Zoa problem... maybe

Seprock

I bought a frag over the weekend that has about 50 Zoas on it. I noticed once I got it home and in my RSM that a few of them has white spots on them. They are fully open and extended and look happy. I have researched on several sites trying to find an answer. Some people suggest it is Zoa Pox. I have researched that, and in every instance of Zoa pox the spots are either on the stalk or the outside, and the heads usually will not open. I was able to get a decent picture showing the spots, and I am wondering if it is a parasite of some kind, or maybe if I am lucky some rare morphed zoa. Anyone have any ideas??
2dgqma8.jpg

cbrownfish

The speckles on the face of the polyp are not "zoa pox". Zoa pox are typically on the stalk and underside of the polyp. There are several varieties of zoanthids that show those type of speckles, specifically in greens with an orange mouth. Sometimes speckles can show up as a lighting anomaly too. Your zoas are likely stressed and dealing with multiple environment changes. All you can do is wait, reduce lighting as a precaution (if your lighting is intense), and increase flow slightly.

Whipitup

I bought a frag over the weekend that has about 50 Zoas on it. I noticed once I got it home and in my RSM that a few of them has white spots on them. They are fully open and extended and look happy. I have researched on several sites trying to find an answer. Some people suggest it is Zoa Pox. I have researched that, and in every instance of Zoa pox the spots are either on the stalk or the outside, and the heads usually will not open. I was able to get a decent picture showing the spots, and I am wondering if it is a parasite of some kind, or maybe if I am lucky some rare morphed zoa. Anyone have any ideas??
2dgqma8.jpg

I have some that are just the same (been in the tank for a few months) I assumed it was just the colour that they are!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's either as cbrownfish suggested or they might indeed a part of the actual coral coloration that just didn't show up in the store where you got them.

Just watch them for any further problems.

jamielai

I have an orange zoa also with the same spots that I have had for a few months. I just recently moved it alittle lower in my tank. I think it is getting better flow but I don't see as many spots.