a spray bar, and a single pvc return to the skimmer/ heater side. I will also have a divider in all the zoa tanks, just to keep them somewhat separated. I also would be using live rock rubble for the zoa's to grow onto. Maybe 2-4 morphs per tank. Let me know if you think it will work.

Attachments

• zoa grow out.JPG
    zoa grow out.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 105

Triggerjay

If you want independent cubes for the zoas, I have seen some of the fish tank wall display units like they have at wal-mart on ebay before.. That would be sweet for zoas..

Jason

dafunk5446

how big are they? that might work well. If they wouldnt work I am sure I will be able to keep them under control by moving them around so they dont grow into each other.

Triggerjay

they are pretty big. I think the "cubes" are about the size of a 20g..There is usually 8 or so of them.

Jason

dafunk5446

Thanks geewizz, I will have to check out those other ones. What do you guys think of the overall plan though, any ideas to make it work better?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I have seen those "walmart" systems for sale and they were like $10k but for a LOT of tanks and all the equipment.

Allen

kyle1284

would u ever think about t5s? less energy used and longer life outta the bulbs.... personally i have had more zoa groth outta t5's than PC's

dafunk5446

I am kinda thinking about t-5s, but I have no experience with them. I was just happy with vho's on my other tanks, and the zoas seemed to love them. I was also thinking about the reflectors costing a lot more them one for vho's. If I were going to get t-5s, how many would you suggest?

nasek718

I'm pretty sure the systems at Wal-Mart and PetCo etc. are called Mars Systems. These things are very expensive.

dafunk5446

yeah not wanting to spend thousands, and if you ask me those systems arent worth the time. You could build a much better system for a lot less! This whole system will be home made. Diy every thing.

tjk72

You may consider how tall the system would end up being. If too tall to reach into the top tanks you'll have to use a step ladder. If that's no big deal than go for it. I just bought a Nova extreme T5 light system. Still in process of tinkering.

dafunk5446

Yeah I am planning on it being fairly tall. Top tanks a little above eye level. My buddy is a welder so I just have to get the steel and he will weld up the stand for me to whatever demensions I need.

dafunk5446

I am thinking I am going to use 10 gallons that why the stand wouldnt have to be any bigger then a 55 gallon tank. But if I did use 20 gallons, they would be longs not the talls, so depth would be the same using either tank. Another reason I think I am going to use 10's is cost. I can get three 10's for the cost of one 20 long. Yet another question for everybody, got any ideas what kind of pump I should use? I am guessing the total gallons of the system to be around 80-90 ish with the tens, or 100-110 with 20's. As for head height it will be around 7-7.5 feet.