Zoa Spiders

Janka

So I learned all too late about Zoa Spiders. By the time I figured out that Zoa spiders were the cause for my depleting Zoa's, it was too late. Lost 3 colonies about 75-100 heads each. Had them for 2 years :( Ever since they died off, I decided I wouldn't do Zoa's anymore, but 8 months later I would like to have Zoa's again. I never fully took care of the spider problem as i know, but I have been doing some research on them. I have some questions that I can't find answers for.

Do Zoa spiders need Zoa's to survive?

What are the chances they have survived the last 8 months?

Is there a way to treat my tank before I add some zoa's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I loved my Zoa's and woild like to give them another go

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Aaron information about these is scattered here and there. One thing for sure is they do eat Zoas and they are hard to see and even harder to kill. So far the only treatments I've found are the old tried and true FW dip or an Epson Salt Bath. Both of which is done outside of your tank.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If I were you, I would try and bait them......get a bad/ugly group of zoas, put them in the tank and dip them as often as possible (assuming the zoas can handle it)......only way i can think of.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like that idea Bryan!! Or is it Brian? I have 2 cousins and each one uses the other spelling so I never get them right with hardly anyone.

Janka

Never thought about baiting them. I think I'll give that a shot and hope my lfs has a crappy looking zoa. Not looking forward to this fun all over again, but if I want Zoa's, it has to be done >.<

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Aaron even though you're "Baiting" I'd dip the incoming Zoa colony as to not introduce anything to your system and EVERY coral from this point forward would get a dip.

Janka

Ya, I learned my lesson the hard way at the cost of my corals. Will never make that mistake again! Thanks for the ideas and help.

steved13

PREMIUM
The only trouble I see with this plan is, I can almost guarantee those ugly Zoas are going to do very well in your tank, and you'll end up with a large colony of Zoas you don't like.

LOL Mostly kidding, but I can see it happening. There are some beauties that are really inexpensive though.