ZAPCOnj's 40 Gallon Breeder Adventure

coraldynamics

RS Sponsor
Looking good my friend! I agree on the ID of M. verrucosa, also the Turbinaria reniformis is correct as well. Also called Pagoda Cup Coral. That one looks like yellow rim and polyps.

Very nice! Tagging along

sambrinar

thanks guys...

Sambrinar - I have more to spend... the LFS gets their fish and coral on Thursday so who knows what the day after tomorrow will bring! haha... they're supposed to be getting in some nice corals and clams in ... lol.. we'll see. the GF is anxious to get her new tank up... the problem is finding a full day to get everything moved over and the old tank moved out.

Well it is the day after tomorrow.. did you go shopping yet???

ZAPCOnj

hehe.. i wish.. I'm gonna stop by the LFS tomorrow.

I did however score a nice deal for a 15 polyp frag of Orange eyes ZOOs and a slightly larger than Soft ball size Rock Full of Lime green and hulk green zoos for $20 haha! i would guess and say over 100 polyps on the rock. picking it up on Saturday on the way home.

ZAPCOnj

12.07.08 Update

ok here is today's update:

Over the weekend I picked up a few things.. well i was given 1 and bought 3. I was able to secure a nice size frag of Blue Zoas.. about 11 polyps for $25. :) everywhere i've been looking they're about $40 plus shipping. I found them tucked away in my LFS's frag tanks.

While i was there i found a Copper Banded Butterfly. He's been with them for about a week and is eating frozen brine and mysis like a champ. he's a little smaller beak to tail than a business card and has wonderful color. He was housed in a tank with coral (zoa's, yellow polyps, and zenias) and he didn't touch them. I;m hoping that he follows suit in my tank.

While i was there i also secured a small rock of Neon green Zoas with green rims. The little bit of rock they were on had about 7 polyps near the bottom so i was able to frag them off the frag..... and glued them to a plug.... there was a stray polyp so he got his own plug lol...

they also gave me a small frag of Pink Zoa's they didn't open up much for the photos but hey look pretty cool....

My Fire fish's top fin has grown a bit.

Anyway.. here are the pics:

FTS
106814155.jpg

copper banded butterfly:
106814077.jpg

106814070.jpg

106814075.jpg

New Blue Zoa Frag:
106814080.jpg

106814122.jpg

New green zoa frag and the 2 frags that came from the frag:
106814107.jpg

106814109.jpg

New Pink Zoa Frag:
106814117.jpg

Cup Coral (you can see the green is popping and what looks like polyps extended, last weeks photos show them closed up.)
106814085.jpg

this weeks close up:
106814082.jpg

last weeks close up:
106554071.jpg

Hawkins:
106814088.jpg

106814091.jpg

one of my ricis
106814097.jpg

Yellow Polyps (my shrimp stopmped the poor guys right before i snapped the photos. they are usually fully open and extended... i'll try and get another shot tomorrow)
106814100.jpg

Red Planet (my aqua mags didn't come yet so this guy is not mounted yet according to the tracking info it will be in my hands tomorrow! so tomorrow night i will mount them up!):
106814113.jpg

Ribbon:
106814126.jpg

106814130.jpg

my fire fish posing for the camera (his top fin grew a little since last week):
106814134.jpg

Zoa Colony:
106814104.jpg

a quick shot of my lights:
106814143.jpg

I also noticed some nice purple starting to show in my tank!! :)
106814147.jpg

106814151.jpg

well that is this weeks update.

I'm pretty happy with the tank so far. top offs are about every 2 days. a much nicer improvement over the biocube... that was every day. Glass cleaning is every other day as well. with Xmas on the way there is talks of a clam in my future.. we'll see.....

also, the LED HQI equivalents are working out very nice so far

ZAPCOnj

Yep. I used most of it for holiday shopping but put about $1000 aside for my tank :) I still have about $800 left

ZAPCOnj

Wow Zap great picts, lovin' the fishies!! Great growth from the light!! nice.. Ummm I want....

hehe... you already have one... :) you need ANOTHER one! ;)

I think I'm going to be setting up a small frag system hooked in to my current sump. it will fit nicely next to the current tank and i can route all the hoses behind the cabinets...

hmm..... a 20 tall will fit or a standard 10gal.... lighting will be another Coral Dynamics LED with supplemental Dual Actinic bulbs... I'm really liking how they make the tank look....

sambrinar

Yes I do need another light (hint, hint hehehe).. still waiting for my bigger tank. I may have a light made like yours, yours looks great!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Re: 12.07.08 Update

Looking GREAT buddy :) Me likey!!
:thumber:

All I can say is.....
Red Planet (my aqua mags didn't come yet so this guy is not mounted yet according to the tracking info it will be in my hands tomorrow! so tomorrow night i will mount them up!):
106814113.jpg

DIBS on first frag from that one! I want one of those :)

Hook a brother UP on that one :D I'm gonna expect continuously updated pics of it :D

ZAPCOnj

you got it bigal. They have 2 more of these at the lfs along with 2 more hawkins and a greenish one that looks like the hawkins.. i may go get them too... i'm liking them alot.

I will be doing weekly updates unless something comes up or if i have something cool to add. like say a clam.. .mid week... or a nice colony of zoa's that i'm considering spending some big coin on..... :) hehe.... it's great when you have some $ to spend....

by the way.. to all the younger reefers out there.... GOING SLOW is the name of the game. Bigal and may others here will tell you.. this is not only a good thing for the tank but it helps you save some money so you can buy some nice stuff when you're ready...

put at least $20 a week away and set a day of the month to go and buy things. this way you will have $80 a month to spend on frags or fish. buying once a month (especially when fish are involved) will allow your tank to mature a bit and adjust to the bio loads. If there is nothing to buy that month then great! next month you will have $160 to spend! Call it the "TANK FUND"

just a little plan for those with shallower pockets than others.

ZAPCOnj

I added the aqua mags to my tank today. I didn't mount any coral to it yet as i'm not sure how i want them in the tank. the guys at AQUA MAG were nice enough to send me two different pieces instead of the same one, this will allow me to kind of keep the natural look of the rock in the tank.... well... to a certain extent. lol.

FTS w/aquamags:
106856714.jpg

FTS w/out aquamags:
106814155.jpg

left side:
106856305.jpg

106856313.jpg

right side:
106856308.jpg

106856310.jpg

I think they look pretty good in the tank. they definatly will give me more "higher light" and higher flow areas to mount some more coral...

thoughts/comments?

Jeremy0322

It will blend in much better as algae gets rid of that gray color. In time you will forget they are even there. Tanks coming along very nicely!

ZAPCOnj

After looking at the tank this morning before i left i do like the way they look. Just have to wait until the algae gets started on there... I Was thinking about getting a few of the smaller aqua mags to put on the overflow to cover that up a bit... ya think that might just be a little too much?

I will be ordering two of these Aqua Rocks for the GF's tank (setting it up this weekend if all goes well)