yorkieUK's 4ft Glass Box (170 ltr UK / 45 gal US)

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
:wave:Hi everyone :crowd:
As usual, I've thrown myself in at the deep end :drown: with some new livestock.
Di will be happy to know that I have a Green Mandarin (not sure if it is m/f yet, still very small:fishy:).
In addition to the Mandarin, I've also got a pair of Cubicus Boxfish (yes, I know they can be poisonous when stressed:poke:, but my Sea Hare hasn't been stressed so I figure these won't be either :dunno: afterall, mine is a peaceful tank:hug1:) plus a pair of Yellow Banded Pipefish.
I've also bought four small Acan frags.
:camera:Sorry about the quality of the photos.

050_zps026bbd1b.jpg
008_zps5168ab9c.jpg
032_zpsfbc3c589.jpg
011_zps1bc55875.jpg
009_zps8776df40.jpg
004_zpsc712fda5.jpg
WP_20140927_004_zpse85b4db8.jpg

Oxylebius

Nice pics. All interesting fish, but can hard to feed. What are your plans to keep their bellies full? Is the mandarin captive breed?

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Nice pics. All interesting fish, but can hard to feed. What are your plans to keep their bellies full? Is the mandarin captive breed?

Hi Oxy.
I had a spare 16 Ltr tank which I have set-up as a live-food tank.
It's got a mixture of Copepods, Baby Brine & Mysis in it.
I inject them into natural holes throughout the live-rock and the fish hunt for them naturally.
I've been keeping an eye on them and all are finding them and feeding on them.
With your background in Marine Biology, I'd welcome any comment or suggestions.
Cheers,
Wayne.

Oxylebius

If you haven't already, check out Paul B's chronicle, he has both the Mandarin and Pipefish, and he has devised ways to feed them that you may be interested in. Both fish are known to eat live foods only, though over time the Mandarin might take to other foods. These fish will be a little more demanding of your time if you want to keep them fed, as you are aware since you are already cultivating live food for them.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Yeah, I've followed Paul's thread since last year. I also follow Di Kay and remember following the progress of her mandarin.
I'm not wanting to go down the route of training them to eat from a pot with mesh over the top (not that there is anything wrong with that), I'm happier watching my fish behave naturally, seeking-out their food as they would in the natural environment.
I still welcome all advice and comments, as it is good to have alternative views and methods to consider.