Zebra eel, Peacefull?

Would you trust a zebra eel in your reef without any Crustaceans in the tank?

• Yes, Completely

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • No! Its an Eel!

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • I rather stick with my crab, Thanks

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I kinda do, but im afraid to risk it.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Morays are Morays one day they are greart the next they can turn I know witfull has had on in his reef for a while & I know others that have had them & a tank full of fish when they went to bed & woke up with a fat eel & no fish

tbittner

Here is a little video of feeding time in our predator tank. This is a smallish 16" snowflake eel. Those are good sized triggers he is chasing around. Clowns and other smaller fish wouldn't stand a chance.

I wouldn't consider even putting one of these smaller morays in a reef tank.

plecosword

Here is a little video of feeding time in our predator tank. This is a smallish 16" snowflake eel. Those are good sized triggers he is chasing around. Clowns and other smaller fish wouldn't stand a chance.

I wouldn't consider even putting one of these smaller morays in a reef tank.

lol! crazy eel, I dont trust Snowflakes with peaceful fish, but I want to know about the Zebra more though.
Cool tank btw, what size is it?

tbittner

Every fish/eel is an individual with an individual personality. If you really want one, get one. You might be fortunate enough to get one that leaves all your other fish alone. But also don't be surprised to wake up one morning to a tank void of fish, except for the eel.

I saw pictures of a snowflake, which btw is basically the same as a zebra, eat a large foxface. The poster caught the tail end of the foxface going into the snowflakes mouth.

plecosword

lol, Its not their fault they come from eels! What if they are different?:grind:
I think there is another eel that is suppose to be just as peacful, Banned eel or something.

SubRosa

Let's get our terminology straight.Yes Zebra Morays are very peacefull.But they are extremely predatory.They will not bother anything unless they think it's food.Aggression and predation are two very different things.If a fish is far too big for the eel to even think about eating it it will be left alone.

John

BoomerD

I'm gonna agree with the naysayers here. The zebra may be relatively non-aggressive, but it IS an eel, and eels eat what they can fit in their mouths...fish, crustaceans, etc. They're fine in a FOWLR with larger fish though.

missionsix66

In my experience with the zebra moray, they are safe with fish. They have smashers for teeth. Eating mainly crusties/inverts etc. They are very messy and very clumsy. This doesn't mean they won't eat fish. If they aren't getting enough food they will resort to eating what they have to. In general like stated above an eel is an eel. Poor eyesight and a good sniffer with a big appetite.

plecosword

This thing can rip your fingers out, 1200lb on a metal bar, we did it in the ocean. Put glove on but it will crush your fingers like nothing. Better know what your getting into.:eek:verhere: :smck: :read:
oh I know! they have a powerful mouth for crushing crabbies. after seeing all the shraks with tangs at the aquarium of the pacific, it made me want to try puting this guy with a pair of dartfish. eating fish for them is like spinich for us, they will eat them if hungry. Dartfish are pretty darn fast though, and the zebra's mouth evolved for crushing so fish can easily slip of their mouths.

LPSLuver

I've had many eels over the years and would trust a Zebra above all of them in any non-crustacean containing tank. Form fits function and these creatures are not designed to eat fish, or even catch them. I would not put them in a tank that has loose coral or rock work because, as previously stated, they are clumbsy.

The key to all eels is to keep them well fed and have a good filtration system. Feed them as much as they can eat 2 times per week and all should be fine. The key is to feed them until they refuse to take any more food. Store bought cocktail shrimp is just fine, occasionally soaked in Selcon or Zoecon.

A 55 is on the small side form a filtration perspective but these are not very active so the space is not an issue until they get over about 2 feet.

plecosword

I've had many eels over the years and would trust a Zebra above all of them in any non-crustacean containing tank. Form fits function and these creatures are not designed to eat fish, or even catch them. I would not put them in a tank that has loose coral or rock work because, as previously stated, they are clumbsy.

The key to all eels is to keep them well fed and have a good filtration system. Feed them as much as they can eat 2 times per week and all should be fine. The key is to feed them until they refuse to take any more food. Store bought cocktail shrimp is just fine, occasionally soaked in Selcon or Zoecon.

A 55 is on the small side form a filtration perspective but these are not very active so the space is not an issue until they get over about 2 feet.
I could not have heard it better! but most zebras are imported when they are large. someone is selling a 150g on craigslist localy here. its for $150 and comes with all equipment for freshwater setup. I think that would a perfect setup for it.