Zoanthid Help

Cavinca

So this weekend i got a frag of zoanthids. I was really look at zoanthids but i ended up with some fore free... My question is this:
My zoanthids came on a rubber-like bottle cap mount. What do i do with this frag? do i attach the mount to the rock i want and just let it grow over it, or do i cut it free and mount the skeleton to the rock? and How do i go about this cutting free? right now it the mount is glued about midway in the tank so it wouldnt float around.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's really up to you. Some people will mount plug & all to the rock. Some people will remove from THAT plug, reglue to another and then mount it to a rock. Or if you, remove from that plug and mount directly to your rock work.

Cutting free is simple.... very carefully take a razor and cut it acros the bottom "slicing" it from the plug. Then glue it to whatever you like using either Marine Epoxy or Super Glue "GEL".

Cougra

Pictures would help if possible, however zoanthids don't have skeletons. They are a soft coral that will grow in a mat over any surface.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yeah Carl I have to agree with Michelle. I can't really picture what you're talking about here. The only thing I can think of that would resemble a "skeleton" would be some part of the rock or structure it grew on originally. Sometimes when making frags we actually break or cut off some of the rock and glue that.

A pic would really go a LONG way here :)

Cavinca

sorry no pic. im at work. the 'plug' im describing looks like a bottle cap off a coke. its made of rubber. from what i can see the zoanthid is attached to the plug by what i mistakened as a skeleton base. the base is white and has a calcium bone-ish feel to it. the base goes through the top of the rubber plug. i tried to pop it out but when i push the base up through the rubber it kinda chipped of a little.

sorry thats the best i can do... if you cant help ill try to post a pic later...

Triggerjay

It is prob a cap from a flower tube. These have been popping up in the trade latley as frag plugs, due to the fact that the tube fits inside egg-crate well, and the cap is removeable. The frag is stuck in the slit where a flower would normally penetrate the cap. I would just glue the cap to your rock where you want the zoas to grow. It won't be long until the cap is hidden with the growth. Sounds like a good job for Aqua Putty!

Jason

goldenmean

I would just leave the zoa on the plug.
They have probably been through a lot recently and dont need any more stress right now.

Tru2nr

yeah thats sounds exactly like what my zoa's came on and so what i did was just take a razor blade to the base and very slowly slit it off