zenia melting..

fishheads

well my zenia has been passing for the last couple of hours,slowly shriveling away...what should i do,remove him or let him stay in my tank..some people say leave them because they might come back....what is your suggestion:drool:

bluespotjawfish

That's too bad fishheads. Do you have a place you could put it in a separate container to monitor it? If there is anything at all left of it when it is done, it will come back, but you don't want it to pollute your tank in the meantime. What have you tried to save it? I would dip it in an iodine dip, then put what is left of in a container on fresh saltwater, matching parameters as much as possible and keeping the water aerated. You will likely need to do a few major WCs on the container to keep it from being polluted as well before it is done doing its thing. If it isn't melting away too bad, I have also done just the dip, placed it in fresh saltwater just long enough to rinse the loose stuff off of it, then put back what is left of it into the tank (depending on size of the tank and what else is in the tank).

Good karma headed your way...

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The iodine dip is a good idea. I had a HUGE colony of pompom xenia on my back glass once and it all melted away for no apparent reason....

bluespotjawfish

My zenia really love iodine on a regular basis, they talk to me and tell me when I need to add more. I do have a test kit that I use, but they (the zenia) have never been wrong yet. I've heard of several reports of Zenia thriving for a long time in a tank and then just melting like you describe. Mine is thriving a bit too much right now, but so far it's been easily managed. I'll take that over the melting any day.