zigz 55 gal television

Frankie

RS STAFF
Just as Gina said. Vanquish's thread has some good info on how he caught them. He used an hour glass shaped glass to do it. they go in to getthe food but can't get out once in. Seems like a good idea to me. The reason why your plants are dieing is most likely the lighting imo. They could be getting burned out. And the water quality is very good. I see no growth from picture to picture. these plants feed on fish poop and such. How much water changes are you doing a week? this could be another reason. Your keeping the water clean. :) not a bad thing for a reef! Try focusing on corals instead of plants. you would do very well i think. Besides...... those plants could take over a tank if you let them.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
im only doing changes every two weeks or so and i just started that...the lights are only 250watts of pc so i doubt thats why ..im using the plants as a skimmer so therefore i dont have one i like the plants alot and if they die out then im gonna have to get a skimmer...geez one more thing to worry about..i wish they would take over cause then i could sell them to the LFS and have plenty aswell...but i seems im losing them alllook at this photo compared to previous:
noplantsshrimp002.jpg

oh and the reason why there wasnt so much growth on the plants is cuz the photo was taken days apart

:thumbup: :thumbup: i will check out vanquish's thread for sure thanks

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
just thought id share a couple of new frags i got over the weekend..mostly zoas they had my local club meeting and some members brought some in.
here i a pic of some riccs that i picked up aswell ~green threre's about 7 polyps 3 that are big
zoafrags010.jpg

red skirts
zoafrags005.jpg

theses are my fav...

zoafrags006.jpg

here these are bright orange skirts with orange centers
zoafrags014.jpg

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
not very good with the camera i also got 3 polyps of blue center zoas couldnt really get them on film...im gonna be setting up a sump here soon too..ive got everything i need except a few lil things.need a float switch too ill be posting my setup soon .

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
Charlie~i think that i have two pepermints they're doing great ~ as far as i can tell.(longest i've been able to keep a pair)..
no, i cant seem to catch any flicks of them.. they only come out when im feeding even then they grab the food and run..weird cuz when i see other peoples tank their shrimp are out ..mine like to hide.

i went by the LFS today and saw some nice(real nice) LR lots of growth ,plants sponges and such ....real heavy though and they wanted 12 dollars a pound..is that outrageous or is that the real price to pay for nice cured LR??? i already have 45 lbs i just wanted to add about another 20-30 lbs but that stuff would be about 50 or so lbs to get the amount i need we're talkin 600 smackers!!! the LFS where i got my other rock sells theirs for 5.00 a pound totally different rock but...man id rather upgrade my lights for that.

what do you guys think???

Gina

RS STAFF
Personally, I wouldn't pay $12/lb!
Where is the LR from?

I agree with you in upgrading your lights instead of buying LR for the amount you would have to spend.

lcstorc

That is a crazy price IMHO. Maybe I would buy one medium size rock and hope things move from it to the others in the tank. It very well may. I have been told sponges cannot stand the air even for a brief time so if I was told correctly those are not likely to live.
Another thing i can't help thinking is if it is that heavy how porus(sp) is it? Generally you want rock with lots of air space for the bacteria grow. I would think that rock would be lighter.
Not totally sure on that, but bottom line, at most, I would buy one rock at that price, and I would probably not even do that.

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
yea this particular rock that i was checking out(ONE ROCK MIND YOU) was 85 dollars alone...now thats a really nice coral..or two even.

my rock anenome decided to split ..i just noticed this yesterday lil baby oone right next to it...anyone want it??i cant have two

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
just logging in today... wanted to share with you my new clam...these flicks dont do justice the colors are awesome blue rim then it fdes to a pale green/ earthtone ...i was against getting a clam again but i thought this one was cool ..
its small still i put it up higher till i can get better lighting (250 watts of pc) sorry my camera skills are no good theres one with a flash and one without..the third one gives an idea of where in the tank it is thanks for checkin..!:thumbup:
clammie004.jpg

clammie007.jpg

clammie008.jpg

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
well i got my new fish today ..i was suppossed to get a labouti wrasse but the guy swindled me(explained in another thread) ..anyways

i ended up with this candy hogfish very cool looking fish ..hope all does well time wil tell here it is not a very good photo:
hogfish014.jpg

Looks like a yellow coris with red in it pretty cool lookin :shades:

iluvzigz

PREMIUM
well looks to be ok so far he was eating a bit of mysis today..found himself a lil home and everything everyone seems to be getting along so far yay for lil hoggy.

lcstorc

Yippie! Glad he is eating and everyone seems to be getting along.
I always worry at this point when adding new livestock, but sounds like this one is doing good for you.
:)